Railroad Line Forums - Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: dancemark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Philadelphia & Scranton; A Branch of the NEC Topic Next Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2
Page: of 12

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/19/2014 :  11:16:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for showing me your layout last week; the convention is now down to just the train show, then the drive home.

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/21/2014 :  09:47:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Thanks for showing me your layout last week; the convention is now down to just the train show, then the drive home.

It was good to meet and show you the layout, James. I hope you had a good trip home.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/20/2014 :  01:27:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Vagel, it's been a while. I have to believe there's been progress. What's going on?

Mark

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/20/2014 :  11:18:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually, I haven't gotten any work done to speak of on the layout, Mark -- combination of spending the equivalent of 4 weeks away on Scouting-related activities and not having the energy to do scenery work when the guys have come around. I have a batch of puff ball trees ready to plant, though, so maybe something will show up here soon.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/20/2014 :  12:11:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well with the cooler weather now approaching, perhaps your motivation level will increase. Believe me, as you may recall, I know what it's like to suddenly find yourself not motivated to do anything.

Mark

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/22/2014 :  8:12:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark and I spent a bit of time with Vagel today. Vagel and I made a few more trees - he has quite a stash now, ready to be installed - and Vagel did some experimenting with various materials for adding water effects to a stream bed. I think he may be posting a couple of pictures later today.

Don

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/23/2014 :  8:45:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was a good day to get off my duff and experiment with colors for that pesky stream bed, with Don and Mark providing two extra sets of calibrated color guide eyes. I ended up just taking the pallet and glomming on brush loads of every brownish, greenish, gray and yellow shade I had in the box-o-acrylic tubes until it looked kinda right. Once it dried, I applied coats of thin, regular, and thick Gloss Medium kindly loaned by Don and stippled things around. First, a fly-over shot while the Gloss Medium coats are still wet ...

Last night, after several hours of drying, I shot these two views. Still lots of textures to add in and around the stream bed, but I like the effect that is coming out:

Edited by - Vagel Keller on 10/23/2014 8:46:00 PM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2014 :  9:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't be drinking that water, Vagel!

This looks like it will be another winner from the B&SGE.

Pete
in Michigan

chooch.42
Section Hand

Posted - 10/23/2014 :  10:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Vagel. Fine waterworks ! Within the limited spectrum on my old (like the user !) computer screen, the stream looks wonderful...in form, texture and coloration. Way to come back from the summer's modeling hiatus ! All the best to you & Don...and all your other Railroad Elves. Bob C.

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/24/2014 :  12:01:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad'juinz like it!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2014 :  12:22:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great to see you at it Vagel! The steam looks great.

Mark

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/29/2014 :  10:38:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mark. I see you're going great guns in Northumberland!

Don and Mark came by today to put finishing touches on a couple more line-side shanties, based on East Broad Top tunnel watchmen's shanties, that Don built up at his "quilting bee" on Sunday. Here they are:

I whiled away the time moving some traffic at Richmond Furnace after a long period of inactivity and cleaning up some things in the Chambersburg Yard.

With the puffball trees Don and I made last week, there are about 120 ready for planting, so I guess I need to make up another batch of Ground Goop and get going ...

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2014 :  11:16:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your moving right along Vagel! I was visiting Rick (Harsco) the other night and he has been working with 'puffballs' also. I'm anxious to get to that point on my layout. Lord knows I'm going to need thousands of them!

Looking good Vagel!

Mark

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2014 :  07:48:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Regarding the final two products from "Shacks are Us" - the were painted entirely with Pan Pastels (other than a primer coat). I kind of like the look - it's pretty muted compared to regular paint. The roofs needs an application of chalk to tone down the contrast between the Rusty Stumps tar paper and the Liquid Leading tar - Vagel will do that at some point. And, boy, those HO scale roofers were sure messy when they applied the tar.

Don

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 10/30/2014 :  9:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don...I just started futzing with Pan Pastels for weathering stuff, but hadn't thought of "painting" a structure with them...very nice effect!

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: The Philadelphia & Scranton; A Branch of the NEC Topic Next Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000