Railroad Line Forums - Free Design Help
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 93 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Free Design Help
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Lehigh Northern Designed for Ops and Expanded
Page: of 21

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  08:57:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rob,

I am moving to the south wall to work on the downtown switch job. I found some track charts for the line from PC to Hagerstown but need your help to indentify the industries in that area. I numbered the unknown spurs on the diagram and also noted some features that would be nice to include in the plan, if possible. So can you fill in some blanks for me?

TRACK CHART:

Take care,
Rob.

Free Layout Design Help / Some Design Ideas (All Scales)

rwproctor
New Hire

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  11:04:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob,

I have reached out to some people I know at the WMRY historical society and shared your track chart with labels. Hopefully someone there can identify a few along the way. I will be searching through what I have today (track charts etc)

Everything is coming together very nicely. I guess you've learned more about the WM in Baltimore than you ever thought you would.

Thanks again,
Rob

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  11:49:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rob,

My other past time is researching railways, so I always like when I get the chance to study a new line. With so much information available online, the process is quite effortless. I will wait until you hear back from your sources, but I roughed in the major scenic features on the downtown switching area. I had to swap a few tracks around to make them fit the available space, but it still should be close to prototype. I also added the piggyback ramp, but I can't see a way to add the B&O connection near pier #9.

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

Edited by - robchant on 03/12/2017 11:51:12 AM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  12:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I looked at the previous yard plan but didn't have time to comment. Here I see more track in several useful places, but I'd recommend a few
changes. From the left:

1. Crossover from the Pier 4/Float Bridge #3 lead to the Pier 5 lead, so moves to/from the yard don't have to pull all the way across the
Patapsco bridge.

2. Commit to separating arrival/departure from classification/storage in the main yard:
A. A pair of crossovers between the yard lead and the main (middle) below the float bridge.
B. Use a straightforward ladder layout for the class/storage tracks.
C. Only if yard storage space is short, remove the connection between one or more of the storage tracks and the RH (stub) ladder.

#2 gives the yard switcher access to all tracks and allows outbound through freights to 'double' their train out of two tracks.

Caboose handling is always awkward in small yards. Here, one approach has the outbound caboose spotted first and the train built on top of it.
Real-life conductors would object, but it wouldn't bother most operators. Or, the switcher can run around the caboose (either using the lead
& crossovers, or by emptying a 2nd yard track) and take it right to tie onto the rear. Or the road engines pull the body of the train out of
the yard and either double onto the caboose spotted on another track, or have it added by the switcher. This ties up the main out to and probably
beyond the crossovers below Float Bridge #2.

Is there room to move the caboose track to beside the grain elevator lead closer to float bridge #3 and make it double-ended? The RH end only
needs enough room for the switcher and 1 or 2 cabooses. The RIP track location is fine, as far as yard operation goes. It'll get switched
once or twice a trick.

If you want to designate a 'thoroughfare' track as a normally-clear way from one end of the yard to the other, it's best to use
the shortest (outside) track rather than a longer inside track.

Note that I am not without sin - anyone who's operated Bexley on my B&M Eastern Route knows that while I have a Thorofare, I didn't make
a double-ended caboose track. But it only originates one westbound freight a shift...

Edited by - jbvb on 03/12/2017 12:04:55 PM

rwproctor
New Hire

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  12:59:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob,

The B&O interchange near pier #9 could possibly be located along the North wall over the work bench area. That could be use as a "fiddle" track. That would be another added switching aspect.

Possibly moving the Piggyback ramp closer to Hanover street, that would allow more room for TOFC track or storage, but that really could fit in anywhere in that area where there ends up being room.

James: Good idea on the crossover from Pier 4 to Pier 5.
Still sorting out your other points.

Rob

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  1:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is all a bit too complicated for me. Regarding the interchange I think the problem is that any addition of tracks along the wall near Pier 9 will be at the expense of Piers 8 and 9. In the 1950s ocean going ships were much shorter than lake freighters, but still it is a trade off against a main scenic theme.

