Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 96 ]  [ Total: 100 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...
Page: of 58

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/15/2016 :  8:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, just give those bolts a hair cut'..Nice bench work BTW'..

Ted

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/16/2016 :  1:24:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Bench work looks great!
I'm looking forward to the build of the E.D. Clapp structures. Very interesting design and should be fun to build.
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/16/2016 :  2:11:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kyle, that's my power bus for DCC.

Dave H., yes I have one healing now from drywall screw that poked through on old benchwork. Trying to not do that. Shorter screws these days.

Bob, yes, good advice. Bears repeating.

Ted, thank you. Buzz cut? Flat top?

Dave, the wagon works is stalled for now but I will return to it when I've finished a couple of other projects.

--Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 09/16/2016 2:13:33 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/09/2016 :  6:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Been weeks since I showed any progress. Yesterday I bought a sheet of homasote for the rebuilt part of my layout. My car shop is sort of on hold for now, but meanwhile I've started up on the general store again. With a reasonable push I should be able to wrap this up before too long.

I have been building little sections such as the external stairs, a side porch with roof, and the front porch.

Last night I added bracing for the roof. Since the bracing will be hidden, I like to use a lot to provide good attachment areas for the roof so that it does not pop up or warp when I glue on the roofing material.

I've had a lot of work travel and a little recreational travel but that is nearing an end and I hope to get more done in the weeks ahead.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  08:47:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike.

Nice looking building. Some good heavy bracing you have in that building. I'll have to remember that when I get around to do buildings.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  09:08:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Nice looking building. Some good heavy bracing you have in that building. I'll have to remember that when I get around to do buildings.

Bernd,

Thank you. Since you will no doubt be using brass I expect you will need less bracing.

Mike

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  2:38:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael, Looks good! General stores are neat kinds of structures. I have one on my layout and unfortunately only room for one, otherwise there'd be several :)
Will yours have an interior?

Edited by - Bill Gill on 10/10/2016 2:38:39 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  6:07:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,

Thank you.

I find general stores interesting too. One of my first scratchbuilt structures back when I was around 10 yo was one of the false-front variety. It was based, I believe, on an article in Model Railroader. That was when I was interested in western scenes, although there were certainly lots of false-front buildings in the east.

I'm thinking of doing an interior. It might have to wait while I get some other models completed and my layout rebuilding further along. It would not be the first time I've gone back and upgraded a model. I'm going to do the foundation in such a way that I could add an interior later.

Mike

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  8:27:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Bernd,

Thank you. Since you will no doubt be using brass I expect you will need less bracing.

Mike

Got a good laugh out of the "using brass". (I need a emodicon rolling and laughing on the floor) Although Mike's right it would need less bracing. I guess I'm going have to build something in wood. I've got a kit coming. I'll be posting on that when I start on it.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  10:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

I'm looking forward to watching.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 10/11/2016 10:58:13 PM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  11:18:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to see a little progress Mike'. Let's get er done' Looks like a great store in the works with a hurricane proof roof installed'..

Okay Bernd, this will be your second wood project coming up that I'm aware of. So, I'll be lurking there `Partner'..

Ted

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  11:25:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, here's another push. I like this store let's see her finished.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  11:49:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alright already!!

I worked on a handrail for the outside stairs over lunch today. One half of the roof is glued on and I started shingling. I have an out of town trip and will take it with me to work on. Better than the tv.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/16/2016 :  7:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Might not look like much has happened, but I am moving forward on my general store. Lots of travel and busy evenings the past week, but I made some incremental progress.

The subroof is on, scribed siding primed both sides. The scribes guide placement of paper strips representing cedar shingles purchased from Bar Mills. Old photos show very even rows of shingles so I did not glue the strips down with the uneven edges revealed as intended by the maker (I assume).

I have made parts for the foundation, painted the two chimneys, built a handrail for the stairs from styrene, and primed some details.

The chimneys are not glued down yet and the building is just sitting on the stone foundation.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 10/16/2016 7:49:58 PM

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/16/2016 :  9:51:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael,

Nice job on your current project.

Also, I like your benchwork. Why does it appear so narrow? One would think it to be somewhat wider, if you were to plant larger structures and still have room for track. I shouldn't talk, I don't have a layout yet, and I've got to do drywall on my walls before I can begin.
Nice overall.
Rich

Page: of 58 Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: Promised Update...  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000