Railroad Line Forums - Free Design Help
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 92 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: Davidsamuels ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Layout Design / Operation Sig Forum
 Free Design Help
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: shelf layout composition Topic Next Topic: Wednesday Night Ops on the CL&W
Page: of 19

cajon
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/20/2016 :  2:32:00 PM  Show Profile  Send cajon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Any bridge on a real RR is VERY expensive so RRs would avoid them at all cost. Put the river outside the track.
Why does this MR need double track. Is it just DC?
Put the yard lead off the siding on blue track so trains can be made up using it.
If you keep double track put Xovers on either side of it so trains can go directly to outside track vs going all the way around the layout to do same.

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
LAJ/ATSF Modeler

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/20/2016 :  2:44:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Andy,

There's no river in the railroad, one bridge spans an open pit mine, the other crosses the lead to the engine house. The double track is there because Dave wants his 4-year old son to be able to operate trains in one loop, while he operates on the inner loop between the mine and the plant. There are only a few crossovers included because Dave wants to avoid collisions while his son is operating a train. The layout is really just for the enjoyment of the son with limited operation for him.

Take care,
Rob.

Rob Chant
Glace Bay, NS
CANADA

TREAD: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42599

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2016 :  3:36:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob,
The benchwork is up. I know that is not the preferred method but I needed to see what I could fit in the room and still make it viable. The only area that is right up against the wall is along the back of C, the 14' 7" long length of benchwork, the rest is off the walls. I wanted to make sure I had access without any access hatches. The minimum radius would be 20".
Thanks,
Jeff

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/20/2016 :  5:42:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Compton

Rob,
The benchwork is up. I know that is not the preferred method...

Surprise...fixing the footprint first IS the preferred method.

Otherwise you get people like me that keep changing everything including which room is used.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

railbuilderdhd
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/20/2016 :  7:31:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robchant

What elevations are you using? The reversing connection you made will be steep since the upper track is elevated to gain height to cross over the engine house tracks.

Rob,

I will work on that as I did see that as a possible issue as well. I will also have 1" foam on benchtop for extra space I can have the lower tracks drop so if needed I can work that into the elevation changes so I can clear the area needed. I can also move that connection track over to the left more if needed. I'm starting the elevations now and will keep you posted.

Dave

railbuilderdhd
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/20/2016 :  7:50:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

What elevations are you using? The reversing connection you made will be steep since the upper track is elevated to gain height to cross over the engine house tracks.

Well, I just worked on it and seems the best I can get in that area would be a 4% grade. Not sure I will be ok with that.

For the yard coming out of the curve I'm not doing that. I've extended the yard to the bottom right and will be able to store care there. now the yard on top left will not be there.

Dave

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/20/2016 :  8:06:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave,

Don't forget that I cut that top left corner to get the rails away from the edge of the benchwork, so remember to leave some room between your track and the layout's edges. You also seemed to go back closer to the north wall as well.

Take care,
Rob.

Rob Chant
Glace Bay, NS
CANADA

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/20/2016 :  8:10:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Compton

Rob,
The benchwork is up. I know that is not the preferred method but I needed to see what I could fit in the room and still make it viable. The only area that is right up against the wall is along the back of C, the 14' 7" long length of benchwork, the rest is off the walls. I wanted to make sure I had access without any access hatches. The minimum radius would be 20".
Thanks,
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Ok, I was worried that you had access problems when I saw how wide the benchwork is.
I will start working out a design. Do you want a layout with the track only going thru a scene once (more a operator's layout)? Or do you want a mainline that climbs and crosses itself (more of a scenic layout)?

Take care,
Rob.

Rob Chant
Glace Bay, NS
CANADA

railbuilderdhd
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/20/2016 :  8:45:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi Dave,

Don't forget that I cut that top left corner to get the rails away from the edge of the benchwork, so remember to leave some room between your track and the layout's edges. You also seemed to go back closer to the north wall as well.

Take care,
Rob.

