Railroad Line Forums - Free Design Help
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: buc45 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Free Design Help
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: shelf layout composition Topic Next Topic: Modular Traction Layout
Page: of 19

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  6:21:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by milocomarty

Rob, do you still like to design. I do have a challenge, keywords: Industrial, O gauge 1:45, modules 1.2x 0.7 meter, 4,8 meter overall lenght and one elevated track as a single track passing mainline. Modules for the curves and the shadow station are designed already..

Hey Marty,

Sounds like an interesting challenge. Either post or send me the details for the connecting elevated mainline, and what I can do with it, and any other details you think that I will need.

Take care,
Rob.

Edited by - robchant on 10/24/2016 6:22:53 PM

railbuilderdhd
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  10:52:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rob,

That was fast. I can't get over how fast you got this done. I like what I see but feel there's a little missing. I need to take a look when I have time to review but I do like the clean track work. Can you tell me the smallest radius you ended up with on your version?
I'll be looking at this as soon as I can. I'll be in touch soon.

Dave

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2016 :  06:59:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Shall try to draw a rough sketch of what I have in mind Rob, scan and upload..

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

railbuilderdhd
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/25/2016 :  10:28:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rob/ all,

I've looked over the layouts and found some areas I would like to see if we can change or if you can give input on my ideas here. I've made 4 separate images so you can see the ideas more clearly. Let me know if you have any questions.

All - hard to read

Mainline tracks

Sidings

Reverse Loop areas

I know these are not the clearest but I think you can see what I'm trying to do.

A little on some thoughts. I would like to have the mainline be able to run with the ability to work trains on the center area. This will allow my son (4 year old) to run trains and I can do some train moves from areas without having to worry about my son always crashing into me. I know he will anyways. I'm just trying.

Thanks,
Dave

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/25/2016 :  2:42:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave,

Obviously you are better at visualizing things in 3D than I am, since I can't see how all this is going to work. I also see tracks that are different heights, but only inches apart. Can you give me some ideas of what elevations you plan to use?

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/25/2016 :  2:43:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by milocomarty

Shall try to draw a rough sketch of what I have in mind Rob, scan and upload..

Sounds good Marty. Whenever you're ready.

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/25/2016 :  3:49:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave: I made this sketch representing Rob's version of the track plan. There is a branch line, a mainline and a reversing loop.

I don't understand what is missing. Although Rob didn't include a passing siding or a runaround, you didn't either.

Trains can switch the industries on the branch. They can also leave the branch, travel on the mainline and return to the branch. Trains can turn using the reversing loop and engines can turn on the wye at the engine facility.

Hope this sketch helps. Bob.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

railbuilderdhd
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/25/2016 :  6:36:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robchant

Hi Dave,

Obviously you are better at visualizing things in 3D than I am, since I can't see how all this is going to work. I also see tracks that are different heights, but only inches apart. Can you give me some ideas of what elevations you plan to use?

Take care,
Rob.

Hi Rob

I do have training from art school and I had worked for years as a spacial analyst but this has been great help.

I have to say you have me thinking of things I had not before. Like the distance between the tracks that run next to each other. I can see that not going to work.

I'm not sure I like the way the side enters the mainline. Also, I would like to keep the mainline running to the back (top) right side of layout.

I'll get some new plan based on this input and share soon.

I would like to hear any other input folks have.

Thanks so much,
Dave

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/25/2016 :  7:04:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Bob, I think Dave's biggest concern with my plan is that there is no second loop for his son to use to operate a train by himself. Although I don't think the connections are going to work as Dave suggests, that has to be allowed for in the final plan. I just didn't know enough about his intent, for me to include that option, so I think it is back to the drawing board. As you noted, I had also realized there was no passing track, so we have to add look at that issue as well.

Dave, I will see if I can also come up with another version that is closer to your vision.

Take care,
Rob.

railbuilderdhd
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/25/2016 :  8:50:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob

I would like to ensure I have enough track to keep me occupied when my son runs trains. If you would like to try a totally new plan as well as alter some bench I'm open for ideas. The one thing I have also thought about was this layout may not last that long. With my son young he may want to replace it when he is see so I've tried to keep an open mind to the entire thing being replaced. That said I do want to get the track down and trains running this winter. I don't want my son to old before I get a train running. Lol. I've only been planning this whole thing since 2012. Yes, that long. I had years off for my son and I had started with the entire room but now I know I need a major workbench as that's as important to me as the layout. See I want to do art as well in the work area so I need it to be a major part of the room.

There's a lot more background and if you like to redesign I would be open to look at what is done. I will say the bench work I've competed covers the layout along to top wall from the right corner to the large area planned for the quarry. I also hVe the bench work in place for the cement plant and little section connecting to the top right section.

Ask any questions you have. I'll be watching the game tonight but I'll check in as I can.

Dave

railbuilderdhd
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/25/2016 :  8:55:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob
Thanks for your version of the layout. I wanted to let you know it was great to see the layout as a graphic on how it works. This helped me clear out the images of the layout I have in my mind and think of how the trains run. I need that.

Dave

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/25/2016 :  11:15:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave,

I decided to start over, and concentrate on making a layout that should keep both you and your son happy while keeping the collisions to a minimum. I decided to go with a double tracked dog-bone style configuration for the mainline. Since that way your son can operate on the outside loop, and you can operate on the inside loop between the quarry and the plant. There are also several crossovers between loops.

It required that I swap the location of the plant and quarry, but everything is still there. There was also not much need for a reversing section either, since you always have to travel the loop of mainline to get between both switching point. And I think even after your son has outgrown the layout, you should still find it fun to operate.

Here's the modified design:

Take care,
Rob.

railbuilderdhd
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/26/2016 :  10:27:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob,

I'm really liking this design. I do see a lot of track and not a lot of room for scenery but I'm thinking this will work for my son to play and me to have a little fun too. I'm going to rework this into the bench I've created before and see how it works and what I need to tweak to get it working for this new design. I would like to hear if anyone else has thoughts.

Dave

railbuilderdhd
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/26/2016 :  10:32:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob,
I wanted to know if you have made any changes to the size of the bench work other then the edges. It seems the area where the quarry is now located may be a little smaller then before. That may just be from the edge being changed. Also, do you have the original file I may be able to get imported into my software. Not sure it will but I can try.

UPDTE: I see the size is same. I just did an overlay of the image with mine in Photoshop and it's almost identical.

Thanks so much.

Please let me know what I can do to thank you.
Dave

Edited by - railbuilderdhd on 10/26/2016 10:44:57 AM

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/26/2016 :  1:44:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave,

Glad you found out that I didn't alter the bench work except for rounding the corners. As for thanking me, getting your son interested in model railroading is thanks enough. Just glad I could help.

Take care,
Rob.

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: shelf layout composition Topic Next Topic: Modular Traction Layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000