Railroad Line Forums - HTRR - Chapter 2
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 88 ]  [ Total: 97 ]  [ Newest Member: Dan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 HTRR - Chapter 2
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Chuck Diljaks Wyoming Valley Railroad Topic Next Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE
Page: of 34

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 03/24/2016 :  07:21:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good, Are loco's next?

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 03/24/2016 :  07:41:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff G

Perfect timing as I've been dealing with these issues as well as paint not adhering properly (that was probably due to mold release remaining on the resin castings I was painting but that's another story). One possible culprit is tip drying. If you add a couple of drops of a flow aid or retarder (Golden's, Liquitex, etc.), it should solve the problem. Of course, keeping the airbrush absolutely clean is essential. I'm also using Americana Folkart craft paint mixed 50-50 with windshield washer fluid. As for the paint, those who use the craft paints advise that it has to say "all purpose" or "multi-purpose" on the bottle. Tube-type artists acrylics evidently will gum up and clump in the bottle and I'm not brave enough to tempt fate.

Anyway, here's the kicker; I'm using the cheap single action airbrush from Harbor Freight and it hasn't failed me yet!

I didn't mention it in my posting, but the model was cleaned before priming with soap and water, then dried before applying a coat of gray, which (using the Heavy tip) went on in spits and spurts, even when the tip was dialed down. The result was marginally acceptable and convinced me to switch to the Medium for the green. Test shots proved unacceptable with the Medium...

As jbvb suggested above, it might have been because the Medium and Heavy nozzles are just too large for the application, although nozzle size was never mentioned in any video or article. I thought about using the Liquitex Flow Enhancer as you suggested but talked myself out of it thinking it wouldn't do anything more than the windshield washer fluid (again, that might be wrong thinking). Both nozzles I used prior (M and H) were thoroughly cleaned before use...

Your comment about paint quality had me examining my collection of craft paints...the Americana brand clearly states that it is "all purpose" while the Folk Art and Ceramcoat paints say they're "high quality" but don't mention all purpose.....

Looks like I'm going to be a double action airbrush guy for here on out....

Edited by - Harsco on 03/24/2016 07:50:26 AM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/24/2016 :  08:17:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've never used anything but the Fine tip on my Passche H (single action). AFAIK the 'paint consistency about like skim milk' is what Fine is intended for. It's possible that the video makers just assumed nobody else had changed tips either.

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 03/24/2016 :  09:18:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steam Nut

Looks good, Are loco's next?

Thanks, Steam....as Mark will attest, a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, before there was ever a layout, most of my modeling time (and his) was spent detailing and painting locomotives...back in the Accupaint time period when their version of Brunswick Green was the best available out there. Now that the HTRR footprint has been completely filled out, I want to get back to doing locos again...if I can figure out where I stashed them...LOL

Edited by - Harsco on 03/24/2016 09:19:37 AM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/24/2016 :  11:04:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, remember all those nights with bins of detail parts, opened books and tools spread around the table? I still have several loco's waiting for paint!

Mark

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 03/24/2016 :  12:55:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

I've never used anything but the Fine tip on my Passche H (single action). AFAIK the 'paint consistency about like skim milk' is what Fine is intended for. It's possible that the video makers just assumed nobody else had changed tips either.

James, I think you're absolutely correct....the one factor I didn't change was tip size, so lesson learned...rummaging through my stuff, I do have one and will try that to see if the problem is solved.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/26/2016 :  8:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The south Jersey gang gathered for another round of operations on the HTRR last night. After a short briefing, the crew got right to work, generating steel and making deliveries to local customers. The railroad didn't disappoint, generating the usual amount of chaos on the 'seven miles of sheer terror'!

Bob Price assumed the role of Herr Street operator this time around. It appears he is gathering bottle cars for an upcoming blast furnace tap as you can see one of the hot cards that tells the operator what car needs to be spotted in the blast furnace and where that car will go when filled.

Assisting Bob tonight over at the Maclay Street complex for Harsco is Diamond Bill. Not sure what Bill is doing here but that serious look leads me to believe Bill is a little confused about the tasks he must perform at this end of the complex!

