Railroad Line Forums - Operations on the B&M Eastern Route
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Operations on the B&M Eastern Route
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Beginning With SwitchWithIT Topic Next Topic: SwitchWithIt (New Install)
Page: of 8

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  11:04:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratualtions James. The yellow resin board parts look good. What did you end up doing about the chimney radio shadow problem? Bob.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  11:34:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pete & Bob. I reduced the radio shadow issue by 1) moving the dongle to a socket closer to the edge of the layout (but still quite close to the command station) and 2) telling the operators to wave the throttle below their waists (where there's less layout in the way) if they don't get a response with it at eye level.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/10/2015 :  12:35:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks and sounds like a successful session James! Every session with generate some sort of 'to-do' list for us. Fix one thing, and something else goes afoul. I guess it's to be expected. But all in all, it sounds and looks like a good time had by all.

Mark

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2015 :  12:30:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
During a layout tour visit at the PSW Region convention in Scottsdale, AZ, the subject of local freight operation during times of heavy
passenger traffic came up. I mentioned West Lynn as an example, and thought it would be worth posting a few details here:

The five tracks across the middle of West Lynn are, from the top: West Lead, Westbound Main, Middle, Eastbound Main, East Lead. All of
these, plus the yard, existed in the prototype. One of the reasons I decided to model West Lynn was the plausible justification for a fan-out
that made my Draw staging (left) a useful length. My Middle runs to the staging track used by Bexley-Boston haulers, the others
are all passenger.

West Lynn's switcher originates at Bexley (below, on the opposite side of the room). It may move cars between Bexley and West Lynn,
but most traffic is set out and picked up by the Bexley-Boston haulers.

West Lynn yard (upper right corner) lets the B&M switcher get things organized without entering the main and offers some other car
spots to switch. The upper two tracks serve Acme Fast Freight and West Lynn Team, leaving 6- and an 8-car tracks for sorting incoming
and outgoing blocks.

Cars are interchanged with GE's in-plant RR on the two 'receiving' tracks in front of Bldg. 41. I haven't built the rest of GE's track,
but when I do a 44-tonner will move cars between receiving and other internal spurs. If I need to liven things up, I'll add a few
'intra-plant' moves requiring GE's loco to cross the main to the Gear Works.

The B&M switcher usually has to foul two westbound passenger staging tracks (left upper) when switching 'receiving', but this hasn't
been a problem yet. It only has to do runarounds when taking cars across the main to the Gear Works and Fuel spurs. Because at
most two runarounds are needed per shift and they can be done on either side of the mains, it hasn't been a problem. Some operators
choose to saw through the Middle track, others use the crossover at the bottom right.

So far, the track shown has been adequate for up to maybe 12 cars in and out in a shift, while 8-12 passenger trains and one hauler
round trip pass through.

Edited by - jbvb on 09/19/2015 12:36:29 AM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2015 :  8:39:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Three friends came over this afternoon; we ran most of the Saturday AM schedule. At a clock ratio of 4:1 with a couple of pauses for
mechanical issues, we ran out of time for the last two passenger trains.

Here Jeff runs a light eastbound Portsmouth Local past Rowley. I hope this area gets evaluated for the Scenery AP soon.

Thorsten is a bit taller than the builders of my attic anticipated 215 years ago. His Lynn Goat got half again as many cars as usual,
but there was enough track to handle them. It just earned his crew some overtime.

The mechanical issues were a power turnout I had to adjust, an incompletely soldered rail joint and a stock rail - closure rail
jumper which went open circuit. I'll fix that last one tomorrow. Meanwhile, after looking at and cleaning up some misdelivered cars,
I'm making the errors into another dozen spreadsheet weighbills. Their 'block' field seems to be reducing confusion.

Edited by - jbvb on 11/15/2015 8:46:07 PM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2015 :  9:23:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are some great overall shots of your layout James. It really looks nice!

Mark

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2015 :  9:47:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

I agree with Mark. It looks like the guys had fun on a very nicely done layout! Congratulations!

Pete
in Michigan

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/15/2015 :  11:14:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great, James.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  2:18:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The railroad looks great. It also looks like a lot of fun to operate.

