Railroad Line Forums - Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: drailz22 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Philadelphia & Scranton; A Branch of the NEC Topic Next Topic: treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Page: of 12

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 11/26/2015 :  4:50:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great collection of photographs of Don. Thanks for posting them, Vagel.

Chuck

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2015 :  10:30:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Vagel. I had some understanding of how you worked together, but this gives me a better understanding of Don.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2015 :  12:19:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vagel, your posting is a touching tribute to Don. I've always enjoyed seeing your updates and I knew that Don had a lot to do with your progress and was a big help to you as well as a dear friend. I also enjoyed seeing his woodworking. It always amazed me what he would create. I remember when I did the shelf for my workbench, I was thinking of Don then! I always enjoyed seeing his posts.

Don's passing is a loss to us all, but I'm certain that no one feels the loss more than you. Just remember, Don would want you to continue on with the B&SGE!

Mark

BandO Boy
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/27/2015 :  09:37:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit BandO Boy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vagel - I have always enjoyed the posting's from Don, especially about his bike rides and "quilter bees," if I'm not mistaken... he always came across as a real gentleman... it's clear that you had a great friend in Don, but what's also clear is that he had a great friend in you... condolences -

Best regards -
Jim Fawcett
Scotch Plains, NJ

http://oldmainline.blogspot.com

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2015 :  12:08:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great tribute photos, Vagel, thanks for sharing and condolences to you.

Al Carter

chooch.42
Section Hand

Posted - 11/27/2015 :  2:00:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don's passing is sad news, indeed. Thank you, Vagel, for your vignette on your history together. Don's craftsmanship and humor have, no doubt, inspired many here. He will be remembered.

SDB
Section Hand

Posted - 11/27/2015 :  9:46:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have enjoyed this thread for many years, and have recently missed seeing regular updates as you became involved with other activities. However, I know how busy one can become with life's many opportunities....

Your tribute to Don Reed and his participation with the B&SGE is very poignant. Thank you for posting the photos. I will miss reading about his various projects on RR-Line forums -- they were amongst my favorites. I hope you continue to work on the B&SGE, and continue to posts progress updates as time goes on.

May Don rest in peace.

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2015 :  01:32:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Just catching up. I didn't know Don passed away. Very nice tribute Vagel. Bill

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2015 :  02:21:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Vagel. Your memorial is lovely.

Don will be missed by me and many others on here. Seeing what he has put into your layout has been a great journey and I look forward to seeing you continue that journey.

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

bullbrauch
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/29/2015 :  12:01:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vagel,

Thank you and please accept my condolences. I've never met Don but I will certainly miss his presence here. Keep plugging my friend!

Brandan
Living in Colorado,
home of the Rio Grande

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  12:27:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the kind responses to the Don Reed tribute; it was much appreciated.

Today I finally got back to work on the layout with some track weathering before ballasting in the Richmond Hill area on the B&SGE. Here is the result:

Ballasting a a few ground cover touch-ups here will bring to "good enough" level the scene that greets visitors coming through the front door. Next I think I'll extend my efforts a couple of feet to the left, moving into Springtown, before going back to the Buchanan Branch, which has a number of scenery projects waiting.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  12:07:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its good to see you working on the layout again Vagel! That is a really nice looking scene. I like the ballast and profile of the area. Nicely done!

Mark

ebtnut
New Hire

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  2:46:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vagel: Just catching up. Condolences on Don's passing. I know he was a great friend.

SDB
Section Hand

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  9:48:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to see some progress photos from the B&SGE. Keep 'em coming!

Stuart

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/04/2015 :  4:49:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, gents. Ballasting progresses at Richmond Hill.

A couple nights ago, I glued down the ballast in the cut, and today I extended the work across the fill, first running a bead of white glue along the edge of the cork roadbed and smoothing it down with an old brush before sprinkling mixed medium and fine light and medium gray WS ballast over that.

Here's what it looked like after I vacuumed up the loose stuff at the bottom of the fill and spread and glued down ballast between the ties:

Finally, I went back into the cut and sprinkled and piled some fine and coarse WS brown ballast between the track and walls of the cut to try and simulate that this is a fairly "live" strata that's been cut through. It was still really wet when I took this shot with my iPhone, so it'll be a different shade when it's dry.

I'll be away from the layout again for a few days ... term papers to grade this weekend.

See you soon, though (I hope).

Edited by - Vagel Keller on 02/05/2016 11:19:05 PM

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: The Philadelphia & Scranton; A Branch of the NEC Topic Next Topic: treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000