Railroad Line Forums - HTRR - Chapter 2
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 62 ]  [ Total: 65 ]  [ Newest Member: leftyfretguy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 HTRR - Chapter 2
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: HO Layout: Logging at the Turn of the 20th Century
Page: of 35

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/13/2016 :  11:38:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Harsco

Actually, no they wouldn't, one of the many reasons why I was a little reluctant to go whole hog on the concept. The only reason why the gondola in the picture even has the "HTRX" reporting marks is because it's an undecorated and very poorly running Con-Cor I bought years ago to bulk up the roster. Typically, steel mills didn't have their own dedicated gons in common carrier service, since scrap tends to come from a wide variety of sources. Inter-plant gons usually didn't have air brakes and couldn't leave the plant (for obvious reasons).

That's what I figured! So now, if memory serves me correctly, you have several of those undecorated gons. Time to warm up the airbrush paint those cars with the craft paints.

Mark

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  4:27:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Rick!

You know the gondola project is never far from my mind. So, I don't know if you saw a recent email from Tichy. So, let me share a bit of it:

"In addition we are now offering custom printed decals from your artwork. Sheets are 8.5 x 11 inches printed to within .1 inch of the edges. Sheets are full color (cmyk) plus white. If the sheet is all white ink do the artwork in black and tell us it is white, if the sheet has mixed colors pick a unique color for the white portions and we will substitute the white here. Artwork should be vector (corel or adobe illustrator are best). Either do outlines or send any special fonts along with the artwork. We will let you know if you used a font we do not have. We can also print from a high quality PDF. First sheet is $35, additional sheets are $15 at any time. At this time standard postage is included, priority mail is $5 for any size order. Turn around is normally one week."

So, naturally, I took the next step....

That's 44 cars worth of decals in HO scale.

Tick, tick, tick...

Chuck

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  4:32:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in! I can see loaded Harsco gons headed north through the Northern Division!

Mark

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  2:53:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
print off a sheet in N for us lil guys

"the sleep of a laboring man is sweet"

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  3:00:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

I was thinking about replacing some of the HO with N, but didn't know how many. If Rick decides to go forward with this, we can figure that out, then. You're not forgotten.

Chuck

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/13/2016 :  3:16:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems HARSCO Steel has been dealing with this slow economy much like the steel producers out in the western part of the state.

Hope all is well in the garden state

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/14/2016 :  09:50:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spoke with Rick recently and it sounds like he's been busy! Rick?

Mark

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 08/19/2016 :  10:32:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Busy? Nah....but the wheels have been turning.

Having entered the sedentary stage in its development, changes on the HTRR tend to be evolutionary rather than revolutionary...for example, after years of staring and musing at the unfinished Commonwealth Coke, I decided that my original arrangement wasn't working and taking a deep breath, lopped off the left side coke ovens and attempted to graft them onto the right side, thus keeping the massive look and giving me a little extra room to model a coke wharf and processing area. The result looks something like this:

[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/Update%201_zps5kotolsz.jpg.html][/URL]

If you look close, you'll notice the pusher is not on it's tracks, but instead lining up with the newly installed/grafted ovens which used to be on the other side of the tall coal bunker, which means I now need to extend the pusher track and shorten the yard tracks.

Experiencing a surge of modeling mojo, I finished up the grafting process and got everything laid out on the workbench to get all the weathering done and matched:

[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/Update%202_zpsyhf93ltk.jpg.html][/URL]

Meanwhile, the building at CC&C needed to be thinned out and better positioned; the result isn't startling or anything, but now better reflects what the plant needs versus what I think looks good. Here's photo looking toward the processing end with the powerhouse, "refinery", benzene, tar, sulfur, and ammonia processing areas :

[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/Update%206_zpsghvrarms.jpg.html][/URL]

Meanwhile, like a moth to a flame, I am unable to resist a primal urge to work from front to back and after coming across two #6 Atlas Code 100 switches buried in one of my storage boxes, came up with the idea of modeling a scale for weighing the inbound and outbound loads from Fishing Creek Prep Plant in Linglestown. After a little research, I crossed my fingers, spat, turned around three times, then laid out and cut the turnouts...which surprisingly actually came out right. A Walthers scale house in PRR colors, scratchbuilt platform, track covers,and light pole finish up the project:

[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/Update%204_zpsk1srghcl.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/Update%205_zpsk4ofmxp4.jpg.html][/URL]

In the background of the second picture is the future Penn Paper Co, a combination of Walther's Modulars and the Atlas Middlesex Manufacturing model.

Next up (hopefully this weekend)is to tackle the missing backdrop on the other side of Commonwealth, next to the basement steps..I have .060 styrene and an plan. Once that's in, everything in Commonwealth can be nailed (or more accurately, glued) down.

Edited by - Harsco on 08/19/2016 10:58:36 AM

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 08/19/2016 :  11:30:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the scale track, Rick! It really adds a lot of fun to the operations.

Chuck

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2016 :  1:45:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little here, a little there, it all adds up! Great stuff!

Mark

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2016 :  10:59:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear from you, Rick. What Chuck and Mark said!

BN_Fan
Section Hand

Posted - 08/20/2016 :  7:57:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking great Rick. I really like the scale track.

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/22/2016 :  9:55:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a lot going on inside a coke plant. A hard project for any modeler, and looks like Rick is up to the challenge. Great idea of cutting the ovens in half to getting some nice size out of the model.

Is the pusher a walthers kit? Jealous of the HO gang again. The N scale coke works are all but impossible to find.

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2016 :  10:03:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, the pusher is a scratch/bash of my own concoction that was based on Mike Rabbit's excellent drawings. And the ovens weren't cut in half; the set on the right formerly sat on the other side of the coal bunker, occupying space I wanted for a coke wharf. What I had to do is move to the other side, pry off, re-position a side to make sure it matched, then graft it into the other three.

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/25/2016 :  10:04:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well that is some great modeling on the pusher. If you ever get tired of the HO world I would like to commission Harso to build one for the USS plant on Conrails E&P.

Page: of 35 Topic Next Topic: HO Layout: Logging at the Turn of the 20th Century  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000