I have read of interchanges that were not actually connected and the transfer of cars was handled operationally during staging. So I guess the question for track planning is how many cars would be interchanged during a session?

jvjb made a good point about track planning requiring compromise.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  2:06:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi James,

Thanks for all the suggestions, I started with the yard and think I have everything included you mentioned. However, I am still not totally happy with the way the caboose track fits into the yard design. Althou it has a lot better access now and I was bothered by that in the original design. I also liked removing the right hand ladder, but I'm still not sure if one of the classification tracks should be double-ended or not.

Here's the new yard design:

Take care,
Rob.

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  2:34:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rob,

If you have room over your work bench then you could move the backdrop forward a few inches and just use a flat for the warehouse on Pier #9. Then the second track that was entering the warehouse could go behind the backdrop to the staging over the workbench.

Staging Added to North Wall:

Take care,
Rob.

Edited by - robchant on 03/12/2017 2:35:35 PM

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  2:54:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind that Sylvan Scale models and Artitec (Reynaulds) have a few other sizes of lake freighters. and steam barges, smaller than those indicted on the plan. You could stuff two or three boats in the same space, instead of something than takes up 70" for just one ship.

Consider selective compression.

Bearco has a resin 36" laker.
http://www.bearcomarine.com/resin.htm
( Looks like it's the same as the one from Sylvan)

http://www.sylvanscalemodels.com/HO%20ships%20new%20page.htm

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 03/12/2017 3:55:13 PM

rwproctor
New Hire

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  3:30:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ships Inventory

Artitec Coastal is 23" long
Sylvan Lakes class freighter 36" long
Open Barge with Cabin, Mast, and Boom Kit 10"
Lindberg North Atlantic Fishing Trawler 17"
Revell Flower Class corvette 34"
Walthers Tug 13"
Walthers Carfloat 39"
Deans Marine City Of Ely 55" (largest)
Sheepscott barge 10"
Several covered barges 8-10"
I also have 2-4 other vessels, just cant find them right now.

Dave: your right, I have nothing over the 55", and I only have one of that piece. Possibly shrinking pier 8 and 9 since the boats there wont be that large. But that can be done during construction, after mockups occur.

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  4:08:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I intend to build the "Langell Boys" from Sylvan for my port on the North Coast Railroad. Have been very tempted by the 36" Laker, but the lumber hooker is considerably shorter.

Please make sure you do some write ups as you build the fleet. Admittedly, I'm not sure what section of the forum they belong in though.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 03/12/2017 4:10:49 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  4:09:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob C., IMO that yard will work better. Crossovers of each handedness at 'Crossover Added' would give more flexibility. But as
a habitual handlayer, my cost vs. flexibility tradeoffs might not apply.

It's easy to change the number of storage tracks that are double-ended, I suggested it only if more track capacity was needed. But
your revised left-end lead adds 6-8 cars capacity regardless.

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  4:42:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jbvb: I couldn't visualize your yard suggestions earlier or understand how Rob would make the caboose track work, but now I understand. Very nice work, both of you. Bob.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  5:14:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi James,

I agree, the suggestions you made certainly will make the yard more efficient, that was never an issue. It is just my OCD kicking in with how the tracks are laid out. I will work on it until I am happy with their placement, but I will still include your suggestions. I was also wondering if there should have been an additional cross over between the yard lead and main, and I will probably add that as well as "optional." Rob can make the final decision whether to include it or not.

Take care,
Rob.

Edited by - robchant on 03/12/2017 5:19:04 PM

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  7:27:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rob & James,

I played around with the yard a bit more and was able to add another short yard track that I am calling the caboose track. It is double ended and accessible from both ends of the yard which I think is a good bonus. I also added a few more tracks to the engine terminal and a bigger area for diesel fueling. I also added the cross over in the south-west corner tracks, and added the B&O staging over the work bench. Rob, you mentioned about moving the piggy back ramp closer to Hanover Street, where do you see it fitting?

Latest Version:

Take care,
Rob.

Page: of 21 Topic Next Topic: Lehigh Northern Designed for Ops and Expanded  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000