Railroad Line Forums - Free Design Help
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 70 ]  [ Total: 73 ]  [ Newest Member: tillerman1 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Free Design Help
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: shelf layout composition Topic Next Topic: Wednesday Night Ops on the CL&W
Page: of 19

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  8:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of improvements...

Thanks for all the ideas!

PS I just replaced this drawing with all the changes. Note the time stamp.

-- Rich

Edited by - RichBeau on 01/18/2017 11:08:25 AM

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  11:18:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In answer, YES, your last post on the previous page was what I had in mind.

What I see directly above this post is even better. giving another reason the have the runaround in the first place.
Very positive changes noted.
Time now to consider what industries are those sidings serving? I'm simply keeping in mind they would not be there without purpose on a prototype.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 01/18/2017 08:59:25 AM

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 01/18/2017 :  11:14:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Note, I just replaced the previous drawing with the latest changes.

I moved the engine house/car barn sidings to the yard. This might be a problem safely reaching the yard throat turnout. I'm thinking of putting a BullFrog control there. It will be a good test to see if I like them.

Moving the engine/car sidings to the yard opens up the right side of the industry area. IOW I eliminated a siding and got more space for industries.

After looking at this I went back into the industry area and decided to change the sidings on the opposite end to get a bit more room along the front.

I moved the yard tracks so they are 2-1/2" from the two edges. This move gives me at least 5-1/2" clearance from the back. Plenty of space for a long backdrop scene.

Someone pointed out, there's not enough room on the tail track to fit an engine and car. I fixed that even though it will shorten the sidings slightly.

Since I've retired a few years ago there's probably a move in my future so I've been thinking of this as a sectional layout where I could use the parts in a larger room. I need to revisit engine/car sidings and structure in order to move the turnout off the seam. Also, moving the big turn causes it to start in the industry area. A drawback I'll live with when I move.

Once I finish building the 18" deep sections I'll plot the layout full size and make changes on the fly.

I don't want to over plan, as long as I have room I'll figure out industries as I go. I've got some general ideas, warehouse, apple processing (juice, cider, sauce, slices, jam, butter), creamery/dairy processing (milk, butter, buttermilk, cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese etc), bakery, lumber yard, freight house & RIP track. Most everything will be scratch-built which should keep me busy for a long while (the yard backdrop just adds to the fun).

Finally here's a pic of a 2'x4' section.

-- Rich

Edited by - RichBeau on 01/18/2017 11:21:17 AM

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/18/2017 :  12:03:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich: On the original modules at the top, there appears to be S curves on both of the lower industrial tracks. On one side appears to be a wye turnout and the other side a curved turnout, which might be aggravating the situation. Bob.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

cajon
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/18/2017 :  2:58:11 PM  Show Profile  Send cajon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Did this revision on Picasa so not w/ a CAD program. Figure the S curves were a function of your CAD program so you can lay the tracks down any way you want if you use flextrack vs sectional (snap track). If you do end up w/ S curves you're going to be switching at slow speeds any way i.e not rocket speeds. >)
Added one more yard spur & moved mainline to left. It could also be used for a staging track/cassette. They are portable tracks to hold cars that could be put on/taken off the layout. If you're like most of us you'll end up w/ more cars than your layout can hold. >) The cassettes can be put on shelves under the layout or anywhere else that works for you.

Download Attachment: RichBeau Switching Layout Rev.JPG
124.54 KB

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
LAJ/ATSF Modeler

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 01/18/2017 :  4:09:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Bob Yeah, you caught me. I've got those two (wye & #7 curved) in the closet along with a bunch of #5 turnouts and some flex track. Thought I might try saving a few dollars so I could spend it on something else.

-- Rich

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 01/18/2017 :  4:30:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Andy I've got an old 2d program that I built all of the turnouts and such as 'symbols.' I'm too lazy to learn the new stuff.

You picked up on all that empty space in the corner. I've been leaving that for a scenery break or transition zone. Hopefully it will create a bit of 'going somewhere.' As I mentioned in the previous post that 5-1/2" space on the left is "plenty of space for a long backdrop scene." One of my favorite parts of this hobby is the constructing the buildings and accompanying vignettes. So I'm headed in a slightly different direction.

What intrigues me though is that crossing.

-- Rich

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/18/2017 :  6:34:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich: Try using the curved turnout at the start of your yard ladder. You should be able to get more length in the yard tracks by starting the ladder in the curve. Bob.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 01/19/2017 :  08:23:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Bob I tried putting a curved turnout at the start of the yard ladder earlier and did not find I gained that much. So I decided to forego that idea.

-- Rich

Edited by - RichBeau on 01/19/2017 08:25:13 AM

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  07:54:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rich,

I am back to doing design work as of this morning. Do you still need help with this plan, or are you happy with all the excellent input you already received?

