Railroad Line Forums - 2'x3' Cork Board Challenge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 2'x3' Cork Board Challenge
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: O-Scale Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: The Town
Page: of 23

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/09/2014 :  9:26:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I don't why the photo's on the post came out so small as I'm sure they were 125kb, or close to it."

125 kb is the file size of the picture and not the dimensional size.
The dimensional size is usually measured in pixels.
Most of the pictures I post are 800 pixels on the longest side.

As you think, so will you be.

djdutch
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/19/2014 :  2:25:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit djdutch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rotoreggie

DJ
There are bigger photo's of the Fordson on page 9 of this thread that I posted just after I built it, there is also a bit of info on what went into it.

I don't use Coke cans for the corrugated iron anymore, I'm now using those throw away aluminium oven trays as the thickness of the
aluminium in them is perfect to work with, I can knock out about a dozen sheets in under ten minutes with the corrugated iron maker.

I reckon the next question you will ask is what is the corrugated iron making machine, I bought it from a hobby shop here in Oz, as far
as I know it's there own product, called Brunell Hobbies. If you click on this link it should take to the right page on there web site

http://www.brunelhobbies.com.au/ironmaker/ironmaker.htm

The guards on the drive line were made from aluminium bent over a pencil and the chain gaurds are wittled from strip wood.

I don't why the photo's on the post came out so small as I'm sure they were 125kb, or close to it.

Reggie I'm so sorry I forget to watch for a reply but I'm back and subscribe myself so I can't forget it next time.
Anyway it looks good I thought it was motorised but I guess you want to do something with the electrical pickups.
last question (I think) what is the scale ?

DJ

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2014 :  12:25:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been making some progress getting ground cover and ballast down.
I just finished glueing down some of both and that explains the darker colored areas.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2014 :  12:30:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright Rick! You having fun running Trains?

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2014 :  12:32:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually I haven't been running them lately.
Been concentrating on doing the above. ^^^
Maybe before I go to work today I'll do a few laps.

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2014 :  2:35:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"Darker colors" mmmm I thought perhaps the cat.

The track ballast looks like a nice size.

Tom M.

rotoreggie
New Hire

Posted - 11/22/2014 :  6:21:16 PM  Show Profile  Send rotoreggie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
DJ
the scale is on30, O scale. it will have a motorised wagon behind it, pushing, the pickups are for a bit more juice for the wagon and
hopefully better running. the motor and sound etc will all be in the wagon, I'm thinking a bogie wagon half open half van were it can all be concealed.
I'll post it in the on30 line when I'm done.

Cheers Dave
don't put off till tomorrow what you can do the next day

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/24/2014 :  10:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

I have been trying the templates and a sample of street track. Here is the progress. This track requires patience and I may need to switch to plywood to build the layout to secure the track. It would still be 2x3. Turnouts are 10" and I have run a black beetle drive around the test track.

Hey, Larry!

Any more comments/critique about this track system? I'm seriously considering getting a couple of turnouts and maybe a couple of wyes for some tight spots on the DW&ARwy (yes ... I'm making s-l-o-w progress ... might be able to post a few pics in my thread on the On30 Forum by Thanksgiving!)

Hope all is well!

CHEERS!

"Who Knew Model Railroading Could Be This Much Fun"
CN&C - California Northern & Cascade On30 Modular Group, Founding Member
DWA - Diddy Wells & Afterthought Rwy

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/25/2014 :  07:11:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant, no progress on that layout at this time. I need to switch the base to wood and use plyobond (Spelling?) to glue the track down. The system does work but it requires patience and some good NMRA track gauges. Go slow laying the track and test constantly.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/30/2014 :  11:50:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, Larry!

I had an epiphany this morning regarding this street track that just might help us both out!

All the track on my layout is/will-be Peco code 100, and I only need this one 10" street turnout in a particularly tight spot ... the street rails are designed to be glued directly to the ground/pavement/whatever while normal rails sit up on ties ... while contemplating whether to shave down the roadbed under the Peco track or raise the roadbed under the street rails to get them to line up, it hit me! ... why not find a piece of hardboard/masonite the same thickness as the ties, cut it to the shape of the turnout as if it had ties under it, then glue the rails to the hardboard and then the hardboard to the foam (or corkboard, in your case) ...?

You may have already figured out whether or not the street rails will line up with any other "normal" rails without shimming one or the other, but it seems that that is an easier problem to deal with than worrying about how to attach it to what ever it is you/we are building on!

I'm calling Proto 87 tomorrow to order the turnout and get it on the way ... once it's here, and I figure out how to line everything up and connect it all, I can get to laying and weathering the track and ballasting the lower sections ... I need to get that out of the way so I can finish the tunnel liners and keep moving upwards!

As always ...

CHEERS!

"Who Knew Model Railroading Could Be This Much Fun"
CN&C - California Northern & Cascade On30 Modular Group, Founding Member
DWA - Diddy Wells & Afterthought Rwy

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2014 :  05:42:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good Rick!

Mike

rotoreggie
New Hire

Posted - 12/16/2014 :  3:19:02 PM  Show Profile  Send rotoreggie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So am I the only person who completed this challenge? It would be nice to see some other layouts.

Cheers Dave
don't put off till tomorrow what you can do the next day

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/17/2014 :  2:05:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, I didn't try to complete it, but have been inspired by the concept and have recently started on my first layout in over 35 years. I recently drew a 2x3 with a 9-inch radius that I intended to build until I found out about Richard Gardner's 18-foot boxcar project. I decided to build a few cars based on that design and they call for a 12-inch radius. To allow that, I ended up enlarging to 32x48 to allow a 12-inch radius but kept the track plan the same. I have machined a couple of fixtures for building turnouts and laying the curved track. There aren't any straights of significant length, so will probably just lay the straight sections with some gauges.

Richard Gardner boxcars
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34161&whichpage=1
My first photos are on page 32 with track work on 35.

Thayer

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2014 :  3:31:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, Larry's challenge was to have an operating layout by Thanksgiving.
I met that goal.
But, I still have lots of scenery and detailing to do before it's completely finished.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2014 :  4:23:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Rick. Looking good. Can't wait to see the scenery start taking shape.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 23 Previous Topic: O-Scale Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: The Town  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000