Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 126 ]  [ Total: 131 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy Topic Next Topic: forced perception question
Page: of 64

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/18/2016 :  8:59:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guff

Mike,
Wow, you have a lot of work ahead of you with the new train room layout.
Beautiful job on the machine shop...a great looking build!
Dave

Hi Dave!

Yes, a lot of work, but a nice change from spending time exclusively building structures and rolling stock. Thank you for the encouraging words on the machine shop. I'm working on it during lunches so it will eventually get done.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2016 :  9:31:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A couple of trips to the lumberyard, some fun with my sliding miter saw, and I have started the new benchwork.

I was hoping to get more accomplished, but I am meanwhile rejuvenating the oil finish in our living room floor while my wife is in Portland, OR. She's busy painting walls, cleaning and finishing floors, and generally helping our son get ready to move into his new old house. I had to move the TV, etc etc out of the way and try as I might, I had to unplug and disconnect, then connect everything up again. Testing it out, I popped Dont Look Back in the dvd player, and it was all over.

Still, best to go at these things slow and carefully.

I have parts for the next section cut out. Update in a week.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/21/2016 :  01:52:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's a start A fine start. I can't do anything after work usually. But I do work swing.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/25/2016 :  9:30:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Significant progress on benchwork. Here's the new benchwork from left to right:

Each section is built as a box of sorts, with ends recessed 3/8". When put together end to end, adjacent boxes form a slot in which I put leg assemblies. Most of the legs are screwed to one of the adjacent boxes, but otherwise what you see in the photos are the three new sections put in position but not secured to each other. Adjacent boxes will be joined by carriage bolts.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2016 :  12:40:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking bench work Mike. I guess you don't have to worry about earthquakes in your part of the world. There is something wonderful about new bench work. It's like a blank canvass, the opportunities are endless and the possibilities are exciting.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2016 :  04:27:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice benchwork Mike. I see you use carpentry quality as I did. I agree with Bob. Its a certain feel to look at benchwork with all the possibilities.

Håkan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2016 :  07:11:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob and Håkan,

Thank you. Yes, I like the look of new benchwork also, although it's a prompt to convert potential modeling into kinetic modeling. Earthquakes are rarely a problem but we did feel the Virginia earthquake five years ago. Once everything is bolted together it is really quite sturdy. Because I do not add a fascia I use a good grade of lumber to look neat.

Mike

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2016 :  07:29:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice benchwork, Mike. It goes well with the room and the wood fascia will give it a good look there. Happy building!

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2016 :  09:09:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice carpentry. Neat and clean.

I'm a recovering L-girder guy so even when I did open grid I still put the roadbed on risers a couple inches above the grid. Eventually I went to about 8" above the grid, that allowed me to have all the controls and car card boxes recessed into the fascia without boring through the grid itself. With your sloping ceiling I can see where that strategy might not work.

Dave H.

Iron men and wooden cars

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2016 :  10:06:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill and Dave, thank you. When I first started using this style of benchwork I wanted it to look neat and clean, sort of like a piece of furniture. The center of the room is clear of railroad, available for other uses. Our son used to use it to practice with his rock band.

I used L girder for my layout twenty years ago, but I found it very awkward for wiring because I had to reach up so far over my head. Also, as you pointed out, Dave, the low ceiling precludes much relief. That's ok with me because I do not plan to have any grades.

Mike

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2016 :  10:34:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Significant progress on benchwork.

Mike

Mike, interesting way to get around the window.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2016 :  10:58:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank,

Thank you. Current plans include a removable section of urban scenery (street, businesses and houses) between the benchwork in the photos and the window and adjacent wall. I want to be able to access the window if necessary.

Mike

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2016 :  12:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike,

First, I see this thread is over a year old. Second, I wonder why it took until today for me to find it. Third,GREAT craftsmanship on all projects! I will subscribe now, for ideas and inspiration. Thanks.

Kyle

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2016 :  12:52:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I rarely have grades either. I don't do the raised roadbed for grades, but for scenery. In most places there is about as much scenery below track level as above. It also makes it really easy to wire since I can reach in from the front and don't have to come up from the bottom. I can sit on a little footstool and reach in between the grid/joists and below the roadbed. Of course the scenery thing pretty much only applies "out in the country", in urban areas and yards there will pretty much be a flat table top in any case so its not that much advantage from a scenery standpoint.

I also use pushrods for turnout control so having a gap above the grid/joists allowed the pushrods to be routed above the grid frame (without drilling holes in the grid frame.) But that is only an advantage if when pushrods are used.

Dave H.

Iron men and wooden cars

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/27/2016 :  08:56:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by engineerkyle

Hi Mike,

First, I see this thread is over a year old. Second, I wonder why it took until today for me to find it. Third,GREAT craftsmanship on all projects! I will subscribe now, for ideas and inspiration. Thanks.

Kyle

Kyle,

Thank you for your interest and kind words. I hope I can get enough done in a reasonable time to hold your interest. As you might have noticed I move around from project to project and each one seems to move at glacial speed!

Mike

Page: of 64 Previous Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy Topic Next Topic: forced perception question  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000