Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 98 ]  [ Total: 101 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy
Page: of 64

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  6:02:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

mike, I enjoyed all the pictures. The boxcar came out sharp and the shops scene looks great.

Bob,

Thank you for the favorable comments on my boxcar and shops.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  7:23:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike,

Nice cars, and the car shop looks amazing. I love your colour choice.

Take care,
Rob.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  9:27:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robchant

Hi Mike,

Nice cars, and the car shop looks amazing. I love your colour choice.

Take care,
Rob.

Rob,

Thank you.

You got me thinking about the colors I use for my railroad structure. As far as I can recall the first time I used the buff and green was when I built a Campbell Wayside Station kit in 1976. I was in grad school at the time and had not done any model railroading for a decade, and it was another decade before I started up in the hobby again. Why did I decide to use these colors? No idea. Yet when I re-entered the hobby in the late 80ís I picked the colors back up and stuck with them because they seem right for the period.

I have no idea what colors the Southern Central used but after the Lehigh Valley took over the SC depots were painted a couple tones of gray, I believe.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 02/11/2018 9:28:51 PM

ekul24
New Hire

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  01:20:11 AM  Show Profile  Send ekul24 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mike, those are really fine looking box cars and a great scene. I love the moody dark sky.

I've been wanting to try a similar looking sky but haven't yet progressed past 'blue'.

Thanks for sharing.

Luke Blackbeard

http://thoroughfaregaprailroad.blogspot.co.nz/

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  09:44:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Luke,

Thank you for looking in and for your kind words. I looked up your blog and will be reading it some more.

As for the sky, itís simply white and gray paint, slopped on quickly with more white near the horizon.

Mike

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  2:04:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike,

I know what you mean about past influences on colours. I have always liked off white with green trim, and I am not sure if it was from early exposure to Maine 2-footers, or something else. All I know the colour combination strikes something in me that says "this looks so right" when it comes to railway colour choice. They are the colours I will be using on my On30 layout.

Take care,
Rob.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  5:09:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, great looking fleet of cars that you have so finely crafted.
Made only better, by having them all in front of your great looking shops.

Greg Shinnie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  5:55:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Greg!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  10:44:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've decided to build a coal trestle, a simple ramp up to about 10' and several bins. No shed on this one. Simple, but lots of parts and repetition.

First I figured out bent heights for a 4% grade with transitions top and bottom:

I am most of the way through building bents:

I see a few places where I need to scrape off some glue that escaped.

Here's my two-part jig:

I've started cutting and staining cross braces. I use a light brown water-based furniture stain followed by Hunterline Medium Brown. This is after the first stain:

Here are braces after the staining is complete:

And finally, I've painted the nbw's I'll need. I'll probably add some rust before I actually install them.

If weather is nice tomorrow I might take a break for some airbrush work on the LV boxcar under construction.

Mike

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  11:02:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Nice! I like coal ramps and yours has good color!
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2018 :  08:59:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Dave.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2018 :  09:33:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good Mike.

Which brand/model nbw's are you using there?

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2018 :  10:36:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Looks good Mike.

Which brand/model nbw's are you using there?

Carl,

Thank you. The parts are Tichy 8142. Iím trying to decide if they are a little too large or not.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2018 :  10:44:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice start Mike, this is going to another interesting project to follow. One criticism, your paperwork is too neat, it eliminates chance for error.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2018 :  10:55:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Bob.

If you saw my handwriting youíd know why I printed out a table. Also, I used a little math in a spreadsheet to figure out the transitions and bent heights, as well as length of uprights once the horizontal beams and stringer thicknesses were subtracted from total bent heights.

Mike

Page: of 64 Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000