Take care,
Rob.

Rob Chant
Glace Bay, NS
CANADA

TREAD: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42599

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  3:02:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jeff,

Here is the first draft of the plan promised many, many weeks ago. I think the plan includes everything on your wish list:

-- A scenic layout depicting New England,
-- Continuous run,
-- Some switching possibilities,
-- Hilly terrain with trestle,
-- Two towns,
-- Water area where you can place a few waterfront structures and boats,
-- A small yard and turntable.

Here's the design:

Let me know what changes you want to see, and thanks again for your patience.

Take care,
Rob.

Rob Chant
Glace Bay, NS
CANADA

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  3:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes please, Rob

I have been playing around with the last version. I printed it out full size and placed it on the layout area. First thing I noticed, too much track and not enough space (I like creating scratched buildings). Second, much of the trackage is parallel to the layout sides which made it too rectilinear.

With that in mind I removed some sidings from the yard and a couple from the town. I may add in the siding for the engine house/car barn (you can see it in the drawing below). Lastly, I came up with an appropriate curved passing siding in the town area. I'm thinking just a few sidings with 2-3 spots each.

Dash lines are kind of what I'm thinking for sidings but I really haven't laid them out accurately.

TIA

-- Rich

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  3:33:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John,

Here is the first draft of your 10' x 12' switching plan. I think it includes everything on your wish list:

-- Space available is 12'x10' L-shaped shelf in a corner, 12' wall along top and 10' on right, 2' wide,
-- A switching layout that will give you a nice relaxing hour or more to switch,
-- Layout feed from a 5' long cassette at the end of the 10' wall,
-- Mid-60s era mid-west Milwaukee Road,
-- 18" min radius (I used 22" minimum), #5 turnouts.

I didn't specify any particular industries, but instead numbered the spots at generic structures. If you tell me more about the type of industries you want the line to serve and locations on the layout, I will include what I can.

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

Rob Chant
Glace Bay, NS
CANADA

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  5:36:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rich,

I decided to give you some food for thought and went with a design that I would consider if I was the owner of your space. What bothered me most about your designs to date was that you had very limited space, but I felt that you weren't taking full advantage of what you had available. You also seemed frustrated with the limited space left for structures, and I also sensed that you would like some room for some scenery elements.

What I really like about modern design practices is that a layout is more believable because it is designed as close to prototypical design practices as possible. Therefore, the mainline is linear and the industrial spurs should (for the most part) be parallel to the main. It is also important that track work be kept simple and as straight forward as possible, so the design feels like a real railway.

With more prototypical design practices in mind, I redesigned the layout using the entire space. It makes it more of a switching district on a mainline, than an industrial park. Although placed differently in the space, I tried to incorporate all the elements in your initial design, while giving you enough room for structures, and I was also able to add a few other features to the plan.

I feel the resulting plan gives you the room you need for structures, some places for scenery, and it should also offer enough switching to keep you busy for about an hour or so.

Here's the design:

Your thoughts on the design?

Take care,
Rob.

Rob Chant
Glace Bay, NS
CANADA

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  7:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well... it looks nice but... it's just not my cuppa as they say.

You've definitely got the size correct. Let me do more of a what-I-like-list.

Small railroads and branch lines
Transition era, though primarily smaller diesel prime movers (I have EMD S2 & Alco RS-3 plus a couple of small steam pieces)
40' 1932 & 1937 ARA boxcars with the occasional 50' early PS-1

Single track main lines
Hand thrown switches (Caboose or Bullfrogs)
Smaller, mostly wood foreground structures (2-3 stories tall)
Somewhat larger background buildings (3-5 stories tall)

As a B&M brat so I'm a NE England RR kind of guy (B&A, BAR, & B&M, VC etc)
I do love George Selios' F&SM and Dick Elwell's Hoosac Valley Lines.
But I am a fan of Lance Mindheim's scenery and structure zoning.

I like Peco code 83 track though I'll use code 70 for worn out areas.
Mostly I'd prefer 20" minimum radius curves
I like to use #6 switches, with the occasional curved switch, for the main and #5's for the sidings (though I will throw in a #4 Wye).

I'm retired and we're planning to move in the next few years so I'm hoping to use at least part of these sections for a future layout. Keeping turnouts off the seams is a priority. Once the track is down and powered up I figure it could take me 2-3 years to get the level of detail completed enough to say it's done (yeah right).

I do like what you did for John with the previous layout. Maybe I should just go with cassettes (or a car ferry?). The upper far right has 4' of room to hang something.

For free advice I hope I'm not being a pita (I'm betting I'm getting there for sure).
I definitely appreciate your point of view.
Thanks for your help

-- Rich

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: shelf layout composition Topic Next Topic: Wednesday Night Ops on the CL&W  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000