Railroad Line Forums - HTRR - Chapter 2
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 88 ]  [ Total: 97 ]  [ Newest Member: Csarnick ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 HTRR - Chapter 2
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: hot wire foam cutter Topic Next Topic: The grandson layout
Page: of 35

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  10:06:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A mini-update of sorts; having made contact with my modeling muse (no doubt due to the cold, snowy weather we're going through), I continue futzing around the Market Street branch, after a couple of years deciding on a final arrangement for Barrett Shingle, a fairly substantial customer. This is what it's looked like for awhile:

[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/IMG_1245.jpg.html][/URL]

As a shingle manufacturer, Barrett needs paper, aggregate, and tar, so I needed to cobble together an unloading rack for the tar using Walther's piping kit, Evergreen I beams, and other assorted nibs and nabs:

[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/A_zpsb1292997.jpg.html][/URL]

The top line is electrical conduit for the lights, the middle a steam line for heating, and the bottom for the tar:

[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/D_zps8aa78f4e.jpg.html][/URL]

A small, scratchbuilt pump house that will get increased piping to make it look busy:

[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/C_zpsf87ceb08.jpg.html][/URL]

A canopy for the unloading dock...
[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/F_zps51898e89.jpg.html][/URL]

End shot of the complex; the large concrete silo is for aggregate storage:
[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/G_zpsdc11d616.jpg.html][/URL]

And a final shot from down the street:
[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/E_zps425c4e87.jpg.html][/URL]

The last piece of the Market Street puzzle, CB&I, still eludes the "Ah Ha!" moment I've been trying for....once decided, I can then finish up the street paving and call the area "complete"....maybe.

Edited by - Harsco on 01/03/2014 10:09:17 PM

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  12:53:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote

"The top line is electrical conduit for the lights, the middle a steam line for heating, and the bottom for the tar"

Rick,

Another great industry. Is your model of the piping based on research or your prior experience in the industry?

Eric

Edited by - dlwrailfan1 on 01/04/2014 12:55:13 AM

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  06:26:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Barrett and shingles. I knew there was a connection. Outstanding work!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  10:19:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding! I do love the lines for electric, steam and tar. A fantastic detail that looks so right. You've done it again! I can't wait to see it in person.

Mark

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  10:21:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dlwrailfan1

"The top line is electrical conduit for the lights, the middle a steam line for heating, and the bottom for the tar"

Rick,

Another great industry. Is your model of the piping based on research or your prior experience in the industry?

Eric

Thanks, Eric....it's a mixture of research, opportunity, and imagineering. In it's heyday, Barrett was a fairly substantial producer of chemicals, asphalt and shingle/roofing materials. The inspiration for modeling it was partly as a customer for Commonwealth as well as Joe H's description of a Barrett facility that used to be located in South Philly. As one of the many byproducts of the coking process, tar tends to be pretty thick, gooey stuff, requiring heat in the form of steam in order to thin it enough to flow. Besides tar and aggregate, the facility receives boxcars of paper and an occasional hopper of coal for the powerhouse.

The finished products are shipped via the Barrett Capital Street warehouse (on the other side of the wall:
[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/Warehouse_zps9a570c9d.jpg.html][/URL]

Edited by - Harsco on 01/04/2014 10:22:46 AM

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/05/2014 :  5:31:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit sjconrail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great work once again Rick! Looking forward to seeing Market St. get "completed" so work can begin on the mine branch line, ,

Phil

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2014 :  10:13:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think he thinks we will forget about the Linglestown Branch extension Phil, but he's sadly mistaken!

Mark

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2014 :  01:07:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good looking industry you've got there Rick. I see the NH made an appearance. No doubt picking up finished products for an CT customer after bringing in some product?

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Edited by - nhguy on 01/07/2014 01:10:29 AM

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2014 :  7:58:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bill...that NH box would be an inbound load of kraft paper, no doubt from a mill in the Connecticut Valley.....

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2014 :  01:37:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Harsco

Thanks, Bill...that NH box would be an inbound load of kraft paper, no doubt from a mill in the Connecticut Valley.....

The Dumouchel Paper Co. in Waterbury,Ct since 1881(E. M. Hotchkiss Paper) would supply kraft Paper as would Kraft Paper CO. in Versailles, CT.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2014 :  07:32:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like sales are up, Dowe, Cheatem, and Howe will make sure I get my check!

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2014 :  09:17:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good!

Mike

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2014 :  11:04:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nhguy

quote:

The Dumouchel Paper Co. in Waterbury,Ct since 1881(E. M. Hotchkiss Paper) would supply kraft Paper as would Kraft Paper CO. in Versailles, CT.

Noted! Bill, since I am the one that makes up the waybills for Rick's layout, know that the waybills for these cars are being reprinted with that industry on them as the shipper! This could be the first RRL interchange service!

Mark

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  01:54:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

quote:
Originally posted by nhguy

quote:

Noted! Bill, since I am the one that makes up the waybills for Rick's layout, know that the waybills for these cars are being reprinted with that industry on them as the shipper! This could be the first RRL interchange service!

COOL!! Thanks Mark. The routing on my railroad world go from Kraft or Dumouchel to Hartford Yard--then sent to the PRR car float interchange Bay Ridge Yard/65th street yard, Brooklyn, NY to PRR interchange---then on from there.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  5:47:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick,

I like the details and the overall complex very much. Nice work!

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Page: of 35 Previous Topic: hot wire foam cutter Topic Next Topic: The grandson layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000