Railroad Line Forums - 2'x3' Cork Board Challenge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 2'x3' Cork Board Challenge
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: O-Scale Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: The Town
Page: of 23

rotoreggie
New Hire

Posted - 09/09/2014 :  01:18:17 AM  Show Profile  Send rotoreggie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the positive comments folks, much appreciated,probably my favourite part of the hobby creating these sort of things.

Larry it will move, the motive power will come from a spud type bogie in a following wagon. if you look at the picture you will notice the
bogie I've mounted it on has pick-ups which will be wired in to the power bogie, I used this so I hopefully won't have power supply
problems, I also have an old Athern, I think, four wheel powered chassis which I could turn into a four wheel wagon. Decisions decisions.
I'll test the Athern unit tonight and see how it runs before I spend dollars on a spud, actually I'm looking at a Bull Ant, reputedly
better than a spud and made right here in Oz, checkout Hollywood Foundaries website for more info on them.

Cheers Dave
don't put off till tomorrow what you can do the next day

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2014 :  07:07:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,
The Bull ant or black beetle drives IMHO are better drives than the spuds.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

rotoreggie
New Hire

Posted - 09/09/2014 :  5:06:08 PM  Show Profile  Send rotoreggie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
G'day All

Tested the Athern mechanism last night, not good. So it looks like I'm back to plan A and will be purchasing a Bull Ant and dummy bogie.

Cheers Dave

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2014 :  5:32:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave,

You could also consider a NWSL Stanton Drive. I haven't had a chance to try one yet but they're good runners I hear and they have a number of wheel base and driver size combinations. I intend to try them in a couple HO standard gauge powering projects one day... (Usual disclaimer: I have no connection with NWSL...).

Good luck with whatever you go with!

-Cody

rotoreggie
New Hire

Posted - 09/09/2014 :  9:09:45 PM  Show Profile  Send rotoreggie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Cody

I will be sticking with the Bull Ant as the wheel sizes and axle configurations are endless, you just select what size wheels you
want and the axle spacing on your order and he makes each drive individually to your specs, wiring can be standard or DCC ready and they
also have good slow running, I have read that this is an issue with the Stanton drive. Anyway check out the Hollywood Foundry website.

usual disclaimer I have no connection with the Hollywood Foundry

Cheers Dave

rotoreggie
New Hire

Posted - 09/10/2014 :  5:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Send rotoreggie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Can anyone tell me the best place to get link and pin couplers. I'm fitting them to the Fordson critter and the wagons it will be
pulling.
thanks in advance.

Cheers Dave

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 09/10/2014 :  5:31:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been using the Grandt Line Gilpin type link and pins on my On30 stuff, mostly because I have allot of them. PSC has a good selection of coupler pocket types for locomotives.

-Cody

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/10/2014 :  6:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also check out backwoods minatures they have a link and pin pocket for the bachmann side dumps that can be glued to a pilot beam if need be.

My current build:

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  6:27:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After some friendly pressure from the gang in the On30 Lounge I'm finally getting around to posting a picture of what I'm working on.

Obviously I haven't gotten very far.
The layout will be mining based.
The area in the foreground where there aren't any tracks yet will have a mountain.
The switch on the right will lead to the mine entrance.
The switch on the left leads to the mining supply shed.
I plan on using my Bachmann Davenport and Bachmann ore cars.
Spent this afternoon building the first of two switch throws from Fast Tracks.
After getting it together I found that I need to raise the layout more so it will fit underneath.

Unfortunately work will come to another grinding halt until my next day off next Monday.

I know the deadline is Thanksgiving, and I'm hoping you guys meant 2015.

As you think, so will you be.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  7:53:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well golly gee!! You really are working on a small layout.

Looks great so far hope to see more progress shortly!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  8:02:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Rick it is nice to see some progress on the little layout. Trust me it is relaxing seeing / listening to a little train do loops around the layout.

My current build:

Mostro
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  9:26:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Rick!

Derick

"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." - Dave Barry

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  11:22:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick!!!!
Good show buddy!!!

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/17/2014 :  09:51:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nice start Rick, really glad to see the progress.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/17/2014 :  10:12:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good Rick!

Mike

Page: of 23 Previous Topic: O-Scale Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: The Town  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000