Railroad Line Forums - Free Design Help
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: John R ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Free Design Help
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: shelf layout composition Topic Next Topic: Modular Traction Layout
Page: of 19

jmartin
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/28/2016 :  8:23:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rob,

Ill take this new plan into consideration. I think I agree with rca2 through in that the additional industries really aren't needed. I did mess with the plan in CAD on Friday at lunch and actually changed up a couple things. I removed the dock off the road at the center of the plan and removed the warehouse. I terminated the siding to that building just past the cannery. I intend on replacing the warehouse with a oceanfront hotel with a dock to justify a bit of tourist traffic and the building of a cool steamer for passengers. The marine supply will become the fish processing plant, and the old FP plant will become the warehouse so it is collocated alongside the shipping wharf. The lumber dealer will become a distillery or similar.

John Martin
Tega Cay, SC

cajon
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  6:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Send cajon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Rob
Tried to email you about having you draw up part of my LAJ layout. But guess your email addy has changed. Please PM me here.

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
LAJ/ATSF Modeler

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  9:38:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Andy,

Received your email. I am working on it now.

Take care,
Rob.

cajon
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/25/2016 :  02:23:27 AM  Show Profile  Send cajon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a plan for the LAJ Horn Lead by Rob Chant
This is going to be the start of my LAJ layout. The layout will be built modular living in an apartment. So it has to be very portable & not attached in any way to anything! And there's no telling when I'll have to move again.
The layout will consist of 7-9 switch leads, one yard & the ATSF Malabar yard for staging. Thinking of stacking some leads elevator like to get more switching in a given area. Or could build on several levels w/ an elevator section between levels. Rob has several plan like that in his Railroad Line Forums threads.
Have taken some liberties w/ the industries on this leads to have a greater variety of cars. In fact till other modules are built may just change the industries on this layout.

Download Attachment: LAJ Horn Lead Plan Rob Chant Reduced.bmp.jpg
101.54 KB

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
LAJ/ATSF Modeler

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/25/2016 :  10:41:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Andy,

I made the changes that I think I could see in the image you uploaded, but it was very small and hard to make out the details and captions, so I am not sure if I got everything. I also found a Peco 3-way turnout in my library files, and replaced it in the plan. I also used another for the leads to Joslyn since I hadn't realized that I dropped a siding from your original plan.

The new version:

Take care,
Rob.

cajon
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/25/2016 :  3:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Send cajon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks again Rob as It looks real good now! May just use a regular switch vs 3 way for #12 as it only holds one car inside the building. #2 also goes inside the building w/ a dock just outside the door.

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
LAJ/ATSF Modeler

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/25/2016 :  4:01:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Andy,

A regular switch probably won't work at Joslyn, since the track is on a slight curve after the turnout to get the alignment right for building #11. The 3-way gave me the exact curvature I needed, plus allowed the siding into building #12.

Take care,
Rob.

cajon
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  5:15:34 PM  Show Profile  Send cajon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Rob
How about a wye switch in place of the 3 way & a LH switch off the right spur?

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
LAJ/ATSF Modeler

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  7:31:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a slick track plan. Hard to believe 5 stubs and a run-around would fit into that space.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  11:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Andy,

This is the alignment with a Peco small wye:

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  11:34:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob,

I was surprise too how much Andy fit into such a small space. It will be interesting to see how this translates into the real world.

Take care,
Rob.

cajon
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  01:18:57 AM  Show Profile  Send cajon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Attached is the Horn Lead Switch Map. The Horn Lead is in Vernon CA 90058. To see it in Bing or Google aerials use the Federal Cold Storage address in upper left corner plus 90058. No city or state is required by Bing or Google.As can be seen on the map & aerials the Horn Lead industries are very crowded! No way to put all of them in a 24" x 120" module. >)

Download Attachment: Horn Lead Switch Map.bmp-002.jpg
106.37 KB

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
LAJ/ATSF Modeler

cajon
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  01:37:50 AM  Show Profile  Send cajon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cajon

Attached is the Horn Lead Switch Map. The Horn Lead is in Vernon CA 90058. To see it in Bing or Google aerials use the Federal Cold Storage address in upper left corner plus 90058. No city or state is required by Bing or Google.As can be seen on the map & aerials the Horn Lead industries are very crowded! No way to put all of them in a 24" x 120" module. >)
Rob
Thanks for that change to the Joslyn #1 spur.

Download Attachment: Horn Lead Switch Map.bmp-002.jpg
106.37 KB

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
LAJ/ATSF Modeler

David Clark
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/29/2016 :  3:44:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rob,
I'm just new to this group and I saw your generous offer to help with layout design. I have a 13' wall I can use for a layout and could come down on the right side about 5' if I chose. I want a On30 layout that can fit. My original idea was a BC area served by a RR that would bring ore and/or lumber out to a wharf for transport south and west and to receive goods in for the town. My long-term plan was to have a couple of modules I could expand into something bigger when (and if) we moved to a house that gave me more room. Operation is not my focus but having a couple of large dioramas that would keep me busy for a while would be great. I currently own a Forney, a couple of boxcars, a gondola and a flatcar. I was very intrigued by a layout you did earlier on as well as Terry Hansley's Oyster Harbour layout and the Stoney Creek Bachmann layout in On30 Ann 2010. I came up with a layout but is proving to be inadequate to house the buildings I need. I tried uploading it but got an error message.
Thanks,
Dave

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/29/2016 :  5:25:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi David,

Welcome to the forum. I am quite willing to help with your project, however, I need a bit more information. What is the limit for the width of the bench work from the wall? Do you have a minimum radius and minimum turnout number in mind? What part(s) of the railway do you want to model on the layout? The wharf? The town? or the ore mine/lumber operation? Do you want everything on one level, or do you want some elevated track? I don't want to over burden you will questions, so I will leave it at that for now.

Take care,
Rob.

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: shelf layout composition Topic Next Topic: Modular Traction Layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.35 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000