Railroad Line Forums - Martin G. Jones Machine Shop
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 150 ]  [ Total: 159 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Martin G. Jones Machine Shop
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The California Northern & Cascade Modular RR Topic Next Topic: Southern Oregon Roll Call!
Page: of 32

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  12:22:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg thanks always good to have someone like you watching.

Rick it was to small for all the machines I was going to not use all of them but then thought what would I do with the ones that didn't fit thus a bigger project.

Phillip thanks. Martin is out of the corner on probation!!

Rich yes I'm slow but maybe just maybe. I'll get this one finished this time.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

jbwilcox
Section Hand

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  11:58:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just found this topic and have read all 20 pages. Your modeling is unbelievable.

I would like to know what type of glue you use and how do you hold parts in place while the glue drys.

I have built several models with small parts and I fight and fight to get them to hold in place, even when using ACC glue. I know I will never be in your class but can you give a little explanation of how you actually build your models?

I liked the Blacken It technique. I will have to give that a try.

I hope you will continue this thread to completion.

jbwilcox

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  12:15:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well thank you very much John. Glad to have you look in.

On the machines on gluing the small parts together.

I use the blacken-it first.
Then the buff the parts with a soft pad.
Stain the large parts with a green diluted mix.
The small parts can not be stained until after you glue them together (ACC) sometimes I use a 2 part epoxy.

Or as Dave Revelia would say all need is patience!

If you have any other questions let me know.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  12:50:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who makes blacken? (source?) can't remember

Philip

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  2:32:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Philip

Philip

Philip nobody makes it anymore. The guys who owned it both died.

Now I use JAX Pewter Black. Works just as good you just have to make sure you rinse it well after it turns black.

Jerry

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  3:01:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  4:49:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's also AK interactive Metal Burnishing that works good on Blackening white metal.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  4:56:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Philip

Phillip,

I have a bottle with 4.1 ounces of Blacken-it in it, never used, that I will sell for $1,500/oz. and I will throw in the extra 0.10 oz. for free!! Free shipping of course!
Rich

Jack M
New Hire

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  6:07:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To blacken a model I have used a product called Neolube for the last 50 years. It is liquid graphite in isopropanol alcohol. It is a dry film conductive lubricant used extensively at nuclear power generating plants and other nuclear facilities as an anti-seize compound, thread lubricant and for lubricating moving parts and rubbing surfaces. The thinness of the coating, coupled with high lubricity, provides clean long wearing lubrication without redesign of component dimensions. It drys in seconds and even if you use the brush in the cap and slop it on it drys to a thin surface. I originally purchased it to paint a graphite smoke box on an HOn3 locomotive. I spent almost a hour to carefully apply it so it didn't run. When it was dry I thought I had better spray on a coat of Dullcoat to protect the finish as fingerprints will turn the graphite color black. To my dismay the Dullcoat turned the Neolube flat black.
I also paint the rails on my track with Neolube and in this case after painting it I light it on fire with a lighter. Neolube really never wears off. It also conducts electricity. I have found that you can even paint plastic with too and it doesn't wear off.
It is made by Huron Industries and a 2 oz bottle retails for $17.95 last time I saw it at a local hobby shop. I think that you can find it at PBL Locomotive Sn3 supplier and also at MicroMark. It will last probably for a lifetime if you store in a refrigerator so it doesn't get dry and evaporate. I still have half a bottle that I purchased 50 years ago. It was originally $4.95 a bottle back in the 1960's.
I wish that they made it in different colors as you could paint a brass locomotive, models made of plastic, etc. and only have to use a brush. Just slop it on and it dries to a thin smooth surface. The only downside of this product it that it runs easily and if you spill it on your pants or on carpets it won't come out as I have ruined a few pairs of pants over the years. I threw away all the Blacken-It and other compounds I had and use Neolube exclusivity now.

Jack M

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  10:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have a bottle with 4.1 ounces of Blacken-it in it, never used, that I will sell for $1,500/oz. and I will throw in the extra 0.10 oz. for free!! Free shipping of course!
Rich

What? Again? You never sent my driftwood stain. lol

Edited by - Philip on 02/13/2018 10:54:44 PM

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  12:51:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Rich

What? Again? You never sent my driftwood stain. lol

Phillip,

Is that "my" bottle of driftwood stain?? I don't remember taking that picture, if it is!
I can't now, I used my bottle on my FSM Emporium Seafood build. Sorry!

Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  12:53:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry,

You are up rather late, like me.

Where's that Machine Shop?? I would like some pictures of your progress.

Rich

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  9:31:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah Jerry, get to crackin! Kidnapped at Westlake Pub again?
Philip

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 02/19/2018 :  08:07:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found Jerry. He is at the beach waiting for the snow to melt.

Roland

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/19/2018 :  08:32:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^^^

As you think, so will you be.

Page: of 32 Previous Topic: The California Northern & Cascade Modular RR Topic Next Topic: Southern Oregon Roll Call!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000