Railroad Line Forums - Roundhouse Climax Questions
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 62 ]  [ Total: 65 ]  [ Newest Member: hardcoalcase ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 The Roundhouse
 Roundhouse Climax Questions
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Dont throw away that toothbrush! Topic Next Topic: NWSL MDC bullger
Page: of 2

Cascade Man
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/30/2013 :  12:34:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The part numbers above are drop in replacements.

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/30/2013 :  12:51:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got it.
So you used 2 separate gears. not a kit.
Thank you
Mike M

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/13/2013 :  10:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Through some serious trial and error, I managed to get my Climax wired up properly. I'm not the smartest when it comes to electricity. Anyhow, I managed to put a yellow LED headlight in. I had to do some kitbashing to get the smokestack I wanted to fit because it touched the headlight.

Then, I realized the shell doesn't fit. The reason- the wires off the headlight interfere with the flywheel. While the locomotive operates OK without it, I'd prefer to have one in there. I see three options.
1. Don't worry about it and operate it without the flywheel.
2. Cut down the flywheel and risk the advantages it provides.
3. Come up with a suitable replacement.

Does anyone have any advice in this area?

Rutland Railroad
White River Division
"The Peavine"

Geared Steam
Section Hand

Posted - 10/13/2013 :  10:37:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Flip the shell around 180 degrees the flywheel goes under the tender

EM-1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/14/2013 :  12:30:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit EM-1's Homepage  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Geared Steam is right, the shell will snap onto the frame in either direction, HOWEVER in Analog control that will "reverse" the forward motion, in DCC this can be changed by the direction CV's of your decoder.

Remove and flip the wires to the motor, put the left on the right contact and the right wire on the left contact.....Problem solved.

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/14/2013 :  12:17:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried flipping it. The wires conflict with the motor instead of the flywheel.

Rutland Railroad
White River Division
"The Peavine"

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/14/2013 :  1:19:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If there is room you can build a shield around the flywheel. Here is a pic of the shroud around the flywheel in my MDC shay. the cover is a slip fit under the angles so it can be removed.

hope this helps

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/14/2013 :  2:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If the shell is thick enough, you could scrape/grind a channel for the wires and hot glue/Goo them into it to keep them clear of flywheel, motor or whatever.

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/14/2013 :  3:47:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, I use black RTV silicone to hold wires in place as you can peel that off and release the wires if needed.

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  4:10:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny, I recently acquired a Boxcab with the same set up. The shell itself is missing many parts, so I'm debating what to do. In researching what others have done, I came upon this thread.

BTW- On the earlier project I ended up removing the flywheel. I purchased a Digitrax decoder to put in it when I'm feeling lucky.

Anyhow, what are people doing with the Roundhouse Climax/Boxcab bodies? I know there must be some cool/funky things that have been done. Perhaps a Doodlebug/work caboose combo of some sort?

Rutland Railroad
White River Division
"The Peavine"

Geared Steam
Section Hand

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  5:05:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Railrunner130

Funny, I recently acquired a Boxcab with the same set up. The shell itself is missing many parts, so I'm debating what to do. In researching what others have done, I came upon this thread.

BTW- On the earlier project I ended up removing the flywheel. I purchased a Digitrax decoder to put in it when I'm feeling lucky.

Anyhow, what are people doing with the Roundhouse Climax/Boxcab bodies? I know there must be some cool/funky things that have been done. Perhaps a Doodlebug/work caboose combo of some sort?

Boxcab is open to all kinds of possibilities, boxcab, subway, doodlebug, streetcars ,switcher etc. Improving the running capabilities by swapping a Bachmann 44 ton chassis makes these even better. I love theClimax as it is, just for memory sakes :)

Geared Steam
Section Hand

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  5:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Railrunner130

Boxcab is open to all kinds of possibilities, boxcab, subway, doodlebug, streetcars ,switcher etc. Improving the running capabilities by swapping a Bachmann 44 ton chassis makes these even better. I love theClimax as it is, just for memory sakes :)

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Dont throw away that toothbrush! Topic Next Topic: NWSL MDC bullger  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000