Railroad Line Forums - Free Design Help
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 87 ]  [ Total: 88 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Free Design Help
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: shelf layout composition Topic Next Topic: Modular Traction Layout
Page: of 19

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/17/2014 :  4:46:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Paul,

Whenever you're ready, it probably would be best to start a new thread and post the link to it here.

Take care,
Rob.

Free Layout Design Help / Some Design Ideas (All Scales)

jbwilcox
Section Hand

Posted - 11/11/2015 :  4:36:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My bench work will be as described below:

12 X 3 foot center section along wall.

Right end: 4 X 6 foot extension making an L

Left end: 4 X 8 foot extension making another l on that side.

All one level.

Bench work to be 1/2 inch particle board topped by 2 inch blue insulation foam with track glued directly to the foam.

Continuous loop around entire layout.

Logging scene at right end.

Mining scene at left end.

Left extension to have a wharf.

I can give you more information as you need it.

Some switching.

DCC Operation using Bachmann On30 DCC with sound equipped engines (4-6-0), (2-6-0), Shay and 0-4-2 Porter

Thanks

John

PS: I sent you an email also.

jbwilcox

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/11/2015 :  5:50:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John: Are the end extensions along walls too or are there aisles on each side? Bob.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

wvg_ca
New Hire

Posted - 11/11/2015 :  11:39:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jbwilcox .your proposed layout is very similar to my second layout, about three years old now . HO scale, I did the benchwork to fit my allowable space first, then the track plan, I also used foam to build elevations, some up to twelve or so inches above 'base' level ... be prepared to build [or buy] an amazingly large number of trees ...

jbwilcox
Section Hand

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  06:29:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is some room on the left extension, maybe about 4 feet would be free.

On the right extension, only about 2 feet is free.

It is on one side of my garage and I have been told that there must be enough room to still park the car inside.

jbwilcox

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  2:26:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
<<< ... Contact made with John ... >>>

PEIR
Section Hand

Posted - 06/05/2016 :  5:04:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Robert,

I had to remove my layout and just put it in with modifications and was wondering if you could tweak the last plan you did for me?

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/05/2016 :  6:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Stephen, I sent you an email.

jmartin
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/23/2016 :  5:25:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob,

If you have the time, I am looking at having a go at designing a portable display layout. Going to be On30 built on (3) hollow core doors (3'-0" x 6'-8" each). Gives me a layout 20'-0" long by 36" wide.

I'd like to do something based on a single town. My thoughts are a continuous run design with staging behind the backdrop for a coupe trains each direction. This would give me a displayed area about 30" deep to the backdrop. Won't be running more than a Porter and a small diesel so 15" curves are suitable. Looking for 6-10 industries to switch in town with a significant waterfront area.

Ideas you may have are welcome.

John Martin
Tega Cay, SC

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/23/2016 :  5:35:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John,

I will send you my thoughts.

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/23/2016 :  10:19:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John,

Here's my attempt at a single town with waterfront plan for you in a 36" x 20' space. Hope it gives you some ideas.

Take care,
Rob.

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/24/2016 :  03:44:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a cute track plan. Lots of operation packed into it.

If one of the waterfront industries was a dock you could have an interchange or a rail to barge transfer point.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/24/2016 :  08:07:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob,

Very efficient design space-wise. You have enough space and siding lengths to make switching fun, not a chore. I like what you did there.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

jmartin
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/24/2016 :  08:27:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob,

That has got to be the fastest turnaround I have seen. Amazing for a single evening. I like the plan a lot, and like the use of 2 separate staging yards at the rear so there is no shotgunning of trains in and out. Using the 36" doors I think the staging at rear will move off the doors and onto drop leaf staging. It will allow me a bit deeper scene with more water at the front edge for a bit of ship modeling and can gain me a bit of radius on curves to operate a passenger loco. I also agree with rca2 and may change out the fish processing plant with a small car float to add a bit of interchange. Since this layout will be a display layout and operating layout combined I think what you have drawn will work nicely for both. Well done.

Think there is a way to add a branch line off to plan southeast to an 8'x10', L-shaped bench along 2 walls? This layout will tuck up against the rear wall at plan east and I wouldn't mind having the option to expand onto the workbench currently in that corner of the garage. Perhaps a small yard for sorting of car float traffic and traffic to and from staging? I know I'm asking for a lot but while I got you I might as well ask. L will be 8' south and 10' west overall. I envision this town being a town at the northern end of a small north/south regional railroad with most other towns south and a single town to the north that gets passenger and team track traffic only. Traffic from the south is more varied and includes several industries down the line handled through staging. Trains arrive from south into yard, are broken up for local and carfloat and new trains made from current yard and sent back to staging. One local takes care of car float and industry switching.

John

John Martin
Tega Cay, SC

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/24/2016 :  11:14:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John. You probably are going to want 18 inch minimum radius for a longer engine or cars. Increasing the radius of the turn-back curves is going to greatly restrict the design options for Rob. If you operate the longer passenger engine and passenger cars (or mixed train) as branch line to town (using the TT to turn the engine) instead of on the continuous loop, you would avoid having to increase the minimum radius to 18 inches. It creates different track problems unless you hand lay track. On this forum you can find examples of shortened passenger cars and drover cabooses running with Porters. I haven't done any chopping myself yet, but I am looking forward to it in the future. I think they look very nice. If you are willing to stick with short rolling stock lengths for the passenger service, you could keep the current return loop.

If you want to run longer cars and engines, that is great too. Personally I choose to run the big 460s and still set a car length cap at 25' (about 7 inches) to increase the number of cars in my trains without needing longer sidings and staging).

I like your idea about adding width with a drop-leaf shelf for the staging yards. A simpler way to get more foreground scenery for the waterfront scene is to add a drop-leaf along the waterfront. Without any track on it, design, construction and operation of the drop-leaf is easier. I would keep scenery relatively simple and make the car float and any other boats removable. Of course you could add a drop-leaf to both sides.

A more basic approach to expanding your real estate width would be to add more hollow core door slabs, running a pattern of six instead of three. Using different widths will get you any size bench you might want up to 72" wide.

I look forward to seeing what you and Rob come up with. Bob.

Edited by - rca2 on 08/24/2016 11:28:02 AM

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: shelf layout composition Topic Next Topic: Modular Traction Layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000