Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 127 ]  [ Total: 132 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy
Page: of 64

BlairM
Section Hand

Posted - 01/10/2018 :  8:48:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

I know movement of the wood over time creates problems with warping and separation...
Mike

Exactly, I trust wood glue much more for wood joints with sealer coming after.
Here is a vintage assembled Ambroid kit that experienced contraction across the grain, possibly a kit sealed and then glued together.

The wood kits need to built with consideration for how the wood will shrink across the grain, like an old table, the sugar pine wood is prone to directional contraction over time. I think all wood glue is another good way to assure better joints.

Regarding detail, not too much is really required, good dimensional proportions, a good paint job, and good lettering really are the most visual effects on the car in the end.

Edited by - BlairM on 01/10/2018 8:54:11 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2018 :  8:57:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

Forgot to step in here and mention how nice your in-process boxcar is turning out. What will you be doing for Erie decals? A set you have stashed, or from a current source?

Andre,

Thank you. I will be using a set left over from a Canfield and McGlone resin kit I built several years ago.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  9:19:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today I completed a model of a New York, Lake Erie and Western boxcar. I started with a LaBelle kit for a 34' SOO boxcar and made a few changes in details to match a photo and drawings.

This brings my fleet of Erie boxcars up to seven:

The two Traders Despatch cars are wood, one built from a Trout Creek kit, the other scratchbuilt; the Diamond Line car is scratchbuilt from styrene; the Erie Despatch car in the back is scratchbuilt from styrene; the Erie Elevator car and Great Western Despatch cars are from resin kits as described in my "Canfield and McGlone Resin Kits."

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

BlairM
Section Hand

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  9:29:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
I enjoy looking at your fleet all together, there is such a great variety of early body styles that really captures the per-standardization era that we like to model.
The different proportions of those cars really set the look; superb cars, nicely done.

Blair

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  9:38:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice fleet, Mike! Bravo!

Pete
in Michigan

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  9:40:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Love the various logos and colour tones, Mike!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  10:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blair, Pete, and Mike, Thank you.

This is what I see when I'm sitting in my train room and look down to the part of my layout I've been working on in recent months.

Mike

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  10:07:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. Great looking fleet of Erie cars, Mike.

Makes me realize that I still have so much more work ahead.

Andre

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  10:31:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work on those Erie's Mike'..

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  10:34:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Great fleet of cars. I love the time frame you are modeling and I might add doing a fantastic job!
Dave

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  05:57:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, those boxcars make me think about changing the C&V to an earlier time.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  08:29:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, that's a beautiful string of cars.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  08:36:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

Wow. Great looking fleet of Erie cars, Mike.

Makes me realize that I still have so much more work ahead.

Andre

Andre,

Thank you!

I feel the same way. There always seems to be a lot of work yet to do. Just completing the unfinished models I’ve started—machine shop, brewery, cabooses, resin LV boxcars, coal trestle, carriage factory—is a daunting prospect.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 02/05/2018 08:39:44 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  08:56:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ted, Dave, Bill and Frank,

Thank you for your kind words.

With regard to modeling this early period, it’s a challenge. My main source of decals is no longer in business and there are no locomotives on the market that fit my needs.

But I enjoy a challenge. And there is more information out there than I expected. The internet has been a big help.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  12:29:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mike, I enjoyed all the pictures. The boxcar came out sharp and the shops scene looks great.

It's only make-believe

Page: of 64 Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000