Railroad Line Forums - The unofficial BVM Gun Car Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 242 ]  [ Total: 243 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The unofficial BVM Gun Car Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Texas Topic Next Topic: My WW1 2021 So Many Choices” Challenge Thread
Page: of 10

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  08:57:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

thtroll
Crew Chief

Supporting Member

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  09:39:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit thtroll's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great build. A pair of long stakes on either side of the gon would be a good idea. These would be used to limit the arc of fire. Gunners have a tendency to get tunnel vision in combat. That's why junior officers carried riding crops, to 'wake' up their gunners. Just kidding of course. I used mine to beat my driver, my gunner/ observer was top notch.

Cheers, Heath.

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  11:06:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice , fun project. Great modeling.
Mike M

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  1:15:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments everyone, Already have an idea for a second gondola, just need to find the appropriate fire power, stay tuned.........

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

thtroll
Crew Chief

Supporting Member

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  01:02:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit thtroll's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How about a 57mm AT gun? Gaso.Line in France (GAS50191)produces one. There is one at Track48: http://www.track48.com/shop/product.php?productid=1450&cat=100&page=1

OR

A Bofors 40mm AA from Gaso.Line (GAS50166)... http://www.track48.com/shop/product.php?productid=1569&cat=100&page=1

Cheers, Heath.

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  09:09:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Heath,
Thanks for the link on Track48, I was not familiar with site. I have found some great stuff, not necessarily for Gun Car.

Such as http://www.track48.com/shop/product.php?productid=1512&cat=94&page=1

Les

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  09:45:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link Heath, while those guns are too modern for my use, there is some great stuff on their website and it's Canadian too, a bonus for me. Les thanks for the link to the truck, might have to get a couple of those, while a little too modern for 1929, they could fit the era I'm modelling.

Just waiting for the gondola kits to continue this build.

Ron Newby
General Manager

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  8:48:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I am not sure of the vintage of these guns, but if you can use the guns or the mounts, then you have a truck to use... http://www.track48.com/shop/product.php?productid=1000&cat=0&page=1

Les

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  10:36:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Les,
Those are the guns I am using. They are Russian knock offs of the maxim gun and would work any time after 1900.

thtroll
Crew Chief

Supporting Member

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  11:33:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit thtroll's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I believe that is a quad mounted Maxim MG, probably the 1908 variant. There are several MG's that are similar. Vickers produced a .303 cal in 1912, there is a Russian variant produced in 1910. Actually Vickers was a primary investor of Maxim, and took over the company in the 1890s, I believe. The Maxim MG revolutionized rapid fire weapons, and WWI made it famous. I think the Vickers MG remained in service into the 50's. My father was a cpl with the Canadian Fusiliers (City of London Regt)(MG) and trained on the Vickers. The Regt was reorg'd into the 3rd Bat. Royal Canadian Regt (Reserve) in '58 and later the 4th Bat. RCR (Reserve).

The M2 (1919) .50 cal Heavy MG or the Browning M1919 .30 cal GPMG would also be appropriate for your time frame.

The 20mm Oerlikon was first developed in the 20's. It is a pretty looking gun ... from the back of course.

Just a few thoughts, after a couple of beve's.

p.s. I hit post before I was done, hence the edit.

Oh ya, I have ordered several kits though my hobby shop from this company. (I like to support my local shop first, before I goto on line self serve). I have had no problems.

Cheers, Heath.

Edited by - thtroll on 10/13/2013 12:14:25 AM

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 10/13/2013 :  09:31:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Cielo Vista Ry is very envious of your agents, Ron. They would like to see if you are willing to lent out such talented individuals. If they can find a rare field gun, they can pretty much do anything.

Arthur

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2013 :  10:04:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This is what I love about this group, you start out building a "fantasy" car and you get a lesson on the history of armament. Heath, thanks for the lesson, really appreciate it, this is turning out to be more fun than I thought.

Arthur, my agents got lucky.

Ron Newby
General Manager

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  10:22:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hmm ... just got back from the post office and can't remember why the heck I went there in the first place.

(That's the "official" story, so it must be true!)

Have fun!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

ironflyer
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  10:57:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's a mad mad mad mad world

That's fine, it'll make another trip kid.

Paul

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  2:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry .. I don't think you can hunt moose from a vehicle in the Yukon. Not sure about the calibers you are using.

Tom M.

Page: of 10 Previous Topic: Texas Topic Next Topic: My WW1 2021 So Many Choices” Challenge Thread  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000