Railroad Line Forums - Bachmann Porter Dead Rail Conversion
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 120 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: Ben de Vink ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Bachmann Porter Dead Rail Conversion
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Peco Track Topic Next Topic: Jefferson State Black Sheep
Page: of 5

shadow50
Section Hand

Posted - 12/14/2018 :  3:56:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Super late update.

Wow! It has been quite some time since I started this thread, and apologies to all, I sort of fizzled out on the project.

I haven't completely abandoned the task.

I'm on to Dead Rail Porter 3.0 now, version 1.0 had issues as the cab base from the older version Porter was plastic and started to get a bit weak from the modifications I put it through.

shadow50
Section Hand

Posted - 12/14/2018 :  4:01:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Version 2.0 started out fairly well, I ordered a replacement cab base from Bachmann. Surprisingly it arrived as a metal base and fit perfectly!
I guess the new DCC Porters were really reworked a bit.

I wound up building my own battery pack. 3s lipo, the pre-made one was simply too big for the cab.

All was well until I went to my friend Kewlbrew's layout and gave it a trial on his new layout project.

Unfortunately I had left the battery switch in the "on" position and drained the pack dead. Well that killed the pack.

shadow50
Section Hand

Posted - 12/14/2018 :  4:08:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also learned from some practice runs that the Airwire T-5000 control linked up to the Tam Valley receiver does have a small issue that I haven't seemed to over come.

It uses a DCC chip to work in conjunction with the Tam receiver, the only thing is, if you are trying to run 2 loco's and venture to switch the address to your other loco #2, you wind up with loco #1 becoming a high speed runaway! Not what we want!

This issue seems only to be the case with the Tam Valley receiver as it uses only the 916hz frequency. If you use the Airwire units you should be able to choose any loco address you want.

So I will use The Airwire control primarily with a Porter that is a bit bigger, one I have for my Garden Railroad.

Edited by - shadow50 on 12/14/2018 4:22:05 PM

shadow50
Section Hand

Posted - 12/14/2018 :  4:17:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Version 3 of this tiny Porter project is now under way.

Surfing the net one day I came across a site: http://rctrains.co.uk/, while looking up radio control for a couple of live steamers I own. The control this bloke offers peaked my interest.

It is a Del Tang control that will take care of up to 12 loco's and they can all run at once if you are that adventurous.

Needless to say, as if i didn't have enough projects, I decided to give this a whirl.

My following posts will show the new project and we will see if going RC will prove to be more to my liking.

shadow50
Section Hand

Posted - 12/14/2018 :  4:24:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the Transmitter I will use.

I chose this over the Del Tang, as the Del Tang direct unit is a kit only and it has the look of being just that. (not that it matters) I simply liked the finished product that was available.

If you are interested, On30guy also offers the Del tang throttle. Preassembled but I'm not sure about the 12 loco version.

Edited by - shadow50 on 12/14/2018 5:21:33 PM

shadow50
Section Hand

Posted - 12/14/2018 :  7:04:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Del Tang's Transmitter is like this:

You find the same at On30 guy's site too.

Edited by - shadow50 on 12/14/2018 7:42:40 PM

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  09:32:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great info!

Philip

shadow50
Section Hand

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  3:23:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a picture of the new receiver from Del tang. It is about the same size a the Digitracks Dcc ezz123 receiver alone!

Edited by - shadow50 on 01/29/2019 4:02:37 PM

shadow50
Section Hand

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  3:50:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shadow50

Here is a picture of the new receiever from Del tang. It is about the same size a the Digitracks Dcc receiver alone!

shadow50
Section Hand

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  4:22:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

No longer will I be using the Tam Valley receiver.

There will be more available space, fewer electrical connections and hopefully less glitches.

To the upper left is one of the batteries I will be using. I will join a pair in series in order to up the voltage from 3.7 to 7.4 volts.

Note:
On the Del Tang Website they list the voltage range for this receiver as 3-13 volts and the motor current voltage as up to 8.4 at 0.5 amp.
I'm not positive as to what this truly means.

Though I would like to run 3 cells at 11.1 volts, I'm not sure it would help if the output voltage is still going to be 8 volts and certainly I wouldn't want to fry my little receiver.

Edited by - shadow50 on 12/18/2018 4:26:25 PM

shadow50
Section Hand

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  4:24:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way......

I started this thread back before there was a Dead Rail section in the forum. Perhaps i will be rerouted there.

shadow50
Section Hand

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  4:32:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pictured here are the two batteries.

I ordered a number of them from ebay. They came with protection circuitry, but upon a few trials I learned that the circuits would have to be removed to make the batteries work the way I intend.

Edited by - shadow50 on 12/18/2018 4:54:18 PM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2018 :  7:23:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Note:
On the Del Tang Website they list the voltage range for this receiver as 3-13 volts and the motor current voltage as up to 8.4 at 0.5 amp.

Though I would like to run 3 cells at 11.1 volts, I'm not sure it would help if the output voltage is still going to be 8 volts and certainly I wouldn't want to fry my little receiver.

Which receiver are you using?

Removing the circuit board that comes with the batteries is not a good idea. There is a possibility of over charging or draining the battery beyond the rated low voltage. This can cause the battery to fail.

The other thing to do is use a voltage booster. Check out what DanT has been posting in the Dead Rail section.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

shadow50
Section Hand

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  2:26:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, I am using the Del Tang Rx63 receiver. I wanted to keep things as tight as possible in the little Porter cab. It is quite possible I could have used the Rx 60.

So far in my trial runs the 63 seems to work fine.

Once I get the forward light sorted out I will prepare a video to share with the group.

Regarding the charge protection circuit, I understand how temperamental Lipos can be.

Quite often the Rc guys put together packs without circuit protection boards. They use balance wiring to keep the batteries equal in their charge.
I will incorporate this system for my 2s lipo packs.

Edited by - shadow50 on 12/19/2018 2:41:10 PM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  3:15:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Note:

I looked at his chart. Is kind of confusing. Is he saying that at full throttle with a voltage of 8.4 volts the circuit draws only .5 amps? Doesn't make sense.

Would love see your video when done. You aren't located in the US are you?

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Peco Track Topic Next Topic: Jefferson State Black Sheep  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000