Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy Topic Next Topic: forced perception question
Page: of 64

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  12:43:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice! For some reason, I never thought about using scraps of scribed siding for these kinds of jigs.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  1:02:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Cool jig. Well done Mike!

What Carl said!

Pete
in Michigan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  6:18:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl, Bob, Galen, Andre, Dave, and Pete, Thank you for all the kind words.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  7:05:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, great idea for combination drilling and bending jig! Are you using brass or phosphor bronze wire?

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  7:45:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,

Thank you.

The wire is phosphor bronze from Tichy.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  9:32:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay... looked over what yer doin'... and how yer doin' it... and all I can say is... BRILLIANT!

Like the others, never entered my mind to use scribed siding to make jigs, but doing so would lend itself for the jig to be nice and square.

I say there, ol' Chap, well done! Well done, indeed!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  10:17:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

Thank you for the superlatives! Best of all, those little scraps are free.

Mike

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  11:06:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a very good invention Mike'..Nice'..

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  4:28:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

That is a very good invention Mike'..Nice'..

Ted, Thank you!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  4:34:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
End railings started:

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  7:07:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy! When they built these cars they really were listening to a different drummer. looking really sharp Mike.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  10:36:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Some of the early railroads that grew into sizeable systems like the NYC, PRR and LV (in those days) each went their own way and had fairly distinctive designs. The NYC ran large fleet of boxcars with the unusual roofwalks discussed on another thread, the PRR had those wooden ladders and tunnel brakes, and the LV liked those small cupolas.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  12:12:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the lack of standardization is one of the things that I really like about the era. Knowing that I'm still often surprised by the diversity that existed.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/26/2017 :  10:31:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Two years ago I built a Bitter Creek 34' boxcar kit with a few modifications to the fascia and door hardware to model a Michigan Central "Canada Southern Line" car. Recently I realized that I had never completed it, so I finished the lettering, applied a little weathering, and here's the result:

These are really nice kits and I look forward to constructing more in the future.

Mike

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/27/2017 :  01:09:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks GREAT!

I think I'll enjoy BC's kits once I get to that point.

Page: of 64 Previous Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy Topic Next Topic: forced perception question  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000