Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 65 ]  [ Total: 70 ]  [ Newest Member: schantze ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Page: of 64

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2016 :  9:30:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, I was studying your machinery again and the Tyvek reminded me of the last century's ceiling fans used in large facilities. One powered
all of them with straps, very similar to your build'..If I remember correctly, the straps were made of canvas'.

Ted

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2016 :  07:20:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,

That whole belt system looks great. Nice job on the coloring.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/16/2016 :  07:58:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ted, I don't think I've ever noticed ceiling fans powered that way, but when you think about it that makes sense. Power distribution was a little different in those days. During the early years of the petroleum industry there were systems of continuous cable from a central engine to surrounding wells to power the pump jacks. These days it's electric motors for fans and machines. We still have wires but we send electrons through them.

Bernd, thank you. It took a little reading what others had done and some experimentation.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/16/2016 :  2:24:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since Ted mentioned it, I think I've seen belt-driven ceiling fans, but I don't remember when/where. There's a nice belt-driven machine shop at the Henry Ford museum (along with their standard gauge Mason Bogie, well worth the visit!). I also saw -and heard- a belt-driven machine shop on one of the tours from the NNGC in Hickory NC a couple years ago. I think the machinery museum in Windsor VT runs their set-up, but I'm not sure (that's on my list of places to visit.)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/17/2016 :  07:54:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

I've been to the machine shop at the Hagley Museum (DuPont) in Delaware. Next time in VT I might try to go to Windsor.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2016 :  10:52:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After months of working on the walls of my machine shop, delayed by tangents into other model projects or having to obtain supplies, I have finally started gluing the walls together. Over the past few days I had brushed the walls and floor with weathering powders to represent oily grime. Here's the first wall glued to the floor:

You can see the weights I used to hold things in place until the glue dried. I checked to make sure everything was square and then attached the opposite wall:

It feels good to start putting everything together.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2016 :  11:01:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice start. Didn't know you were building a tilt-up %)

It's only make-believe

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/03/2016 :  11:46:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just browsed the thread. One busy project and it all looks great!

Philip

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/04/2016 :  08:14:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

After months of working on the walls of my machine shop, delayed by tangents into other model projects or having to obtain supplies, I have finally started gluing the walls together. It feels good to start putting everything together.

Mike

I had to go back and see when you first mentioned the machine shop, Sept. 2015. Now I don't feel so bad on my many and assorted projects.

Lot's of interesting projects that I need to go back and study, especially the rolling stock ones.

I really like the color of the inside. Looks like a warm honey color. If there's one thing I learned watching you guys do buildings is that one paints/stains first before assembly. Something I never considered. Looking forward to seeing more progress on the machine shop.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2016 :  08:26:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is good to see the structure taking shape, Michael.

That is an interesting assortment of modeling aids that you are using to keep the walls vertical and tight to the base.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/04/2016 :  10:11:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!

Bob, modeling a modern concrete tilt up would be interesting, actually, but a little early for me.

Philip, thank you for looking in.

Bernd, it is rather appalling how long this has taken. In fact, this is part of a larger structure, my car shop, and the first mention of that on this thread is November 2014. As far as the interior, it looks more gray in real life after the powders were applied, but I start out with a honey brown to look like out-of-the-weather, not-quite-new wood.

Bruce, being a geologist I end up with useful objects like mementos from conventions and gifts of interesting rock samples that colleagues cut on a rock saw. When I took the photo I meant to include more explanation on the challenge of gluing the components together so that the surfaces would be squeezed together firmly and perpendicular. My clothespin clamps just would not work.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/04/2016 :  11:16:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael, your machine shop end walls & floor look good and sturdy.
I guess you could say that end wall is really between a rock and a hard place.

Greg Shinnie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/04/2016 :  11:35:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Michael, your machine shop end walls & floor look good and sturdy.
I guess you could say that end wall is really between a rock and a hard place.

Greg Shinnie

Greg, Thank you.

I could but I'm going to stonewall instead.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/04/2016 :  1:46:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
only the way you are erecting the walls reminds me of a modern tilt up. It going to look so good when your done.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/04/2016 :  7:41:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

It going to look so good when your done.

Bob,

Thank you. Your machine shop construction thread of a couple years ago has been a real help, both for inspiration and methods.

Mike

Page: of 64 Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000