Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 142 ]  [ Total: 149 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Page: of 64

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2017 :  10:15:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Two great looking cars. I must have missed it but what scale at you modeling in?

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2017 :  1:10:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Two great looking cars. I must have missed it but what scale at you modeling in?

Thank you, Frank.

I model HO scale. I’m not sure I’ve ever mentioned it.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2017 :  1:44:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, that's a great looking boxcar.

Greg Shinnie

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/27/2017 :  3:11:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That Bitter Creek product is nice. Well done Mike.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2017 :  4:58:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Greg and Carl.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/30/2017 :  11:45:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks very nice Mike! I have only built the box car and the gondola but I think the box car was very nice to build.

Håkan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/30/2017 :  4:01:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

Looks very nice Mike! I have only built the box car and the gondola but I think the box car was very nice to build.

Håkan

Håkan,

Thank you. If I remember correctly, my decision to try the Bitter Creek boxcar was based on photos you posted a couple of years ago.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2018 :  10:31:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My contribution to the "Take one down ..." Challenge Thread" is a LaBelle SOO RR boxcar kit, modified of course. It will become a NYLE&WRR "Erie Express" 34' boxcar. Several day's work and I have the basic box complete as well as the major parts of the door hardware.

Now come the very small details.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 01/07/2018 10:41:23 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  09:33:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice looking, nice mixing of the media.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  09:47:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

nice looking, nice mixing of the media.

Thank you, Bob.

Yes, as you know, wood and styrene both have their uses.

Mike

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  11:20:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, What do you use to glue the thing styrene strip to raw wood?

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  12:34:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Mike, What do you use to glue the thing styrene strip to raw wood?

Bill, I use ACC gel.

Mike

BlairM
Section Hand

Posted - 01/10/2018 :  4:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice combination of materials, I always love the in progress shots of the raw work.

Michael, how do you treat the wood for the Labelle kits? I think the old tradition was to completely seal everything and then assemble. But assembling raw wood and then sealing is also an option.

I think the La Belle method was to seal and then assemble, this allowed for any wood grain "hairs" that lifted up to be removed over the whole wood sheet, right up into any corners.

Although the sealing method would seem to not allow the use of traditional wood glue then. For a boxcar side, 2 scribed sheets often needed to be joined together with wood glue, then sealed, then assembled. Lots of the old kits that were assembled decades ago now have had separations of these sheets; a shame after all the work.

Looking forward to hearing your method.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2018 :  5:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blair,

Thank you. I never know how much detail to go in to.

Interesting question. I know movement of the wood over time creates problems with warping and separation, one of the reasons I prefer styrene over wood for boxcar construction. I do not seal the wood at all. Instead I try to make sure the joins are almost invisible, use a little wood glue between the edges of adjoining sheets, and hope for the best.

The LaBelle site has various articles on building wood kits.

Mike

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/10/2018 :  7:00:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike!

Forgot to step in here and mention how nice your in-process boxcar is turning out. What will you be doing for Erie decals? A set you have stashed, or from a current source?

Andre

Page: of 64 Previous Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000