Railroad Line Forums - Free Design Help
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 11 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: Dan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Free Design Help
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: shelf layout composition Topic Next Topic: Wednesday Night Ops on the CL&W
Page: of 19

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 10/04/2016 :  9:40:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rob, I like it alot. MARK

W,L,&E

David Clark
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/06/2016 :  1:49:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob,
I've had some input on the straight shelf layout you did and I'm being encouraged to have a spot to have cassette to allow trains to enter and leave the layout. Can we curve the track south off the edge, without taking up too much room? It was also suggested that a turntable in front of the engine house would be nice - maybe to replace that turnout? Do turntables come smaller than 48'?
Thanks for your help,
Dave

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/06/2016 :  2:34:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave,

Having a curve in that track will pretty much eliminate the wharf on the left hand side. As for the turntable, I have seen 9" ones (that is 36') which I think would be just long enough for your Forneys.

Take care,
Rob.

Rob Chant
Glace Bay, NS
CANADA

TREAD: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42599

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 10/06/2016 :  4:10:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Dave, how about replacing the wharf on the left with a single track car float 24" long. That would allow three cars interchange, two passenger cars , or one loco and two cars. Mark

W,L,&E

David Clark
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/06/2016 :  5:29:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BBLmber

Hey Dave, how about replacing the wharf on the left with a single track car float 24" long. That would allow three cars interchange, two passenger cars , or one loco and two cars. Mark

Mark,
Oddly enough when I first started thinking of a wharf layout, I wanted a car float and it kinda went by the wayside. This would serve the purpose of the cassette, wouldn't it? I like. I like!
Dave

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/06/2016 :  8:01:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Clark
...This would serve the purpose of the cassette, wouldn't it? I like. I like!
Dave

Dave: I wonder about that. What was the purpose of the cassette? Unless you have through traffic, the industries on your layout are going to determine the car types needed. Team tracks are one way of broadening the car types.

Cassettes are usually used for hidden staging or to function as fiddle yards without the need to actually handle the rolling stock. Entering the layout and leaving the layout is a nice set of "bookends" for a session. A car float could work that way for very small trains. (i.e., engine, caboose and 2 cars).

But your track plan implies a mainline connecting with someplace else and at least one engine based on the layout. So you would still have scheduled trains with no staging.

Having said that, the best reason to have a car float is that you like them and want one. The rest is background noise.

Bob.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

Edited by - rca2 on 10/06/2016 8:03:55 PM

David Clark
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/07/2016 :  3:02:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by rca2... your track plan implies a mainline connecting with someplace else and at least one engine based on the layout. So you would still have scheduled trains with no staging.

My eventual plan was to possibly have a longer run if space became available later on. For now I definitely see only 1 engine and teh car float could bring in cars for which I have no industry represented.
Dave

railbuilderdhd
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  11:09:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rob,

I wanted to know if you are still open to take a look at more layouts and give your input. If you are I would like to hear what you think about the layout I'm currently building now. I'm building the bench work for the layout now. I'm still working out details on the track elevations to ensure I get the tracks working like I'm planning here. The layout is for me and my 4year old son. I was thinking having 2 main lines would be good but I don't see getting the second line completed because of the track elevations being different all over the layout.

Anyway, I would like to hear what you think.

Dave

Edited by - railbuilderdhd on 10/24/2016 11:23:24 AM

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  11:34:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave (railbuilderhd),
I was wondering what program you used to draw up this track plan? I am currently in the beginning stages of a new layout and am trying to find a user friendly program.
Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  11:38:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave (railbuilderhd),
I was wondering what program you used to draw up this track plan? I am currently in the beginning stages of a new layout and am trying to find a user friendly program.
Thanks,
Jeff

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  3:14:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave,

My first impression is that you don't have enough separation between tracks that are on different levels, and you also seem too close to the layout edge and the wall in a lot of places. Just looking at the plan I doubt if the "A2" connection will work. I will mock up the plan in 3rd PlanIt to see if I can give you some other suggestions for the mainline, without altering the benchwork. What scale are you using?

Take care,
Rob.

Rob Chant
Glace Bay, NS
CANADA

railbuilderdhd
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  3:54:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robchant

Hi Dave,

My first impression is that you don't have enough separation between tracks that are on different levels, and you also seem too close to the layout edge and the wall in a lot of places. Just looking at the plan I doubt if the "A2" connection will work. I will mock up the plan in 3rd PlanIt to see if I can give you some other suggestions for the mainline, without altering the benchwork. What scale are you using?

Take care,
Rob.

Hi Rob,

I would love to see what you come up with. I'm working in HO scale. For the bench work I've completed the bench along the top right and cement plant areas. I've yet to build the quarry and hilly areas. I also have not completed the engine area to the bottom right. I did get a little more bench on the top wall so that will help with the clearance along the edges. I didn't think about being to close the edges. The top along the wall is 26 3/4". I don't want to get to much more as that will cut into the walk areas.

I used XtrackCAD for my layout and then exported the file into Photoshop to add more details about the layout.

Dave

railbuilderdhd
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  4:05:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Compton

Dave (railbuilderhd),
Thanks,
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I use XtrackCAD because it's cheap - free. The learning is a little but not bad if you know completes.

Dave

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  4:19:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob, do you still like to design. I do have a challenge, keywords: Industrial, O gauge 1:45, modules 1.2x 0.7 meter, 4,8 meter overall lenght and one elevated track as a single track passing mainline. Modules for the curves and the shadow station are designed already..

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/24/2016 :  6:16:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave,

I was starting to get a bit of a headache following all your track work, and also wondering what you were attempting to do with each track. I narrowed some of it down (but not all) before attempting to redo the mainline configuration.

I noticed that you wanted the train entering the mainline and being able to run around the mainline in either direction which I allowed for. I also noticed that you included a reversing loop, so I added that as well. After that, I became confused as to why the other connections were needed, so maybe you can fill me in on your goals with the rest of the mainline cut-offs to help me understand your intent.

I then addressed some of the other issues I saw. I left more room between the outside track and the edge of the benchwork and also the wall. I also wanted to address the issue that you didn't have enough horizontal separation between tracks that were on different levels. I also simplified the track work where I could.

Here's the modified design:

Take care,
Rob.

Rob Chant
Glace Bay, NS
CANADA

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: shelf layout composition Topic Next Topic: Wednesday Night Ops on the CL&W  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000