Railroad Line Forums - Bachmann Porter Dead Rail Conversion
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 52 ]  [ Total: 57 ]  [ Newest Member: Marty J ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Bachmann Porter Dead Rail Conversion
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 4-4-0 Kitbash? Topic Next Topic: Steel rail
Page: of 5

shadow50
Section Hand

Posted - 06/07/2014 :  01:18:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found the old plastic cab, the DRS1 receiver fits in perfectly as shown by the photo.

(sorry you aren't suppose to see that I'm further along yet.
More info on the decoder piggyback on the receiver later)

Unfortunately the battery pack I have chosen fits a bit long in the plastic cab. Perhaps if the electrical pickup gear for the cab light is removed it may fit. (picture 2)
Hobby King Turnigy nano-tech 35mm long x 20 mm wide x 15 mm high, $6.25 180 mAh.

There are two negatives some of you may not like:.
First with the plastic cab you will need to remove the dome light. (The battery needs to go as high as possible to fit in the cab area)
Second you have to remove the dome in the cab. (see 3rd picture)

Sorry the old installation of the decoder looks a bit sloppy. It tucked in quite well. The loco ran well!

Edited by - shadow50 on 06/10/2014 12:52:18 AM

shadow50
Section Hand

Posted - 06/07/2014 :  01:34:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My next step was to marry the decoder to the receiver. I chose to use some micro connectors. Perhaps hard wire with solder connections would be more reliable but I chose this route in case i had any issues in the future.

Double sided foam tape is securing the decoder to the receiver. All wire connections are removable. Just in case.
(has anyone noticed that after 50 it is quite a bit harder to focus on small parts?)

shadow50
Section Hand

Posted - 06/07/2014 :  01:48:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the project with most of the terminals connected, power is on and the motor spinning!

The last stray connector is for the forward light and if so desired the rear facing light.

The small black gizmo is a switch it is double pole double throw.
I chose this because I decided that the off position could place the Loco in track power mode.
It may prove to be a problem in the future, I'm not sure if it will stay in place. it requires a bit of effort to switch and it is quite possible that it would weaken any glue holding it in place.

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/07/2014 :  02:42:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very interesting...thanks for posting, will be watching your progress.

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/07/2014 :  10:49:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great progress and information.

Tom M.

peterg13
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/09/2014 :  06:21:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit peterg13's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is great, thanks. Cheers.
Peter G

shadow50
Section Hand

Posted - 06/09/2014 :  7:40:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have now taken the shoe horn out and commenced to placing all of the gear into the cab.

Progress has been as expected, however as I started to fit the pieces into the cab I became concerned with my ability to charge the battery. It is going to be too difficult to simply reach in and connect/disconnect the battery.

(Arthur from CieloVistaRlwy's battery concealment comment prompted a bit of concern to me. Because of fat finger issues I opted to include charging jacks that will be accessible at the bottom of the Loco.)

In the upper left I have placed a plug to charge the battery. I will make a small hole on the loco for the plug to go through.
That will solve the charge issue.

The white plug will be a bit of a bother but it is next on the list, it is the balance connector for the battery. Lipo batteries are rather temperamental and it is important to keep all of the cells charged to the same level.

The stray wires are the leads providing power from the wheels when the switch is placed in the track/off position.

To the left the two pin connector is for the motor and the three pin connector is for the lights.

Edited by - shadow50 on 06/11/2014 1:18:18 PM

shadow50
Section Hand

Posted - 06/09/2014 :  7:47:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I chose hot glue for the battery and on/off switch installation.
( Didn't want CA into the switch mechanism!) The red connector is in place with CA. All items seem secure enough.

I also provide you with my window blackout treatment so far.

Eventually I will search the internet for a nice picture that can be pasted in place of the black. Perhaps something good for the rear entrance too.

johnhu
New Hire

Posted - 06/09/2014 :  10:25:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice write up and pics.

Rather than using a 2 cell battery (often requiring balance charging), you could use multiple 1 cell batteries in parallel (for capacity) with a step up converter of the appropriate voltage to get the current you require. (eg: http://www.pololu.com/product/2117)

If you don't have any requirement for DCC, you can also use RC equipment from a company called Deltang (www.deltang.co.uk)
It is also available in the US from Geren (http://on30guy.gerenm.net/) I believe.

Worth some investigation for those wanting to try out BPRC in their loco's as the receivers are very small.

[Usual disclaimer about no affiliation, just a satisfied user, etc]

John

Edited by - johnhu on 06/09/2014 10:28:33 PM

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/10/2014 :  11:02:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

More info here if you are interested:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42081&whichpage=1

Tom M.

shadow50
Section Hand

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  11:52:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just an update,

Project procession is slightly on hold as I wait for connectors for the balance plug. Ebay is on the way!

More to come

Mark

shadow50
Section Hand

Posted - 06/17/2014 :  4:28:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good News !

I just received the connectors from Ebay.

I will see if time can be found this evening for the next step in the Battery project.

Mark

shadow50
Section Hand

Posted - 06/21/2014 :  12:23:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was able to spend a bit of time on the Porter last night.

I made a short connector cable for the lipo balancing jack and have installed it.

The cab has been replaced the thing works!

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/21/2014 :  12:31:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Some pictures and info on the battery pack and balance plug would be informative.

Tom M.

shadow50
Section Hand

Posted - 06/27/2014 :  11:20:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally I have found some time to post a few pictures!

The following shows the bottom of my Porter with the area for the battery connectors.

Sorry my hole cutting skills weren't the best this time.

Also included is a picture of the back of the cab. I will have to figure out how to hide the electronics and make it look like we have some life going on in there.

Time to get creative!
I will work on a video of the little critter running.

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: 4-4-0 Kitbash? Topic Next Topic: Steel rail  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000