Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 120 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: RyanAK ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Page: of 64

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2016 :  2:13:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Thanks, but I believe it was originally a wood frame structure with clapboard.
Rich

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/01/2016 :  3:01:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Mike,
Thanks, but I believe it was originally a wood frame structure with clapboard.
Rich

Rich,

Here's the one that turns up when I search the web:

http://www.bradfordlandmark.org/index.php?Crook%20Farm%20School%20Program

In any case, these small schoolhouses are such a stereotypical structure, but they show up all over the U.S.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2016 :  7:53:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Finished my schoolhouse. Since my last post on this project I added some details and did the roof. The material supplied represents slate in two different patterns.

So that the roof would not look too uniform, I applied a dark gray Bragdon powder to random slates before the strips were cut apart. Of course it's hard to be completely random, so as I cut strips apart I jumbled them up. I thought the results were worth the effort.

Not sure where it will go on the layout but that can wait because I have some major changes to make to my trackplan.
Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2016 :  8:07:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slates look excellent, as does the rest of the structure. It'll keep your children off the streets and away from the rail yards.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2016 :  8:19:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Thank you. Got to keep those kids in line.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2016 :  01:08:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The school house came out so nicely. I love the roof tilling.

It's only make-believe

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2016 :  07:42:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, Looks like this school is slated for good things to come when you change your trackplan. Nice roofing.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2016 :  08:33:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, thank you. The roof really topped things off.

Bill, our hobby is always a learning experience. Thank you.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  11:04:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A new scratchbuild project is on the workbench, a general store:

Not much to talk about at this point; standard construction techniques and materials.

Mike

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/17/2016 :  08:43:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How did you build the storefront window portion?

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/17/2016 :  10:29:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good looking store. It's nice to see one that doesn't have a false front.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/17/2016 :  5:31:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James, In answer to your question, the storefront is assembled from four sets of double windows and a door with large transom window.

The narrow windows either side of the door were created by cutting down two of the larger ones. I used bits of Evergreen styrene to fill the space below the windows. I rummaged through my parts boxes to find castings that would work together to get me what I wanted. I think they are Grandt Line castings.

Bob, thank you. Yes, no false front. To draw my plans I used a photo of a store in upstate NY and plans by Lester Jordan in an old RMC of a similar structure in PA. Fairly typical structure found all across the northeastern states, and perhaps the rest of the nation.

Mike

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/17/2016 :  8:18:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, great job on the school slate roof. The mixed roofing pattern is nice!
Dave

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/17/2016 :  8:20:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I was a few months late in commenting. I'll try to keep up with the general store.
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/17/2016 :  8:40:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Thank you. The slate was a little tedious but seemed more and more worth the effort the more I did.

I'll try to provide something worth following in the weeks ahead.

Mike

Page: of 64 Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.51 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000