Railroad Line Forums - 2'x3' Cork Board Challenge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 154 ]  [ Total: 163 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 2'x3' Cork Board Challenge
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: O-Scale Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: The Town
Page: of 23

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 01/25/2015 :  6:15:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Larry & Heath, great work on the switches and dumping ore car, there's some very cool work going on here.

I have done very little with my layout, but I have figured out a path forward for the upper level. Stay tuned!

-Cody

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 01/25/2015 :  6:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And to show that I am still working on this project, a little open sided four wheel box car I've been building:

It's all wood with a pair of sideframes from an English OO9 kit set wider for HO scale wheelsets. This will be part crew car, part toolcar, junk pile, whatever. It's going to be messy!

-Cody

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2015 :  7:58:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy to see you still at it Cody.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

thtroll
Crew Chief

Supporting Member

Posted - 01/26/2015 :  2:10:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit thtroll's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cody, that's a great looking car.

Larry, sorry for the distraction, but its fun, isn't it. Here is a sketch of the dump mech for the car.

So the idea is the car is pushed onto the tipper and a tab on the door holds it in place. The door opens as the tipper rotates. Got the idea of the tipper from Glen Anthony's fantastic layout The Stamping Ground, and thought it could be adapted for an end dump car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFGktQUNBQM
You can see the tipper in action near the end of the vid.

Cheers, Heath.

thtroll
Crew Chief

Supporting Member

Posted - 01/29/2015 :  7:47:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit thtroll's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not much progress on the layout. Picked up the Minitrains cement cars today. Couple of quick pics showing the dimensions and how it may look on the Grandt Line end dump ore car.

As you can see the wheels are a little sloppy in the journals, but it doesn't seem to affect performance. I think they look pretty good.
Has anyone used these cars for On18

Cheers, Heath.

thtroll
Crew Chief

Supporting Member

Posted - 01/29/2015 :  11:08:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit thtroll's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A bit more work on the ore cart.

The dimensions are 6' long (including both 6" buffers), 3'6" wide and 2'6". On its own I am happy with the result, but the mine loco is 4'6" wide and in comparison the ore cart looks too small. I will get some pics with the loco and post.
Thanks for checking in,

Cheers, Heath.

thtroll
Crew Chief

Supporting Member

Posted - 01/30/2015 :  2:03:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit thtroll's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's the cart with the loco.

Thinking of making the cart 7' long including buffers 4' wide, and 2' tall, but these dimensions are a guess. Time to break out the graph paper again.
Thanks for looking, and your thoughts are welcomed.

Cheers, Heath.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2015 :  6:46:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure I would worry the car is smaller. I think a lot of the cars in the mine were hand pushed some of the time so the were smaller.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2015 :  11:54:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the size of the car compared to the locomotive as well, I wouldn't worry about it much myself. I'm looking forward to seeing the contraption that dumps these guys.

-Cody

thtroll
Crew Chief

Supporting Member

Posted - 02/01/2015 :  12:32:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit thtroll's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, I scaled back the size a bit. Only increased the size by 6" scale. This car is 4' wide, 3' tall and 6' long plus buffers equals 7' total.

The base is 80 thou styrene sheet and the boards are 40x250 and the bottom board on the end is 40x188. The wood grain was scribed with an x acto knife and the knots are penciled in. I think I will use a sharpie for the knots prior to painting, and hopefully they will show through the paint a bit. I have both some 10 thou sheet brass for strapping and phosphor bronze for the hinge. With the car size sorted and the first one nearly complete, I will be stating on the dump mechanism.

Cheers, Heath.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2015 :  07:30:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cody and Heath, you're doing some nice work building cars.
Thanks for sharing.

As you think, so will you be.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2015 :  12:17:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like someone is going mining!

Mike

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 02/01/2015 :  3:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not in this challenge, but looking at all the
neat ideas....Cody & Heath , you are batting 1000!
Keep it up!

thtroll
Crew Chief

Supporting Member

Posted - 02/01/2015 :  9:50:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit thtroll's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I was able to start on the tipper this pm. The a-frame was made from 1/8 brass angle and is 4'6" at the base and 4'3" tall. The tipper is a total of 6' wide, 5' between the frames. The code 83 rail was notched and curve up to create the wheel stop, like the tipper on The Stamping Ground.

Figuring out where to solder the rail so the car is centered. The other bent rail can be seen on upper right.

Completed frame. I added a piece of angle to help support the wheel stop.

Here the car is tipped to 45 degrees to see how well the wheel stop works.

Next the support frame has to be built. and build the door for the car. Thanks for checking in.

Cheers, Heath.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/01/2015 :  10:08:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah ha, another brass project. Nice work Heath. It'll be interesting to see when complete.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Page: of 23 Previous Topic: O-Scale Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: The Town  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000