Railroad Line Forums - Free Design Help
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 96 ]  [ Total: 98 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Free Design Help
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: shelf layout composition Topic Next Topic: Modular Traction Layout
Page: of 19

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  9:39:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in need of ideas so I'm going to submit this for your consideration.

My current HO layout is a slightly modified Linda Sand design. It is basically the two 2'x8' sections at the top of the drawing below. I use cassettes/extensions to allow engine and car movement.

The yard I'd like to add is on the left, but it has no run-around nor lead. In this storage/staging design I'd use a 45-tonner in the yard, park it on the short tail track, then I can release the inbound road switcher. Reaching across 18" of the yard seems 'fraught' to me as I'd like to keep handling of freight cars to a minimum.

I'm definitely open to suggestions.

The two sections on the left are each 18" wide by 48" long (8' total).
There's a 6" space between the original sections and the yard sections.
Anything to the left of the dash line is far game within the size constraints.

The connecting track from the existing layout to the yard section is 15" from the front.
Track is Peco code 83 with #5 turnouts.
Radii are 20" though the large turn is 18"r (I can scenically hide it).
Minimum of 2-1/4" between yard tracks
All turnouts should be accessible from the front with a 'barbecue skewer'.

--Rich

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  09:31:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An 18" reach isn't at all 'fraught' if track height is 10-12" below the operators' shoulder height. The higher the track, the harder to reach over.

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  1:51:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@jbvb Having recently visited your somewhat space challenged layout I can appreciate your viewpoint.

My track height is at ~50". At my height (5'-10") that makes my shoulder 7"-9" higher. For many folks it's not too a long reach, even me, but much of my rolling stock have fine details so I like to keep any moving or touching to a minimum. Hence my 'fraught-ness.'

--Rich

Edited by - RichBeau on 01/14/2017 1:53:45 PM

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/15/2017 :  9:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rich: It would be helpful if you could tells us more about your goals. For instance is the "yard" simply going to be staging or is it an element of the layout that you will operate? There are different types of yards, e.g., classification, junctions, storage, arrival-departure. Some yard operations don't involve breaking up and making trains.

As you have it the ladder is conveniently positioned for manual operation of the turnouts.

On aspect to think about is: Do you want a way to turn engines without handling them?

Bob.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

Edited by - rca2 on 01/15/2017 10:27:19 PM

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  07:28:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rca2

Hi Rich: It would be helpful if you could tells us more about your goals. For instance is the "yard" simply going to be staging or is it an element of the layout that you will operate? There are different types of yards, e.g., classification, junctions, storage, arrival-departure. Some yard operations don't involve breaking up and making trains.

Good question...

Though I'll use it for some making and breaking small trains, primarily it will be for staging and storage. Because I like to keep the handling of rolling stock and motive power to a minimum you could say 'yes' there will be some operation of the yard.

I consider the longest track to be the lead, I'm thinking I just may have to put a couple of turnouts there with some sort of manual control (blue point or bull frog) at the front.
quote:
One aspect to think about is: Do you want a way to turn engines without handling them?

Currently I use an Alco-S2 so it's not necessary turn engine(s) but I need a way of 'escaping' the lead. As I said previously I could always get a 45-tonner to pull cars off the lead track to allow the S2 out.

--Rich

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  07:50:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've made a couple of changes...

The right end is near the entrance to the room and my wife suggested that I might want a bit more room to enter.
I eliminated the 6" connector on the left between the new section and the old. Lastly I bent the last yard track to get a bit more length.

I'll be getting the basic parts to create the two new 2'x8' sections today.

--Rich

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  3:07:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not much room for structures or scenery on that layout. Also, will there be enough space on the right tail from the passing siding to fit at least the longest loco AND car?

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  6:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right Dave. The two 2x8 sections already have the track down but as I stated earlier I use cassettes/extensions to allow engine and car movement. Still I am thinking of moving that turnout to allow a 50' car and the S2 to get out of that end. As far as scenery, there's plenty of room for backdrop structures (at least 2" deep plus loading docks). I also have a car barn and engine house planned for the lower right. The siding just behind is the team track. The top-left front siding has a E.L. Moore based lumber yard in the plan.

My main concern is the yard... it's kind of weak.

--Rich

Edited by - RichBeau on 01/16/2017 6:49:32 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  7:10:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich,

I find it confusing that you say that you have two 2' X 8' sections at the top, but the proportions aren't right. Is it two 2' X 4' sections? Am I misunderstanding you?

I think your yard makes sense if you are going to have two locomotives. You're saving a lot of space that way. Otherwise you would have to allocate a track for trains arriving and a second track for the locomotive to escape.

Your yard is simple enough that you might want to build it and see if it does what you want.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 01/16/2017 7:14:56 PM

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  7:16:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

For anyone thinking that I am ignoring posts on this thread, please read my update posted on Jan 9, 2017. I will not be doing any design work for a while yet. However, I can see a lot of others are stepping up to help, so thanks you all.

Take care,
Rob.

Free Layout Design Help / Some Design Ideas (All Scales)

David J Buchholz
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  8:01:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth, I'd consider a run around track in the yard at the left, closest to the isle edge of the table.Simply by shortening the length of the fingers, you could install a second switch could be added at the throat coming out of the curve. It would simply parallel the angled track that has all the finger switches in it.It would add to operations

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  9:21:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn
I find it confusing that you say that you have two 2' X 8' sections at the top, but the proportions aren't right. Is it two 2' X 4' sections? Am I misunderstanding you?

Oops... it will be four 2'x4'. grrr
The industry area consists of two 2'x4' sections. The yard is built on two 18"x4' sections.

--Rich

Edited by - RichBeau on 01/18/2017 06:50:58 AM

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  9:42:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David J Buchholz

For what it's worth, I'd consider a run around track in the yard at the left, closest to the isle edge of the table.Simply by shortening the length of the fingers, you could install a second switch could be added at the throat coming out of the curve. It would simply parallel the angled track that has all the finger switches in it.It would add to operations

Are you saying this?

Hmmmm..??

--Rich

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  10:23:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had read your earlier post, Mr. Chant. Wishing you and yours the best.

Rich, I think you've drawn what David had in mind. This also lets you add one or more turnouts to the new runaround track to make storage for cars/engines that aren't needed at any given time.

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  12:23:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich: I would consider using a curved turnout to start the runaround track sooner, preserving more of the length in the stub tracks. Bob.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: shelf layout composition Topic Next Topic: Modular Traction Layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000