Railroad Line Forums - Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 98 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: Traintinker ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Philadelphia & Scranton; A Branch of the NEC Topic Next Topic: treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Page: of 12

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/22/2014 :  10:27:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, those trees still haven't been planted yet, but I HAVE been doing other things, such as continuing to experiment with operations on the standard gauge Cumberland Valley Branch. By the way, did that load of pigs from So. Penn Furnace Co. arrive at the Harrisburg works yet, HARSCO? I imagineered a spike in demand for steel ca. 1938 that your integrated blast furnace plant couldn't keep up with.

Anyway, I just wanted to let folks who follow this thread know that I just posted a brief update over on the Layout Design/Ops SIG forum about an Ops Manual I put together based on futzing with trains on the CV Branch over the past couple months (when I was supposed to be planting puff balls).

Merry Christmas, everybody!

Edited by - Vagel Keller on 12/22/2014 10:29:03 PM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/22/2014 :  11:16:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw your update in the Layout Design/Ops forum. No explanations needed Vagel. Like you, I am spending a lot of time these days writing waybills, working on cars and a lot of other things related to getting the layout operational, so I completely understand. Don't worry though, all that time your investing will pay off in time! The puff balls will get planted eventually.

Mark

ebtnut
New Hire

Posted - 02/19/2015 :  3:39:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Vagel, when and where is the Mini-Bunch bash? I assume it's coming up next month some time but I don't seem to find info on their Yahoo site. Are you going?

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/19/2015 :  9:20:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ebtnut

Hey Vagel, when and where is the Mini-Bunch bash? I assume it's coming up next month some time but I don't seem to find info on their Yahoo site. Are you going?

As always, the Mini-Bunch annual meeting is on Saturday, Mar. 21 in conjunction with the Midwest Narrow Gauge Show in Greenford, OH. Here's the URL for the show registration:

www.maine2footquarterly.com/midwest.htm

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/19/2015 :  11:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Vagel! You've been quiet recently. What's new on the railroad?

Mark

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2015 :  11:09:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was over there for a couple of hours this past Wednedsay. Vagel is getting the bugs out of his operating procedures. I watched him run trains and we had a nice chat.

Don

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2015 :  01:22:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to hear from you Don and to hear all is well on the B&SGE! I hope we get to see some updates soon.

Mark

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/13/2015 :  4:48:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello, All,

Finally, there's some news and work-in-progress pictures about the layout worth posting.

I haven't told the crew yet, but the layout will be open for the Sunday, Mar. 29 RPM-East drive home day. So that got me off the dime on a little scenery project on the B&SGE that I've been talking about for several months. The deep cut on the Buchanan Branch, just east (downgrade) of the mine spur has been in "page-holder" condition for years, now. There was an unsightly gap between a reused section of foam hillside from the old basement layout and a new piece of roughed-out terrain. Over the past week I hot glued a piece of rosin paper to the new foam piece and brushed on a coat of diluted wood glue to stiffen it, as seen in the pictures below:

Today I added some plaster rock work to ease the transition from the shale outcrop on the old hillside to the crude abutting section of the new piece:

Once it's thoroughly dry, I'll go over the new rock work with some iron oxide-ish acrylic paint mixes and cover up remaining cracks, etc. with WS foliage of various textures and post some more.

On the motive power front, the long-awaited second run of Broadway-Limited H10s 2-8-0's with Lines East tenders arrived yesterday ...

... and they are nestled in their stalls at the Chambersburg engine house. That's John Polyak's Lines West H10s, briefly on loan, keeping the dust off in stall no. 4.

What the ... !? Look at that roof above stall no. 6 ... have t'fix that.

There, that's a little better.

See you next time ...

Edited by - Vagel Keller on 03/13/2015 5:18:34 PM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2015 :  5:43:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's good to see you back at it Vagel. Yes, those H-10's are gorgeous. I've seen a few at various layouts around here and it's amazing what they have packed into them. They will make a nice addition to your roster.

Mark

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/14/2015 :  5:57:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another afternoon working on odds and ends ... the curved turnout in the blast furnace complex has been waiting for the better part of two years for a tension spring to keep its points in position. Today that task finally got done, although I still need to solder some rail joints here and, as this reminds me, elsewhere nearby:

Then came step two in the scenery project below Buchanan on the narrow gauge ore branch:

Above and below, I dabbed acrylic paints to get a red-brown shale outcropping effect:

Then brushed on some glue and applied WS earth tone turf blend to the hillsides above the outcrops:

Below, you can see how puffball trees are used to hide the seam at the bottom of the removable piece of scenery on the downhill side of the tracks:

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2015 :  09:03:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm following along too.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2015 :  10:26:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Vagel. I noted from the last few pictures you've been ballasting the mainline below as well. It looks really good! Since you appear to be so good at it, care to ballast mine?

Mark

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/16/2015 :  11:07:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was able to plant some puffball trees last night. Here are before and "at present" shots of the area I've been working on the past few days:

Mark, I appreciate the compliment, but that area of track has had ballast on it for several years. And, with tongue only partly in cheek, I have found that ballasting is too therapeutic an exercise to waste the opportunity for resting the brain by delegating the task to others.

Edited by - Vagel Keller on 03/16/2015 11:08:50 AM

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/18/2015 :  5:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don and Mark came by today, and we chatted while I continued to putter with scenery on the stretch below Buchanan. Here's the situation as it stands now:

The puffball stockpile is getting low, which is a good thing, because it'll give the other guys something to do when they come over. Ground cover is coming in, now, too, with the first layer starting to spread.

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/26/2015 :  12:30:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don and I made about 45 puffball trees today in a short work/kibitz session. They are needed to more or less finish foliating the 3D backdrop hillsides in and below Buchanan on the HOn3 ore branch in time for the RPM-East open house this Sunday.

I've continued to work on the scene at the end of the peninsula right where guests enter the room. Here is the current state of affairs:

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: The Philadelphia & Scranton; A Branch of the NEC Topic Next Topic: treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000