Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: RyanAK ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Page: of 64

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2017 :  06:59:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blair,

Thank you. One reason I like modeling this period is being able to build structures cleanly and in good shape. I do plan to do a little weathering, manly around the foundation.

There were a few alterations to this building over time, but still they were done carefully and painted to match the rest of the structure. At least that's how the photos appear in the early years of the plant.

The LV's use of stone was quite impressive now that you mention it. Not so much in my area but I'll have to keep a sharp eye out because it adds so much to period photos where present.

Thank you for commenting.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/07/2017 :  9:51:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike,

I didn't realize that you had a thread on here showing your work. I will have to go thru it when I get the chance. That Swift building looks excellent.

Take care,
Rob.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/07/2017 :  10:11:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob, Thank you. If you have by questions just let me know. I am currently working on a slate roof for the car shop and wiring track. Both are long-term efforts with little to show right now.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2017 :  09:59:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A few quick photos to show what I've been up to over the last month. First, I have nearly completed the roof of the car shop:

I have also made a couple of doors from Rusty Stumps kits:

Meanwhile . . . I have started building three Lehigh Valley cabooses. I have partially completed the underframes and modified the castings to fit the prototype better. Here are two modified castings and one stock piece:

With summer comes more time spent in garden and lawn, but I still manage to get a little work done on the layout.

Mike

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2017 :  10:23:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'll glue the truck castings over the sub-sill on the styrene floor?

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2017 :  10:29:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Yes. The trucks have large tabs on the back for gluing to the sills.

Mike

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2017 :  9:53:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Mike'...How is the scenery coming along....

Ted

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2017 :  11:43:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ted,

Thank you.

Scenery?!? I've been wiring my new track, including power-routing switch throws. Once everything up running well and I'm happy with the track I will ballast and do the scenery

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 06/08/2017 11:47:23 PM

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/09/2017 :  12:10:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
It seems to me that you are making great progress on your projects.
Just roofing the car shop was a sizable job!!
Try not to let the summer time yard work get in the way of modeling.
Dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2017 :  12:33:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
I love the long, rambling, evolved as needed look of the shop building. The cabooses are starting out well too and I trust they'll end well and serve many miles in and on the end.

It's only make-believe

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2017 :  06:32:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, That's not a roof on your car shop it's a ROOOOOF! and it looks good.
I like bobbers even though they are a bit old for my time frame, will watch with enjoyment as you assemble yours.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2017 :  10:32:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys!

Dave, I will try my best.

Bob, Indeed, time to put an end to my trains.

Bill, the roof might be loooong, but it went faster than I expected, fortunately.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2017 :  11:25:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A Little History

In case any of you were wondering, as unlikely as it sounds, the Southern Central was an actual railroad in upstate New York built in the 1870's. It ran almost north-south from Fair Haven on Lake Ontario south to a connection with the Lehigh Valley Railroad. A principal reason for its construction--and the reason for the Lehigh Valley's initial interest, financial support along the way, and eventual takeover--was coal traffic from the anthracite fields in Pennsylvania to shipping on the Great Lakes.

History lesson over.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 06/09/2017 11:26:45 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/24/2017 :  5:03:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been away from home a lot the last two weeks, but have made some progress on installing Caboose Hobbies power-routing ground throws. I'm not fond of their appearance but they do the job.

One thing I learned is that lubricating them helps made them easier to operate.

I have a couple more to install and trackwork will be complete for now.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/24/2017 :  9:55:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a small but important step. You know that switch isn't DCC friendly?

It's only make-believe

Page: of 64 Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000