Railroad Line Forums - The unofficial BVM Gun Car Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 195 ]  [ Total: 200 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The unofficial BVM Gun Car Build
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Texas Topic Next Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout
Page: of 10

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  10:03:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
A little while back Dallas posted this picture on the BVM hunkered down boxcar build thread.

A few of us thought this would be a fun car to build so here is my take on the "gun car". If anyone else wants to build a "gun car" please feel free to join in, the more the merrier.

DISCLAIMER: In no way is this associated with Boulder Valley Models, I am just using their new 18' gondola kit as a basis for this build
Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  10:23:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Now that I have the first post out of the way, time to get the show on the road.

Seeing as the 18' gondola has been announced for sale I ordered 3 of them, two will be built conventionally while the third one will be converted to a gun car.

So seeing as I'm sitting here impatiently waiting for them to arrive here I decided to see what armour would be suitable for this kit. When I get tired of building things for the railway and need a break I build 1:48 scale armour. So seeing as I have a collection of kits for those times I decided to see if I have anything suitable for this build.

Here is the first candidate, i can use one of the guns in this kit for the main gun. I don't know if this kit is still available as it has been on the shelf for quite a while.

The "proposed" main gun

I also have this accessory kit on the shelf.

This kit comes with the following guns, I figure the machine gum would make a good second gun, there are two of them in the kit so maybe I could mount one on each side of the car.

A close-up of the proposed secondary gun(s)

The accessory kit might also give me the hired guns needed to man the car.

So here is my proposed armament for the gun car. When I get a chance I'll see if I have anything else that would be suitable.

As always comments and suggestions are welcome.

Ron Newby
General Manager

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  10:31:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will play along with you Ron.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  10:40:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron,

Nice find for guns; I hit my stack of military kits and found this gem for the rear gunners.

Edited by - BigLars on 09/22/2013 10:41:59 AM

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  10:50:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I unofficially approve of this nonsense! In fact, it looks like a heckuva lotta fun.

Since you don't yet have the cars in hand ... some dimensions that may prove useful ... in case you want to mock-up to test the fit before assembling any shrouds to the main gun, etc:

Max. interior width: 5'9" (O scale measurements)
Max. interior length: 16'0"

Height of side boards is a little over 18" from top of interior deck to top edge of boards.

The "HO scale" crates from www.RustyStumps.com fit rather nicely. Looks like there are a few ammo crates in the front of that prototype ...

Really looking forward to this! I've been wanting to see that thing built since first stumbling across that photo ... it just seems to capture the "outlaw" spirit of On30 modeling.

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  8:57:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool, Ron. I'll cover you! (Just kidding). Watching with interest. The banditos on my copper mining road are getting more bold, and there have been a few robbery attempts when the payroll comes in. This would hold them off!

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  9:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, now you guys have my attention. Interesting project, it has the "Unofficial Seal of Approval" and the "Outlaw On30 Modeling" stamp, so you apparently have all of the necessary permits, but I still have a question.

Where are these narrow gauge railroads obtaining their Russian ordnance? The world wonders!!

Pete
ducking for cover
in Michigan

ironflyer
Fireman

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  10:07:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the car ahead of the Gundola the ex bay window caboose with the waist guns?

That's fine, it'll make another trip kid.

Paul

jcoop
Fireman

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  10:43:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ironflyer

Is the car ahead of the Gundola the ex bay window caboose with the waist guns?

Nice play on words there.

Sitting along side the orignal Central Pacific Rail Road.

Home of The Great On30 Barn Meet, that will be held May 16th 2015

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  11:12:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

Where are these narrow gauge railroads obtaining their Russian ordnance? The world wonders!!

Pete
ducking for cover
in Michigan

Top secret stuff, the Maxim Guns were used by the Canadian army and the RCMP. Same gun the Russians knocked off so with Ron and my RR's in Canada we are safe with the machine guns so far. I need to find a cannon still.

Edited by - BigLars on 09/22/2013 11:17:16 PM

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  11:22:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check out the Honourable Lead Boiler Suit Company, Larry...they make all sorts of naval guns and cannon, just not sure if the scale is right for your project.

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  11:35:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Larry, glad to have you aboard, this is going to be a fun build.

Verne, I think you need to join in there, you are going to need something to keep the Bandidos at bay

Paul, like the play on words, from now on I'm going to be referring to this build as the 'gundola" build.

Pete, have Russian machine guns in hand, also have a lead on the main gun, it's being smuggled out of Germany as we speak.

John, hope you enjoy this build.

A little more progress this evening.

Taking the measurements that Dallas so graciously gave us I made a mock-up of the car. Next step will be to to put a couple of the gunners together to fee how high the main gun needs to be mounted. One I figure this out I'll be able to determine how high the sides need to be.

Ron Newby
General Manager

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  12:10:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great start, Ron. I am thinking of something from the 'gatling gun - war wagon' era, something of lower calibre and earlier technology. Wish I could join in, but my modeling time is consumed by other projects for the next month or two.

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  06:49:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good stuff - but I'll just sit this
one out, too much on my plate right now.....
I ordered two, they will be used to carry
bags of grits....;-)

vamodeler
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  09:03:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit vamodeler's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You guys might be interested in the open gon, former Shivers Finelines, now slimrails. You'll have to scroll down a bit.

Brian

http://www.slimrails.co.uk/index016.5kitspage.html

My Website: http://sites.google.com/site/deercreekandlaurelry/

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  2:19:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every time I see that proto pic, the guy in the white shirt in the back left makes me think of Jed Clampett. This has to be before he found the Black Gold.

Having fun watching this unfold.

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

Page: of 10 Previous Topic: Texas Topic Next Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000