Railroad Line Forums - Free Design Help
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 79 ]  [ Total: 82 ]  [ Newest Member: Davidsamuels ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Free Design Help
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: shelf layout composition Topic Next Topic: Wednesday Night Ops on the CL&W
Page: of 19

jmartin
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/24/2016 :  1:01:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit jmartin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
rca2,

The big thing I was looking to Rob for was the overall feel and design. Once he does that I overlay his image into my Autocad drawing and trace it all using my pre-made templates for turnouts and such. I'm a CAD guy by trade but I stink at layout design so I always look to others to get me part of the way there and then I can handle the rest.

I'm limited in space in the garage which is where this layout is going to reside so using additional HCD sections is really not an option. I am limited by the 3'x20' space I have plus room to move. The only thing I can do is move the camper out of the garage which is really not an option. The L-shaped workbench is pre-existing so I am able to use that as well if I want to.

Using the rear drop leaf staging means I can go to 18" minimum radius and can really fit 21" based on what I drew this morning once I got Rob's image in CAD. After a op session I can move the trains from staging to the visible portion, drop the leaf in back and tuck the layout up against the camper for more room. I am going with a curtain over the front of the layout so I ca fully enclose it when not in use to keep dust off.

John Martin
Fort Mill, SC
http://lancasterandchesterinon30.blogspot.com

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/24/2016 :  1:32:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jmartin

rca2,...I'm limited in space in the garage which is where this layout is going to reside so using additional HCD sections is really not an option....

A door with hinges laid horizontal is a drop leaf. You do have choices as to bench materials. I prefer plywood to door slabs myself.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

Edited by - rca2 on 08/24/2016 1:34:00 PM

jmartin
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/24/2016 :  4:22:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit jmartin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I guess I wasn't jiving on your intent at first but yes, a few 18" door slabs at the rear for staging would do nicely. I tend to like HCD for mobile stuff. They are stiff and light with some minimal framing underneath. I anticipate that I'll glue some L-girders lengthwise along each section with rubber feet on the bottom. At shows all I'll need is some tables to set up and I'll be golden. Some alignment pins in the ends of the doors and alignment should be a breeze. I'll bring leg extensions with me to raise the layout to the right height.

I considered a couple drop leafs in front and still may do that. Looking at the Muskrat Ramble layout from the guys down under the extra water could be useful for boats and such. I just need to plan them since I hate seams in my water. On land you can hide them easily, in water not so much unless you do it in a boat wake which I have done before.

It's been a long time since I modeled anything so the entire thing will be an endeavor for sure, but working in a fast paced environment I need the distraction a lot. I had considered an HO layout of the same dimensions since I have quite a bit of HO equipment (Milwaukee Road) but never found anything I really liked and my eyesight is not what it once was so te larger scale will be nice.

John Martin
Fort Mill, SC

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/24/2016 :  4:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John,

I made the changes you suggested, except for adding the rail barge to the town scene. In my opinion, more is needed for such a scene than just swapping out an industry. Having a rail barge also requires the inclusion of a small sorting yard somewhere nearby. I just felt that too much would have to be sacrificed to make the ferry scene convincing.

Instead, I made the rail barge scene the end of the branch line where there was plenty of room to include a small stub-ended yard, which also gives the justification for the branch. I also added a few more industries on the branch as well, and I have no doubt you could add a few more.

Here's the plan with 18" radius minimum, the drop-down staging, and the L-shaped branch with a rail barge:

Take care,
Rob.

Rob Chant
Glace Bay, NS
CANADA

TREAD: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42599

jmartin
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/24/2016 :  9:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit jmartin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Man that looks good. It is exactly what I had envisioned for the space. Certainly a great way to gain a permanent layout along with a portable layout that offers operation in either form. The long part of the L is 2' longer than my existing bench but I have a fridge in that space that can move easily so I'm good with it as drawn. Not sure how you turn these things out that fast. PLenty of space in the plan for town buildings and not just railroad related buildings. This one is a keeper. Well done and very thankful for the help on this.

John

John Martin
Fort Mill, SC

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/24/2016 :  10:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good!

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/25/2016 :  08:29:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Presumably, the concept being "portable" the area at the top of the drawers is NOT against a wall. Otherwise if you need to getaccess to those tracks that are behind the backdrop, I foresee issues getting to them.

