Railroad Line Forums - 2'x3' Cork Board Challenge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 2'x3' Cork Board Challenge
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: O-Scale Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: The Town
Page: of 23

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/09/2014 :  6:57:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made a comment that if you do not have a railroad running or were looking for a change of pace you could easily get a 2’ x 3’ cork posting board on sale for around $10.00 and put some spare track down and be running in a few hours.

Why did I suggest 2’ x 3’ cork tack boards? Well this is my story and I am sticking to it:
• The cork and underlying material holds track spikes like a champ (practice hand laying track).
• You do not need any power tools to build bench work. It is small enough to store under a bed if you have no room for a layout.
• You can move it easily to the coffee table and run trains.
• The layout will fit in the trunk of a car even my 2 seat SLK.
• You can get 11” radius curves down that will allow you to run a lot of small HO or ON30 drives and cars.
• I have built a mini and a micro layout on these before and they have each lasted 5 years and are still running.

Here are the rules.
• Must use a 2’x3’ (approximate) cork board to start, keep it intact or slice it dice it any way you want.
• A train has to run on the layout when finished.
• The layout needs a purpose to exist, industry, theme park ride, etc.
• It must hold the interest of a 7 – 10 year old for a half hour of play time. Yes, this is possible; I know it to be true. The children should be able to drive it and throw a switch but tell them no touching the trains or structures. I suggest a loop with a couple of switches or cool automation.
• It must be operational by Thanksgiving 2014 (Giving the finished layout to a child, hospital or old age home for the Holidays earn extra special bonus points).
• I would like to keep the scale to HO or above to make it a real challenge. (bonus points for new gauges / scales invented)
• If you model someplace then model someplace else for the challenge. I model the Yukon that means I have to model something like Arizona, North Carolina, Cuba, Europe or something.

Sample of said board.

http://www.officesupply.com/office-supplies/boards-easels/boards/cork-fabric-bulletin-boards/sparco-wood-frame-cork-board/p21613.html?device=c&network=g&matchtype=&ref=pla&cid=ad-pla-non-brand+&gclid=CJTY7cz2n74CFWcS7Aod62AAZg

I buy mine at Hobby Lobby and use a 40% off on line coupon they put out every couple of weeks.

So let’s go, I know two ON30 guys who want in other than me.
My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

jcoop
Fireman

Posted - 05/09/2014 :  8:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am in, Have my board in hand.

Good way to practice things

Sitting along side the orignal Central Pacific Rail Road.

Home of The Great On30 Barn Meet, that will be held May 16th 2015

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 05/09/2014 :  11:00:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This topic will stay a sticky until the end of the challenge. Larry suggested N scalers could build in On18 which is a good idea so let's see what everybody can come up with!

Mike

scott robertson
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/10/2014 :  12:42:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit scott robertson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is a quick simple idea to maybe get some juices flowing.........I down loaded a picture of the 2x3 cork board and made a little sketch in Brushes that represents an On30 plan (roughly I think). Two sides of a desert hill with a water tank, speeder shed, and cabin on one side, and a mine tipple served by a horse cart road from some nearby mine. The road runs up, over and along the ridge. A rock tunnel portal, wood tunnel portal and dramatic rock arch formation. Desert scenery, saguaros, scrub vegetation, and lots of rock. Scott

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 05/10/2014 :  08:34:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice, are you going to build it Scott?

Mike

Geezer
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/10/2014 :  08:58:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe.....I have some HO stuff.....Maybe.....

"You can find my Website & Threads here:"
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47229

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/10/2014 :  09:21:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,
I'm looking forward to what you do.

Mike,
Are you in?

Scott,
Great darwing you should join in.

Geezer,
I have HO stuff I can send you

Here is a list of HO / ON30 items that I know will take these small curves. There are many more drives and I may set up a test loop to help the cause.

The following drives will make 9.5" curves.
All Bachmann ON30 Porters
ON30 Bachmann Rail truck
Bachmann HO 44 ton, 70 ton, 45 ton and Ballast spreader.
BVM, Mighty Midget, Woodchuck and all conversions for the above Bachmann HO engines
HO Bachmann/AHM?Model Power Plymouths
Grandt line 4 wheel engines

ON30 Cars tested with no issue:

Bachmann 18 foot cars
Bachmann side dumps and v dumps
Peco 4 wheel cars
Cache creek 4 wheel and two truck caars
BVM 18 foot cars
My 19 foot flat car molds
Grandt Line Koppel cars

HO cars tested no issue:
Kadee Log Disconnects

My current build:

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/10/2014 :  10:58:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a fun challenge. Hope some folks jump in.

Bryan

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/10/2014 :  11:32:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, thanks for starting this challenge.

Count me in.

As you think, so will you be.

Geezer
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/10/2014 :  1:11:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are there restrictions to track elevation?

"You can find my Website & Threads here:"
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47229

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/10/2014 :  1:49:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Geezer

Are there restrictions to track elevation?

Nope, just make sure you can get it out of the room .

BTW my rules are loose and open to review. I am trying to get a few guys running trains this year.

It would be super cool if one of the craftsmen builders built a battery powered line on the inside of a structure with full interior then built the factory walls on the outside.

My current build:

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/10/2014 :  5:18:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've got a layout, but I'll be following along on this. The size sounds like interesting things could be done in HO standard gauge, though they might fail the "occupy a 7yo for 30 min" test.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 05/10/2014 :  7:50:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably not Larry, too many other things going on right now.

Mike

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 05/10/2014 :  10:30:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... I have a non-cork 2x3 foot board already on hand... So how much cork does the baseboard really need to be? Could I glue some cork to the underside to qualify? Or if I use some cork roadbed? How about if I painted the current baseboard to look like cork before I add any scenery?

Also, I have no access to any 7-10 year olds to test the layout on. Could I use 7-10 drunk college students? I have access to lots of those, though I'd worry they'd be more prone to break things and I doubt they'd be interested in more than five minutes each. But that sort of evens out right?

If I'm granted those two exceptions I'm in. I'll have to decide between On20, On30 and 1:35n2 and maybe have a bit of a dystopian / post apocalyptic theme (think Children of Men or District 9)...

-Cody

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/10/2014 :  11:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cody,
What ever works for you no real cork required. If you have drunk female college students and you can hold their interest for 30 seconds you win.

My current build:

Edited by - BigLars on 05/11/2014 2:59:49 PM

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 05/11/2014 :  12:06:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alright then, I'm in. I better get to work or this will end like every other challenge I've entered, either never finished or slept through completely.

-Cody

Page: of 23 Previous Topic: O-Scale Switching Layout Topic Next Topic: The Town  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000