Railroad Line Forums - HTRR - Chapter 2
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 115 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: csrr70 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 HTRR - Chapter 2
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Construction of the new PRR Northern Division Topic Next Topic: treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Page: of 34

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/14/2013 :  6:35:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And he says he hasn't been doing much. HAH! I love the newly scenicked portion of Market Street.

And I would like to know what are 'Nibs and Nabs' as photographed in the 5th picture from the top. And also, how do you differentiate a Nib from a Nab?

Mark

Edited by - MarkF on 12/14/2013 6:36:55 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/14/2013 :  8:30:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Let's see: a couple of successful-looking experiments with scenery & structure construction, 3-5 sq. feet of finished scenery, three kitbashed buildings (counting McLay St. depot, which I hadn't seen before). I guess if your progress wasn't fitful, you'd have a finished layout soon and have to go help Steam & the rest of your crew finish theirs...

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 12/14/2013 :  8:49:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, Rick! I've just been reading through the past five pages of this thread. Love the patience you've shown in angling the piping in the large industry. All the scenes are looking amazing. I also love the raised roadway on the curve. This is one spectacular looking layout! Can't wait to see those long unit trains a running through these new areas!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2013 :  05:32:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good stuff! But then it always is.

Rick, I can't remember, but do you receive scrap loads anywhere on the RR? I have a couple more of this load that I am building for RPM clinic and will need to find a home for one of them. Can you use it? If not, no problem. I will find it a home or put it on Ebay.

[

Edited by - LVRALPH on 12/15/2013 05:36:28 AM

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 12/16/2013 :  9:08:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ralph, nice work on the weathering..they look great! To answer your question, I have scrap going into the Open Hearth and BOF, but those boys look way too good to be scrapped! I'd paint them silver, them ship 'em out as finished fabrications!

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 12/16/2013 :  9:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, modesty demands that I give proper credit to Jim M for that piping; he gave me a one-on-one clinic on how to layout and cut PVC tubing when he made the foundry model, re-fabricated the new piping, and even made up a cutting jig to use!

Mark: "Nibs and Nabs" are an old Vern term; they are the assorted bits, pieces, parts, chunks, trimmings, debris, scraps, scrapings, and flotsam left over from modeling that defy proper categorization and tidy storage yet cannot in good conscience be thrown away..or at least I can't. Thus, the neatly labeled drawer....also, to be more precise:

Nibs = small pieces
Nabs = bigger pieces

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2013 :  06:18:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick, I am keeping that a scrap load. I just did another based on a load in 1975 in Hoboken.

Here is the proto pic.

Here is the model. Weathering in progress.

Edited by - LVRALPH on 12/17/2013 06:38:11 AM

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2013 :  06:35:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick, if your looking for new fab, I will be disposing of this in progress piece as soon as I finish painting it and giving my clinic at the March RPM. But you would have to provide the flat.

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2013 :  06:51:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sold! One of the many items on my perpetual "To Do" list was "Make fabricated loads for Chicago Bridge and Iron".....since CB&I specialized in pressure vessels (which your model obviously is), it's dead on perfect. No problem with the flat either...I have a few HD versions waiting for something to do...

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2013 :  09:07:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick, thanks for that explanation of 'Nibs and Nabs'. Makes sense!

Ralph, I love those loads. Well done.

Mark

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2013 :  05:26:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick. Done deal.
Mark, thanks as always.

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2013 :  12:37:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like you have been busier that you lead on to be Rick. Nice work.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2013 :  12:48:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Those are some nice 'scrap' loads Ralph.

Here's one you can tackle (even though they are new).

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2013 :  9:50:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice picture, Bill...my first thought when looking at it was: "Hmmm....I think I have some of those Archer rivet decals around here somewhere!

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 12/19/2013 :  01:18:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Harsco

Nice picture, Bill...my first thought when looking at it was: "Hmmm....I think I have some of those Archer rivet decals around here somewhere!

Thanks. I like it because if you look closely you can see the wood blocking, tie downs and rigging. You will also notice the pivot point is near the middle of each car and the load basically supports itself in the middle. Those are 53 foot flat cars to give you an idea of how long this load was.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Edited by - nhguy on 12/19/2013 01:20:11 AM

Page: of 34 Previous Topic: Construction of the new PRR Northern Division Topic Next Topic: treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000