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/25/2016 :  08:45:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David J Buchholz

Presumably, the concept being "portable" the area at the top of the drawers is NOT against a wall. Otherwise if you need to getaccess to those tracks that are behind the backdrop, I foresee issues getting to them.

If I understand correctly, it is in the middle of a two car garage when set up at home. (Which explains the long narrow shape and workbench.) The drop leaf folds down to make room for a vehicle to park in the other stall.

John: I really like your concept for use of the existing space and I too like the track plan. Rob increased the staging to support the branch line and provides a plausible explanation for the stub end of the branch line.

I think you have demonstrated that it is possible to have your cake and eat it too. This will make a great traveling display layout and be fun to operate at home too.

Edited by - rca2 on 08/25/2016 09:01:35 AM

jmartin
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/25/2016 :  12:48:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit jmartin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
rca2 has it correct. It is going down the center of a 2-car garage with the staging open to the other bay that is currently storage for my pop-up camper. I have decided to forego the drop leaf in lieu of a (3) sections 3'-10" x 6'-8". This layout will be shadowbox style with (3) frames per module shaped like a sideways H, with one side deeper than the other. Using cabinet grade birch it should be plenty strong. The lower right corner will tuck right up against the existing workbench and clamp together there with alignment pins to keep it all square. I'm going to go ahead and get a thread started in the On30 section for this build. I have started a couple threads before but nothing ever took off because available space never made itself available. Now that I have carved out my space in the garage I can actually get down to a bit of modeling. Now I just need to figure out whether I want to go DC or DCC. I don't care for sound equipped locos since to my ears they just sound tinny. So really what is the benefit of DCC for a solo operator? Seems DC might just suit the intended purpose.

John

John Martin
Fort Mill, SC

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/25/2016 :  1:39:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John,

I don't know where I got that 12' from, but I am glad you're good with it. However, it could probably be cut back to 10' without too many issues. Any other changes required?

Take care,
Rob.

Rob Chant
Glace Bay, NS
CANADA

cajon
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/25/2016 :  2:44:53 PM  Show Profile  Send cajon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a revision to the staging tracks that may allow more trains to occupy it. It was done using Picasa so wasn't able to center things very good. Or the middle track could be made one long siding. It all depends on your longest train.

Download Attachment: Rob Chant Plan 8-24-16 Rev.bmp.jpg
156.29 KB

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
LAJ/ATSF Modeler

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/25/2016 :  3:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Andy,

From what I gather, John is making the staging area 3'10" wide, so he will have lots a room for staging no matter the configuration. However, I am sure he will take your suggestions into consideration when he plans the back scene. Thanks for looking.

Take care,
Rob.

Rob Chant
Glace Bay, NS
CANADA

jmartin
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/25/2016 :  4:39:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit jmartin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Guys,

The entire layout will be 3'-10" wide. The staging area alone is only 8" wide overall, but that is wide enough for 2 trains in each direction without interfering with the continuous run. Visible scene is 2'-9.5" deep to the backdrop. Ends are capped with nice birch ply and hardwood edging.

No worries Rob about the extra 2 feet. If the wife doesn't want the fridge moved I can adjust on the fly. In reality, once I start laying track I'm sure something will get fudged over one way or another once I see it in place. I did make a minor change in CAD today at lunch. I went with a single track lead to carfloat (4 cars on float). I didn't want a huge float since there won't be a ton of traffic here, but mostly so the carfloat will be more of a sternwheeler style barge with pilothouse. Going for sort of the Muskrat Ramble layout look with this. I think the rundown single track float bridge would make a neat model.

John Martin
Fort Mill, SC

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/27/2016 :  2:06:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John,

I played around with the track plan a bit more since I wanted to change the ferry to one track. I also wanted to give you a few more industries to switch on the branch line while leaving lots of room for other non-rail structures. I also incorporated a few suggestions I received from other members.

Take care,
Rob.

Rob Chant
Glace Bay, NS
CANADA

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/27/2016 :  4:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually prefer the original staging configuration. If I was going to connect all the tracks I would use a double-slip. While double slips are more expensive, in this application the double-slip would replace 4 regular turnouts so it is not more expensive in this case. It also adds a few inches of usable storage to the tracks.

While additional industries are nice, the aspect that I liked best of the earlier version was how you made the branch line seem to run through the country side in contrast with the denser scene on the portable modules. But that is just my personal preference.

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: shelf layout composition Topic Next Topic: Wednesday Night Ops on the CL&W  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000