Bay Ridge Yard in New York operated by the New Haven had a similar track arrangement. The yard was divided in half by the 4 track mains. Two west and two East. They had it worked out where in a nutshell they made transfers on each side of the yard and crossed over the mains to deliver and pick up cuts of cars during the day. Most of the regular switching took place at night as did most freight movement. Bill

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Edited by - nhguy on 12/01/2015 2:22:14 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/28/2015 :  12:32:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill (belatedly, but December has been busy), almost everything I know about Bay Ridge is from one NHRHTA Shoreliner article, and I don't recall it saying much about operating it, so thanks.

Last night four of us ran the Saturday timetable and only one train got annulled. This was because Erich kept on running the 2nd Bexley Goat well into overtime. There were only a couple of weighbill mis-reads, indicating I need to finish the job of converting them to spreadsheet output.

Erich and Larry co-operate on moves in Bexley yard.

Thorsten's steam-hauled Portsmouth Local approaches Bexley Tunnel. Mieke finished the skirts she was working on, but I hadn't glued this one's velcro in place yet.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/16/2016 :  10:00:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did not manage to take any pictures of today's op session. Largely because I decided to try calling crews for particular trains.
Previously, I'd been giving a throttle and timetable to each crew, and relying on them to progress from one train to the next.
I liked the way 'calling' worked during the early morning hours, but was distracted by fixing operational issues as the rush hour
was supposed to be starting, so a number of trains got annulled.

The 9AM start led to some late arrivals. Two people hadn't confirmed so I wasn't sure which timetable to run until the last minute.
And a Big Life Crisis afflicted one of my friends yesterday so my prep started with cleaning up in-progress scenery projects after dinner.
A couple of people had to leave about Noon, so we didn't run the whole 12 hours. The signal system got many positive comments, so
clearly I should get the rest of the main done as a fairly high priority.

Post mortem: Clock stopped about 10:00 scale time. Both yard switchers had run overtime, the Lynn Goat has another scale hour of
switching to do. The Boston - Bexley hauler ran about 45 min. overtime, and was very light on the return trip. The passenger
trains ran well, one turnout bothered a 2-8-2 and the caboose of its train. I managed to mix a DC turn to Bexley in with the DCC,
but I caused some glitches by leaving block switches in the wrong position. The Portsmouth Local never got called.
I wasn't using all the available throttles to the max during rush hour. Track and wheels were clean enough.

Next time:

1. Cabooses and passenger cars that occupy (trip signals) are pretty but not critical when almost all track is easily visible to operators.
2. Use the two wired throttles for the yard jobs. Maybe buy a third, for 3 wired and 3 wireless.
3. Keep the wireless throttles in a pool so I can find a free one when a train's crew is 'called'.
4. Some way of marking a timetable to remind crews what train they're running; If I give out separate train cards that's another thing to
handle, and they need the view of where their train fits in with others present in the whole timetable.

Anyway, it was fun for me and the operators and I hope I can manage another before hot weather arrives.

Edited by - jbvb on 03/16/2016 10:02:30 PM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/16/2016 :  10:21:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a Day of Fun, James, except perhaps for the Big Life Crisis, which sounds ominous. Hope all are well.

I appreciate your post-mortem information-- it's helping me as I try to get a schedule going for a friend, and as I try to rebuild my latest tear-down of a Significant Chunk of my own railroad....

Your post-mortem, BTW, sounds a lot like some of the "Wine Time" discussions out here....

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/25/2016 :  9:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since my last op session, I've visited six countries and seen a lot of model and prototype railroading. But only one op session, courtesy of the chair of Port City Rails:

Carleton RR owner Steve (l) discusses operations in Waterville with Peter, while Jeff (r) waits for a yard crew to finish switching his train.

Steve's two busiest yards are on different decks, but adjacent. Here Mark is in the midst of the action while Jeff continues to wait for his train. When they were finally done, it was a corker...

I started with an inter-line passenger service using a mix of CPR and Carleton RR equipment. Here it's leaving Avondale.

Quite a few passengers were waiting at Waterville.

The valley of the Saint John River is well suited to potato growing, and Steve put a lot of effort into this late-summer field.

Edited by - jbvb on 05/25/2016 9:28:37 PM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  07:59:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, the potato field in the last picture is impressive. How long did it take to make all those rows of plants?

George

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/26/2016 :  08:20:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
George, Steve didn't say. But his NMRA AP Scenery certificate was hung on a wall, and IIRC he said the field had been a lesson in humility.

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: Beginning With SwitchWithIT Topic Next Topic: SwitchWithIt (New Install)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000