Railroad Line Forums - Toadsuck Cannery...Anyone??
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 94 ]  [ Total: 94 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Toadsuck Cannery...Anyone??
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Monday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Sunday Lounge is Open  

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/18/2014 :  1:21:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Other than Tony Burgess, has anyone completed Jaks, SSLtd, or Arkansas Hobby: Toadsuck Cannery? SSLtd has the kit on their website; but I doubt if it has changed from the Arkansas kit. I've heard that it's more like a scratch build than I kit, due to the poor (non-existent) instructions. It is a cool looking kit; but I afraid that a lot of people have started it; but very few have completed it. Any comments??
John

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2014 :  3:26:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Like some others I have the Arkansas kit. Most of the resin pieces were useless and thrown in the garbage. To build this kit again I would scratch build all of it. The only good use of the kit's resin parts was to use as templates. Mine is currently 90% complete. I would have saved a lot of time and frustration by scratch building. Once complete it's a fabulous looking structure.

Bob Farquhar

jbelwood
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/18/2014 :  5:17:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I purchased an original issue from Arkansas Valley Models back when it was first introduced. All of the many resin parts were in good order. Had very few issues with the build. I guess the manufacturing process has changed over the years with the different companies involved.

John Elwood

dgjj
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/18/2014 :  5:30:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit dgjj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi John
I bought the Arkansas model cheap on ebay a few years ago and actually built it. The instructions are terrible and I probably placed a few of the resin foundation parts in the wrong place but it seemed to work out ok.
The detail comes out quite nicely although I probably didn't do as good a job as I could have as I sought of talked myself in to thinking badly about the kit.
I think it is probably a better kit than people say it is and the negativity can prevent you from building it to its full potential.
It is a craftsman style of kit after all and a bit of work is needed to do it justice.
Just my 2 cents worth.
I have included a couple of pictures below.

cheers
Dave

again the misnamed
http://modelrailroadscratchbuilder.wordpress.com/

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2014 :  5:16:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John,
I have to agree with Dave, the kit is doable, but may take a bit of work. I decided to scratch build it partly because I love scratch building, and I don't like working with resin. For what you get, the kit, now, is quite expensive, and I have to admit, I paid a pretty price for it when I first got it.
Still, you ought to do just jump in there and do it.

By the way Dave, great job on your model, it does look very good indeed. I love the old look you gave it.

Tony Burgess

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

hairball
New Hire

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  7:26:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also have to say two thumbs up on the quality build of this kit. This is one of the early resin kits and a lot of people bad mouthed them because some walls were warped. In the print advertisements it sure looked good. I would think anybody running into one today after seeing what you have accomplished would jump on it.

I would prefer that the stone parts be of higher quality, hydrocal.

mike........HAIRBALL

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  8:47:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave & John two nice builds both different but great work.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/11/2019 :  10:32:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,

I had one of the kits produced by SSLTD. The kit itself looked great, but I didn't keep it and sold it instead. The only thing I didn't like about it was the poor quality of the hydrocal walls. I felt that they were out of scale, (individual stones), for HO scale. I think rather than building one of the kits, it would be better to scratchbuild a model of it instead. One thing I would do is to rearrange the buildings, to give the diorama some versitality. I am still thinking of building it someday, but like some other kits I have, that is on the back burner for now.

Just my 2 cents.

Rich

Previous Topic: Monday morning lounge Topic Next Topic: Sunday Lounge is Open  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000