Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 133 ]  [ Total: 138 ]  [ Newest Member: Loren Johnsen ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Page: of 64

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  10:17:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

quote:
Originally posted by railman28
[br And Cheaper than 3d printing them would be.

Bob,

Thank you.

I do like the physical process of measuring, cutting, assembling and gluing.

Mike

As do I. But we do what we need to get the job done right?

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 09/30/2017 10:19:15 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/02/2017 :  9:13:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I worked on household projects over the weekend and returned to the bobbers over lunch today. The next step was to add fascia to each side, fashioning the part over the platforms to an "S" curve. Unsure how I was going to do this, it took a couple of tries. I had success adding 0.01 by 0.04 fascia, cementing short strips of .03 by .04 styrene behind the part of the fascia extending over the platforms, and shaping them with files.

The bobber in the rear is ready for the fascia, and the one in the front has the fascia added to both sides and the fancy profile formed.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 10/02/2017 9:15:25 PM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/02/2017 :  9:32:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Mike'..They are going to look good once they start bobbing along'...

Ted

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/02/2017 :  9:41:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

Nice work Mike'..They are going to look good once they start bobbing along'...

Like the red, red robin . . .

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/02/2017 :  10:01:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, I'v been reaching for a little humor after enduring a very sad day'..for America...

Ted

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/02/2017 :  11:16:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
OMG! .01,.03,.04 styrene! How do you see it let along glue it in place?
Nice work!
Dave

BlairM
Section Hand

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  01:38:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice fascia details, I wondered how you were going to do those!
I never noticed, but the bobber in the archer book has horns mounted at the end of the running board. I would have thought that was a step too far, but here is the evidence that it was actually done. Heh, Just make them small enough if you decide to add them...
The window frames came out nice too.Are you adding the cupolas to these? They are strangely narrrow, much more than any other cupolas I have observed.
It's nice that you benefit from the assembly line process here getting 2 by repeating the processes. You are disciplined at doing these multiple builds;
No wonder you put so much effort into building that car shop model, it seems to be paying off.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  07:50:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

Mike, I'v been reaching for a little humor after enduring a very sad day'..for America...

I understand what you mean.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  07:54:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guff

Mike,
OMG! .01,.03,.04 styrene! How do you see it let along glue it in place?

Dave,

Requires a good light. Sometimes I do miss and have to do things over.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  08:02:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blair,

The antlers would be a nice detail but you're correct, only a very fine job would avoid a toy-like appearance.

Yes I plan to do the unusual cupolas. They will be interesting to do.

I often build multiple cars at a time to provide the realistic appearance of a fleet rather than one-off cars.

Mike

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  08:40:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, nice work on the fascia. These are looking good!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  1:38:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Mike, nice work on the fascia. These are looking good!

Thank you, Bill!

--mike

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/09/2017 :  07:10:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Just found this thread. I echo the others' posts. Outstanding work!

Rich

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/09/2017 :  3:56:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich,

Thank you for looking in and for your kind words.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2017 :  6:23:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Car shop news: The main bodies are complete with the addition of the fascia on the second caboose and sills under the windows. I have started on the cupolas and have finished trimming the metal castings for the undercarriage to the right length.

Cupola construction will continue.

Mike

Page: of 64 Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000