Rob

I do know about the space on the left side and top (north) being close. The leftt side will be under a mountain so I have no issue with it being cut on that top left corner. I will keep an eye on the top wall and being to close.
Seems the reverse entrance to the engine facilities may not work because the grade is too much. You do know your stuff! I guess after doing so many and looking at them so much you can see these things.
I do really appreciate your help and hope I can one day return the good will.
Dave

thx712517
New Hire

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  10:19:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello there,

I registered to post just in this thread! I would love any help you could provide in designing a switching layout for me that has more operational value.

My current layout is an HO scale brewery based on the Inglenook Sidings track plan. The setting (in my mind, since there's no scenery yet) is 1970s-1980s Conrail in upstate New York near Utica. I have one locomotive and six 50' freight cars, and the way I operate is to shuffle a small deck of car cards I made and assemble a four car train to go off-layout. I will also shift cars around in sequence on their spurs to get loaded/unloaded cars where they need to be.

My current table is 92" in length and 18" in depth and rests against a wall. However I can make a new table if it means a better track plan, up to 108" by 36" but it would be free-standing. Motive power is a Conrail B23-7, DC, and the six 50' long freight cars so although I currently use #4 turnouts, they're giving me a lot of trouble and I'd love to upgrade to #6 turnouts. I tried flex track once but it was a disaster, so Kato Unitrack is preferred. Buildings are a brew house without direct rail connection, a loading dock, a grain silo, and a station that I use as an office. I'd love to keep the brewery theme.

[/URL]

Edited by - thx712517 on 11/21/2016 10:56:57 AM

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  12:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob,
Even though I would want some switching possibilities in the towns, I believe more of a scenic layout might be best.
Jeff

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  3:03:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello thx712517, (if that's in fact your real name)

Give me a little bit to get use to using Kato Unitrack, since I have never designed anything using it before. I am sure that I can come up with something. So what is your impression of operating on the Inglenook design? How long does an operation session last, and how long would you like one to last? Are you buying more cars? Or staying with just the 6 you have?

Take care,
Rob.

Rob Chant
Glace Bay, NS
CANADA

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  3:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jeff,

Ok, thanks for the info. I will see what I can do.

Take care,
Rob.

Rob Chant
Glace Bay, NS
CANADA

thx712517
New Hire

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  5:51:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Real name is Kevin, but over time I've found it easy on my brain to use the same log-in for everywhere.

A session on my current layout takes about 16 minutes to assemble a randomly selected train of four cars in the order the cards are laid down. I run my locomotive just above stall speed rather than zipping around which helps stretch things out. I enjoy the experience since it makes me think about where to put cars and what order to do things in.

I've been operating under the premise that my locomotive is working a local freight. At one point it leaves the main to amble down the line toward the brewery. It switches empties and loads when needed, and picks out the empty cars and the loaded reefers to haul out and be added to the local and forwarded to the next yard.

I enjoy it. Not so artificially challenging that it would be a bear to operate, but not so simple that it has no entertainment value.

An operating session that lasts 15 to 30 minutes would be great. I settled on six cars for the current layout based on what siding lengths I could work with on the existing table with my existing track pieces (old Bachmann EZ Track that has seen better days). In a previous incarnation on the floor I ran eight cars and an SW1500 (that has unfortunately suffered mechanical failure since then). With the extra two cars it definitely upped the complexity and added on another ten or so minutes of work. If this layout could fit up to eight cars that would be great.

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  7:36:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kevin,

Here's a 1st draft of a switching layout for your space. It uses #6, and is certainly a lot more advanced than an Inglenook layout. You will need to give me the dimensions of your current structures to make sure everything fits since space it tight.

If you decide to use this, I definitely wouldn't be planning to switch every car spot during every op session. Doing that will bring more randomness and make each session different. I would probably stick with 8 or less cars, and with the moved required to reach some track, it should take you 30-45 minutes to finish.

Here's the design:

Take care,
Rob.

Rob Chant
Glace Bay, NS
CANADA

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: shelf layout composition Topic Next Topic: Wednesday Night Ops on the CL&W  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000