Railroad Line Forums - HO Standard Gauge Car Works
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 230 ]  [ Total: 235 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 HO Standard Gauge Car Works
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Sideline project Topic Next Topic: Cricut Cut Boxcar
Page: of 2

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2013 :  8:52:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greetings All,

While I tend to dabble in N and O scale standard gauge, I seem to always find my way back to HO for those kitbashing and scratchbuilding urges we all suffer from time to time. I'm starting this thread to show off some of my latest standard gauge builds; kits, scratchbuilds, bashes or whatever, just a record to keep myself motivated and maybe entertain some like minded modellers at the same time...

This is a 30 foot flat I built up from a kit, the manufacturer I can not remember. It was just a bag of sticks and an exploded view drawing. I modified it somewhat by adjusting the dimensions with some extra strip wood and added the usual detail parts. I don't think this will stay a flatcar forever, I'm envisioning a MOW car of some sort...

And a little bobber I started, built over a single logging disconnect, again of unknown manufacture. I added some brake detail and used 28" wheelsets insted of the 33" ones that the kit included. It seemed a bit oversized to me (I actually bought the kit intending to convert them to On30 disconnects), but looks good with the Bachmann Shay:

I have another disconnect that I'm thinking of converting into a little backwoods snowplow.

I'll post progress as I make it, meaning, more EVENTUALLY!

-Cody

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 10/03/2013 :  12:07:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A little progress made on my backwoods bobber. I added four NBW castings to the end beams and a brake wheel on the side (like on the Kaydee logging caboose). I also got started with some running boards on the ends, I just used brass strip bent to L shape and some leftover self adhesive stripwood from some kit I never finished. I reinforced the 'self adhesive' with a drop of krazy-glue. I have to make the one on the other end next.

-Cody

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/03/2013 :  07:11:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice work on a unique car. You aren't going to have crews sleeping on the job with that short wheelbase, for sure.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/03/2013 :  07:52:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting little caboose, Cody. I like those running boards you've added.

George

Fly Army

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 10/03/2013 :  7:42:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Gents,

I finished the running board on the other side last night, next I think I'll add an air-line and hoses which will finish off the underframe. Then I get to add a roof, grabs, cut levers, and whatever else I have around. I've spent years buying detail parts and then not using them, it's nice to finally put them to use.

-Cody

centercab
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/04/2013 :  4:21:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good work, Cody. Isn't that bobber frame one of Wiseman's? He offers something similar.

-------------------------
Chuck

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 10/04/2013 :  7:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chuck, I don't think it was Wiseman, I bought it out of a bargain bin for a couple bucks. It did have a name one it but I promptly lost it. The original kit came with link and pin couplers, which is pretty cool.

-Cody

john holt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  10:32:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cody...The caboose looks great. For some reason I'm a sucker for a neat looking or different type of caboose and just about any 0-6-0 loco will get my attention. Where did the side door casting come from? ....John

GULF COAST & WESTERN

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  10:10:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi John,

Sorry I missed your question! I believe that door is Grandt Line, I got it in a grab bag of odds & ends at my local hobby shop.

-Cody

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 10/20/2013 :  6:00:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neat little projects. The Flatcar looks like it might be a Juneco kit, but I'm sure there are many like it. The Bobber is also a neat project, something that I've wanted to build myself for awhile.

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 10/21/2013 :  12:16:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Glen!

It's not a Juneco kit (I've got a couple of those in the stash), It came in a bag with handwritten instructions, I wish I'd kept them...

The bobber has had some grad irons and a roof added, it's almost ready for some paint. I'll post some pictures soon.

-Cody

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  1:35:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greetings Folks,

A bit of progress made on my standard gauge bobber:

This is my first attempt at painting with an airbrush and I found it fairly simple, but will definitely require more practice. I like the controllability you have around small detail and moving parts. I also tried 'pre-shading' on the superstructure but think I obliterated the effect with a too heavy red coat...

More soon,

-Cody

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  9:31:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's "model airbrushing", which I manage fairly well. Then there's airbrush art, which I know can be done but don't really have any idea about, other than a few weathering techniques. That's a pretty credible first attempt.

halrey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  10:21:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cody, it looks good!!!
The airbrush is a wonderful thing, I just hate cleaning them...
Hal

Ross74H
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  06:28:24 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Ross74H's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow that's an amazing looking little bobber, not seen many of them being modeled.

I'm another person that has a thing for cabooses, don't know why! That I really like, ever considered doing a tiny bogie caboose?

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 08/21/2016 :  1:39:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmm... It seems I didn't take a finished builders photo of the bobber caboose before I handed it over to a buddy for his logging line. Drat!

Anyhow, I have made some progress on the snowplow being built on the other disconnect:

The woodworking is done, just a matter of adding the details, and a bit more painting and weathering. I wish I'd held on to the bobber for a while so I could get a shot of them posed together (perhaps with a GE 23ton Boxcab providing power...)

There's not much else on the standard gauge table at the moment, but I'm sure I can find something to build eventually!

Stay tuned!

-Cody

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Sideline project Topic Next Topic: Cricut Cut Boxcar  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000