Railroad Line Forums - Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 73 ]  [ Total: 76 ]  [ Newest Member: tillerman1 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread
Page: of 12

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/08/2016 :  07:34:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vagel,

Installing an access hatch so close to the observer certainly presents an extra challenge. We've got a couple of these on our club layout, but more distant. We're using a similar approach. The fellow working on it has one finished to look like a meadow with cows etc surrounded by trees.

Yours is turning out so good that I'll show it to him in case he wants to modify his approach. We have some of that rosin paper.

Mike

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/14/2016 :  10:32:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words ... scenery continued this week, with the focus on cleaning up some long-delayed small tasks around the rock cut leading to Cowans Gap (around the corner, thru the tree tunnel, and into the kitchen) and the access hatch ... which is turning into my version of "The Agony and the Ecstasy" ...

Track is all ballasted and the hillside next to the aisle has received a first coating of ground cover; I've started adding a second layer of course turf weeds and planting some foreground trees from Scenic Express "Super Trees" armatures.

The basic hatch cover is done ...

... now I'm dealing with how to hide the seam. I've done one corner and the front, center, using a combination of Woodland Scenics foliage clusters and some of our home-made puff ball bushes. I think this will work well:

But I'm starting to get nervous about putting my arm in there ... the darn thing looks like a giant, foliage catfish!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/14/2016 :  11:20:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its coming along nicely Vagel.

With regard to the hatch, I used Woodland Scenics polyfiber, which I teased out so it overlapped the edges, then lightly sprinkled textures over that to create an overgrowth look. It did a great job of hiding the imperfection the flap leaves.

I wish I had pictures of what I did, but that layout is long gone! Hopefully my explanation suffices to give you an idea of what I did.

Mark

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/14/2016 :  11:46:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for reminding me, Mark ... I will give that a try.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2016 :  08:26:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vagel,
It's looking better all the time. The fact that there is more greenery on the lift out than the surrounding scenery makes it stand out. Perhaps you intend to do this but once you have the edges disguised you will want to step back and see how you can equalize things a little. Also, you might want to add a sweep of trees that crosses the edge.
Mike

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/15/2016 :  8:02:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Div. 2, NMRA Keystone Division here in the Pittsburgh Area held its monthly meeting at the warehouse of Scenic Express, and I picked up a few items that have been on my shopping list for quite some time. Long time followers of this thread and its predecessor, "A New Home, etc," might recall my kid brother's comment when I showed him some pictures of the little station at Cowans Gap at the end of the B&SGE Buchanan Branch, to wit, it needed a couple of big Hemlocks nearby. Well ...

... this 15" tree scales out just shy of 110 feet, not exactly an ancient old growth Hemlock, but not a young'un, either. My plan is to build up some root system with Squadron Putt, surround it with an ornamental iron fence from a cemetery kit I have lying around, and install a stone pedestal and plaque honoring the last of the old-growth forest that was here before the whole valley was clearcut, necessitating the CCC.

At the other end of the spectrum of vegetable life forms, I picked up a package of hay bales and rolls by JTT Scenery Products, a subsidiary of MRC, and posed a few bales on an old ConCor Model AA truck for delivery to the mule barn at Buchanan:

But there seems to be something a bit more exciting happening on the other side of the barn. I've always wanted to have a Stegosaurus on the layout in commemoration of "Emma," locomotive No. 13 on the famous John Allen's Gorre & Daphetid, sometimes seen in MOW or construction train service. But these days HO-scale dinosaurs are hard to come by; what one finds in museum stores are really big, I guess because the smaller size ones are choking hazards, or something. Anyway, I was b'n'm-ing about this to fellow NMRA Div. 2 member and narrow gauge enthusiast Dennis Vaccaro (among other things) and we went our separate ways. Lo and behold, a week or so later, I got an email from Dennis, with a blurry photo attached showing an HO-scale Stego with a notice that she was up for adoption as she had outgrown the shelter where she had been staying and was free to a good home, etc ...

Today the exchange took place. I haven't come up with a name yet, but there's an empty spot on the roster for the B&SGE's newest locomotive, No. 13.

I LOVE this hobby!

Edited by - Vagel Keller on 05/15/2016 8:05:03 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/15/2016 :  9:29:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good, Vagel...

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/15/2016 :  9:46:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like you just found a use for that load of hay, Vagel!

Good luck keeping the Stego going! I thought I told you once never to invest in anything that eats!

Scenery is looking sharp.

Pete
in Michigan

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/08/2016 :  4:13:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pete, the Stego eats, but she also produces wonderful manure, and it's been put to good use. Just look at how much foliage has "grown" around the waste pile on the access hatch since she showed up!

I've been trying to implement Mark's and Mike's advice, and the results are starting to look good. But there are still some problematic spots along the left side where the WS foliage mat is too obvious, although I must say the camera is much less forgiving than the naked eye.

Finally got the enclosed water tank "planted," as well, and another 12" of the tipple spur ballasted at Buchanan so we're making progress again.

Edited by - Vagel Keller on 06/08/2016 4:15:23 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2016 :  4:22:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vagel,

Looks better. Compensating for the fact that--as you said--the camera is a harsh critic, I have to say that you've probably accomplished your goal.

Mike

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/08/2016 :  5:17:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Vagel,

Looks better. Compensating for the fact that--as you said--the camera is a harsh critic, I have to say that you've probably accomplished your goal.

Thanks, Mike!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2016 :  7:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vagel,

Now we can add a Stegosaurus to the Mastodon (4-8-0). I wonder, is a Stegosaurus a 2-2-0 or a 0-4-0?

Mike

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2016 :  8:22:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Vagel,

Now we can add a Stegosaurus to the Mastodon (4-8-0). I wonder, is a Stegosaurus a 2-2-0 or a 0-4-0?

Mike

I think it's an 0-4-0T, Mike. No tender....

Nice work, Vagel!

Pete
in Michigan

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2016 :  11:38:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Access hatch? There's an access hatch? I don't see an access hatch!

Looks great Vagel. I'm going to assume you aren't finished with foliage in the area. That being the case, once you 'balance' out the application of foliage, including trees, onto and around the hatch, it will be come increasingly less noticeable.

Mark

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  06:04:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The access hatch looks great Vagel. One of the things that makes it stand out a wee bit to me is that there is a lot more foliage and texture on the left and bottom of the access hatch than the surrounding scenery. I imagine that you will add more scenery to the rest but at the moment it stands out because it looks like it is hiding something in comparison to the rest of the lower hillside, if that makes sense?

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad Topic Next Topic: NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate  Support Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000