Railroad Line Forums - Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 98 ]  [ Newest Member: Davidsamuels ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2 Topic Next Topic: Construction of the new PRR Northern Division
Page: of 12

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/26/2015 :  09:19:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love that scene Vagel. Just a little bit of railroad and a lot of scenery! And I love the way the terrain goes down to the stream and then up a hillside while the railroad traverses through it. It looks very natural. Well done!

Mark

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/27/2015 :  5:54:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was fun making trees! We'll make more next Wednesday.

Don

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2015 :  4:13:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vagel has the layout open today for the RPM meet in Greensburg. I hope he's getting a few visitors. (I spent the afternoon hosting the Quilting Bee - poor planning on my part. I should have canceled or rescheduled.)

Don

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2015 :  5:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vagel Keller

Well, those trees still haven't been planted yet, but I HAVE been doing other things, such as continuing to experiment with operations on the standard gauge Cumberland Valley Branch. By the way, did that load of pigs from So. Penn Furnace Co. arrive at the Harrisburg works yet, HARSCO? I imagineered a spike in demand for steel ca. 1938 that your integrated blast furnace plant couldn't keep up with.

Anyway, I just wanted to let folks who follow this thread know that I just posted a brief update over on the Layout Design/Ops SIG forum about an Ops Manual I put together based on futzing with trains on the CV Branch over the past couple months (when I was supposed to be planting puff balls).

Merry Christmas, everybody!

Vagel, abject apologies for missing this post; apparently I THOUGHT I subscribed to your thread and didn't. Just got caught up on all the progress. Those H-10's are indeed sweet!

And far as that load of pigs....let me look around....with this crew, it might have ended up on a siding somewhere.

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2015 :  5:28:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Harsco

quote:
Originally posted by Vagel Keller

Well, those trees still haven't been planted yet, but I HAVE been doing other things, such as continuing to experiment with operations on the standard gauge Cumberland Valley Branch. By the way, did that load of pigs from So. Penn Furnace Co. arrive at the Harrisburg works yet, HARSCO? I imagineered a spike in demand for steel ca. 1938 that your integrated blast furnace plant couldn't keep up with.

Anyway, I just wanted to let folks who follow this thread know that I just posted a brief update over on the Layout Design/Ops SIG forum about an Ops Manual I put together based on futzing with trains on the CV Branch over the past couple months (when I was supposed to be planting puff balls).

Merry Christmas, everybody!

Vagel, abject apologies for missing this post; apparently I THOUGHT I subscribed to your thread and didn't. Just got caught up on all the progress. Those H-10's are indeed sweet!

And as far as that load of pig iron goes....let me look around....knowing this crew, it might have ended up on a siding somewhere.

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/20/2015 :  11:19:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vagel just reminded me that he will be open this Sunday afternoon (starting at 1:30) as part of the NMRA Keystone Division Jamboree layout tours. If you're attending the Jamboree, be sure to stop by. Directions and a map are available at registration.

See ya'

Don

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/20/2015 :  11:33:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of these days I'll make it up there for a visit, but it won't be this weekend. Any updates to post? This thread has been too quiet!

Mark

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/21/2015 :  09:14:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for you concern, Mark.

Activity on the layout has been curtailed by my being involved in a number of activities in Scouting, both at the troop level and as a member of our district training committee (which doubles, and sometimes triples, the number of weekends I end up committing). Also, I was called back to adjunct teaching at Carnegie Mellon in Fall 2014, and will be doing that at least thru this coming Fall, which has put a major crimp in my weekday and weeknight free time for futzing in the layout room.

I was able to lay in a small stock of foliage material last week, so we might be able to make a few more puffball trees tomorrow, before the open house coming this weekend.

By the way, if anyone is coming to the SPF, er, PRRT&HS annual meeting at State College in two weeks, I'm giving a talk on the branch lines of the East Broad Top Railroad.

Edited by - Vagel Keller on 04/21/2015 09:15:35 AM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/21/2015 :  09:28:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to hear from you Vagel. It does sound like you have a full schedule these days!

Mark

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/22/2015 :  10:46:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don and I made about 3 dozen light green puffball trees; enough when mixed with the remaining variety of fall foliage puffballs to extend the woods down the Buchanan Branch as far as Reeds Trestle.

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/23/2015 :  8:57:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was a fun session.

Don

Twist67
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/24/2015 :  11:10:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Twist67's Homepage  Send Twist67 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there,
nice to see an update on that beautiful layout.Very nice scene.

Cheers;Chris

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/07/2015 :  11:51:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words, Chris.

Here are a couple of panoramic shots to bring things up to date on the state of scenicing the flanks of Tuscarora Mountain on the B&SGE's Buchanan Branch:

Don and I made enough green puffball trees a couple weeks ago that should allow me to fill in the remaining gaps down as far as Reed Trestle when we dip into the fall foliage gound foam bins at our next puffball-aganza. But for now, I'm all outta excuses for leaving bare the area around the ore processing plant and tipple.

Don also generously donated a very nice 50,000 tub, which, management hopes, will prevent any further "boiler incidents" at Tascott.

Don built it from an old Alexander Models kit; quite a nice addition to the layout. I have an extra standpipe from the two Walthers steel water tank kits that I built for Chambersburg to install between the S. Penn Branch main and siding, too.

That's it for this time, but I'm also working on a post for the Operations on the B&SGE thread in the OpsSIG Forum.

It will be about serving the two small industries at Springtown, so look for that in the near future.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/07/2015 :  12:19:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The water tank and the puffballs are nice improvements.

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 05/07/2015 :  2:47:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Vagel, The scene is coming along nicely. I noticed an onion shaped silver dome sticking out of the trees. Did you scratch build that or did it come on a model that is available? I need one for one of my industries I am going to model. Bill

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2 Topic Next Topic: Construction of the new PRR Northern Division  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.35 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000