John R. of CL&W fame is at Lucknow and looks like he is having fun as he switches the Susquehanna Aggrigate plant. We can also see a through freight approaching on the eastbound mainline.

Here is the owner and our host for the night, Mr. Harsco himself. Camera in hand, it appears he is admiring SteamNuts new toys, a trio of sound equipped Geeps sitting in Linglestown. These were assigned to the coal jobs this evening and I had the opportunity to run them. Three sound units in three engines MU'd together makes for quite an enjoyable operating experience!

Here we see Chris C., the Division Street yard operator this evening, and Joe H. who brought in a through freight. It looks like Joe is in the process of setting out the Division Street block before heading on to Enola Yard.

A little while later, things look busy in Lucknow as Joe H. is the engineer of train P-9, the empty ore drag towards Enola. Joe just made set outs at the Herr Street complex and is taking the empties back to Enola. Meanwhile, Bruce is applying the brakes on his train coming down the Linglestown Branch approaching the mainline. He will have to wait until P-9 clears the interlock before he gets clearance to proceed eastward on the mainline.

Last but not least, we find the owner himself with a throttle in hand handling a passenger local. Looks like Rick has just completed his stop at Harrisburg Station and is beginning his westbound run. Due to being short a crew member last night, Rick had the rare opportunity to operate on his own layout!

I didn't get a picture of PJ who was our dispatcher (Harris Tower) last night, or George who was on the road. He managed to escape my lens last evening!

As always, a good time had by all. I know Rick snapped a few pictures last night and hopefully he will post them as well. Thanks for a great evening Rick.

Mark

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/26/2016 :  8:55:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Thank you for capturing the HTRR ops. These really show the railroad when it comes to life.

"the sleep of a laboring man is sweet"

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/27/2016 :  07:37:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great photos of the opps session, Mark. Thanks for posting them!

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2016 :  08:07:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning..here are a few fill-in pics to Mark's post:

The missing crew members: George (left) is running P-81, the Enola to Commonwealth and return sulfur train and Mark (right) is piloting either P-71 or P-171, the revamped Division Street to Linglestown and Lucknow Local.
[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/IMG_4530_zpsw7si39ip.jpg.html][/URL]

PJ calling the shots:
[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/IMG_4534_zps9lyvreh6.jpg.html][/URL]

Steam's very excellent GP-7/9 trio putting together P-34, one of two Fishing Creek to Commonwealth to Herr Street coal/coke runs:
[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/IMG_4541_zpsnfon6a47.jpg.html][/URL]

To add a bit of panache to the evening's proceedings, Steam brought along his H-9 Consol and used it on P-130, the Market Street Local:
[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/IMG_4539_zpsbjh5p7dn.jpg.html][/URL]

RS-11 helpers moving up to push M-14, the new "live loads" Enola to Linglestown/Fishing Creek coal run. Due to the length of the train, this meet up has to take place on the layout's longest siding at Maclay Street:
[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/IMG_4545_zps94zgwhj9.jpg.html][/URL]

As Mark alluded, I got a chance to run something....here's 984, the end of the day commuter making a stop at Lucknow:
[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/IMG_4548_zpsfgqspdfz.jpg.html][/URL]

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/27/2016 :  11:18:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always good to see the Jersey contingency in action.

Rick, your layout continues to get better and better. All that futzing around is paying off. Looks great!

Dave

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 03/28/2016 :  04:45:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like another great op session Rick. Your layout is coming along nicely. It really looks good Rick. Bill

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2016 :  10:13:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to prove to myself that I actually can finish a project, here's are a few photos of the completed Argon Facility at its' location next to the Maclay Street BOF:

[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/IMG_4625_zps00b4c1ie.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/IMG_4624_zpsex8y6im1.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/IMG_4623_zpscnvhvfwl.jpg.html][/URL]

The required piping will eventually be installed when I start detailing the BOF....

Edited by - Harsco on 04/09/2016 10:17:41 AM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2016 :  11:47:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By George Mr. Harsco, you've done it again! It looks great Rick.

Mark

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2016 :  12:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice indeed!

Page: of 34 Previous Topic: Chuck Diljaks Wyoming Valley Railroad Topic Next Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000