Railroad Line Forums - 2'x3' Cork Board Challenge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 2'x3' Cork Board Challenge
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: O-Scale Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: The Town
Page: of 23

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  7:07:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by acousticco

Looking good Larry. I've got my board ready and a trackplan in mind but haven't yet started to put anything together. This week I hope!

-Cody

OK Cody want to share any thoughts?

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  7:35:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, you're off to a fast start.

I finally found a little time to start designing something.
Earlier I had posted that I bought a cork board.
I then found a sheet on plywood leftover from the bathroom remodel that would work, so I took the cork board back.
Now I need to get some 1 inch blue or pink foam.
I think I've settled on a mining theme.
About 1/3 of the layout will be a mountain with a mine entrance and a tunnel to allow for continuous running.
Besides the foam I also need two switches, switch stands and a coal conveyer like in the picture below.

I know Larry built switches, but I don't have the tools or jigs to do that.
Any help in pointing me in the right direction to getting those items would be greatly appreciated.

As you think, so will you be.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  10:04:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick,
You should be able to scratch the coal loader no problem, I can send some wheels.
I sent you a PM re switches.

My current build:

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 05/21/2014 :  01:48:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

quote:
Originally posted by acousticco

Looking good Larry. I've got my board ready and a trackplan in mind but haven't yet started to put anything together. This week I hope!

-Cody

OK Cody want to share any thoughts?

I'm having trouble deciding between On30 and On20, I have some HO gauge track that could be used (with the usual modifications) but have been toying with handlaying again... Some duel gauge has crossed my mind as well. I have a handful of KB Scale Hudson tippers that could be gauged to On20 in a second and an MDC shay that looks like it needs to be bashed into something new...

The board I'm going to use is a 'panel' bought at an art supply store (and was meant to be painted on) and was already once an HOn30 layout which was scrapped in favour of a shelf line (I'll introduce that project someday). The track plan will be a kidney shaped oval with one spur probably. And like I said, some dystopian / post apocalyptic themes will come into play...

An update soon, hopefully with some pix that won't bore you guys to death...

-Cody

hokie_tech
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/21/2014 :  11:49:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK guys I've decided to join in. I'm going a with 35n2 tunnel railroad. I ordered a lot of scratch building supplies yesterday. Basically it will be a clearing house point to include the following.

1. Battery or overhead powered loco. Will probably use mechanism from Bachmann On30 street car. Haven't decided for sure. I think a rigid overhead using styrene channel would look kind of cool, but it would also get in the way too.
2. Small 14' cars (about 5 actual inches) with two trucks, because that is what the actual Chicago tunnel railway used.
  • Hoppers for coal deliveries and removal of construction debris
  • Mail cars
  • Worker/passenger cars
  • flats
  • cable cars

3. Coal tipple. Coal loaded top side at street level. Tipple bottom visible on layout.
4. Elevator for cars to be delivered from top side. This will basically be a small one or two car cassette, that I can slide cars into and out of.
5. Lots of pipe and cable runs on ceiling and walls.
6. Signs of dripping water.
7. Pump facility to remove the dripping water cars.
8. Lots of 1/35 scale figures. Ordered these yesterday to get started. I went with this scale, because I like to paint figures.
9. Maintenance area.
10. Tunnels to staging

I have no track plan yet but I'm already working on the cars. If anyone has some suggestions, I'm all. I would love a track plan, but I don't have the software for it. I'll figure one out later . It will have to be creative with a spot for the elevator cassette and staging for the tunnels. I'm thinking a horse shoe type arrangement with one leg to staging and the other leg the feed into the facility.
I plan on hand laying the track so I can use some single point switches (already made one) and it works .

That's it for now. Hope to have my first car done soon and I'll post a picture.

Bill

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/21/2014 :  11:52:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,
Welcome to the build. The tunnel railroad has always been of interest to me.

My current build:

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/21/2014 :  12:29:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"You should be able to scratch the coal loader no problem"
Larry, you're probably right, but my modeling time is scarce and finding a kit would be faster and easier.
I sent you a reply to your PM.

As you think, so will you be.

Geezer
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/21/2014 :  3:22:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great start brudda....
Larry is right, Tom.....just an old bar fly acquaintance.... ;-)

"You can find my Website & Threads here:"
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47229

Geezer
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/21/2014 :  3:23:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I'll sit this one out.....
too much on my plate already......
but, I will be lurking.....;-)

"You can find my Website & Threads here:"
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47229

hokie_tech
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/22/2014 :  9:29:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have completed a baggage/flat car for the yet to be named 35n2 tunnel railroad.

This is the version with Bachmann On30 trucks.

This is the version with a crappy HO truck. Its the only one I have. I never done HO. Its not really a fair comparison, but what can you do .

Here is the link to the original car http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ChicagoTunnelFieldsTrain.jpg

The scale post is there for reference. I would like your opinions. The On30 truck would be approximately 17+ inches in 1/35 scale. This seems a little high in my opinion, but it looks pretty nice. The HO truck scales out to 13+ inches, which seems pretty reasonable to me. I'm leaning towards the Kadee HO arch bar truck. What do you think, before I order a couple of dozen trucks and waste my money?

Bill

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/22/2014 :  11:10:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,
Have you looked at the trucks from boulder valley models? They are smaller than the Bachmann trucks and the wheels are a size between the two you are working with.

My current build:

Mostro
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/22/2014 :  11:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't want to clutter this thread but it catalyzed me to try and get a working layout up and running this Summer. I have a few new layout ideas here: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=41510&whichpage=2

They're larger than the 2x3 cork board setup but in the same vein and I'd love to hear from people who enjoy this smaller format. Larry thanks for the inspiration.

Derick

"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." - Dave Barry

hokie_tech
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/23/2014 :  12:56:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,
That was what I needed. I just ordered 5 pairs of 18" trucks from Dallas.

Should we post our progress here or would it be better to start a new thread or both?

Bill

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/23/2014 :  2:48:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,
Where you post is up to you. I would at least like to see some progress posted in this thread for each build.

My current build:

dave ottney
New Hire

Posted - 05/24/2014 :  10:07:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just come across this challenge/thread. I'm going to knock some ideas around in my head to see if I can come up,with a theme that will grab me.
BTW if someone needs Peco or Graham Farish N scale 4 wheel wagons check out this site-
Djunction.com
They have tons at very reasonable prices.
Off to find some inspiration.
Dave

Edited by - dave ottney on 05/24/2014 10:23:39 PM

Page: of 23 Previous Topic: O-Scale Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: The Town  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000