Railroad Line Forums - HTRR - Chapter 2
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 99 ]  [ Total: 100 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 HTRR - Chapter 2
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: hot wire foam cutter Topic Next Topic: HO Layout: Logging at the Turn of the 20th Century
Page: of 35

chooch41
Fireman

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  06:30:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job. Love the RRRRRRRust on the buildings.

Brad

keystonefarm
Section Hand

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  5:07:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watching all this progress on your mill has gotten me off my butt !! I've decided to finally finish the conveyors to my blast furnaces and finish up the elctric furnace after many years !!! With those buildings off the rr for this work my mill now looks like a bomb hit it !! ------- Ken

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 07/09/2013 :  9:41:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments, guys....good luck with the project, Ken; to be perfectly truthful, my modeling mojo had been somewhat on vacation until Jim offered his foundry; seeing it installed at Capital Street has gotten me off my butt as well and I've been futzing with the propane dealer in Market Street. In keeping with HTRR tradition of never lerning from past mistakes, I'm once again working from the front edge of the layout towards the back instead of the other way around......

CBryars2
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  5:11:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit CBryars2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice new addition. Watching you do the piping really stirs the creative juices.

Thanks Cameron

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 07/17/2013 :  12:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Rick I sent you a PM. Bill

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 07/17/2013 :  8:24:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Progress on the HTRR has been slow this summer, but I keep plunking away at different things hoping to find a workable solution. Lack of pre-planning means having to shoe-horn things in (just like it happens in real life, I suppose)

After quite a bit of time futzing and fussing, I finally decided to try to finish the always-under-consideration Harrisburg Pipe and Tube facility in State Street. Here's the latest (and as usual, never completed) rendition made from Foamcore, Miniature Planet green siding, and Tichy windows and doors:

[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/DSC_0017_zps534491ad.jpg.html][/URL]

A few low level shots:

[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/DSC_0004_zps5e592f36.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/DSC_0002_zps1637d730.jpg.html][/URL]

What's left is a lot of detailing, piping, pipe bridges, etc to busy things up.

Across the aisle at Market, I've begun filling in the Hubbard Propane site with a cylinder filling building (illustration board, Micro Mark concrete block siding with Pikestuff and Tichy details), storage tanks, lots of very nicely done propane cylinders from GLX Models, and a kit bashed bulk delivery truck...here's an overall shot of the facility so far:

[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/DSC_0015_zpsf3c133a5.jpg.html][/URL]

This is the cylinder filling facility mentioned above:

[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/DSC_0016_zps3ca0ea0e.jpg.html][/URL]

And a closer view of the delivery truck as well as larger residential bulk tanks stored for future use:

[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/DSC_0007_zps722817fa.jpg.html][/URL]

What's missing is ground cover and painted track; once I'm satisfied with the look, I'll move head with an asphalt parking area and a gravel storage yard.

Edited by - Harsco on 07/17/2013 8:26:18 PM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/17/2013 :  10:59:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your 'futzing' yields awesome results Rick. Harrisburg Pipe is definitely looking good... and large! I'm long overdue for a visit to see your progress in person so I appreciate the photo updates.

Mark

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/17/2013 :  11:23:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When you get going on something, the fur flies...

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 07/18/2013 :  02:39:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Again, nice futzing Rick You did what I'm going to do with my background buildings. Mount them on foam core board and add some 3-d docks and awnings. Do I see a little static grass in there too?!?!? Nice.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

pcmatt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/23/2013 :  6:55:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick-great thread, part II. Impressive work as the layout continues to evolve. I'm actually bummed that I am on vacation and will miss the next session and the chance to see it live.

Great work!!!

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26375

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2013 :  11:49:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rick,

Someone sent me a link to a 1989 video of Weirton Steel. It is 17 minutes long showing a lot of rail action around the plant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9DwCBkd4p4&feature=em-share_video_user

Chuck

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/02/2013 :  09:51:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a great video Chuck. And what's crazy is, while watching it, I could relate to everything I saw from operating on Rick's layout! Oh yeah, there go the ingot buggies. And the hot bottle movement. Here comes the ore train. And on and on. Rick's operations duplicate most if not all of the movements you see in that video.

Mark

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2013 :  4:39:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the belated response, Chuck....I have indeed seen the Weirton video bouncing around some of the steel groups and thought it one of the best at depicting the daily ebb and flow of mill operations. Another aspect of the video I especially found helpful was the scenery; first, the piles of "stuff" haphazardly arrayed around the yard tracks and second, that there's often more "green stuff" existing in a mill environment than one might think. Maybe I should dig out the Woodland Scenics ground foam and add some more plant growth to Herr and Maclay Streets.

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 08/02/2013 :  4:43:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nhguy

Again, nice futzing Rick You did what I'm going to do with my background buildings. Mount them on foam core board and add some 3-d docks and awnings. Do I see a little static grass in there too?!?!? Nice.

Apologies, Bill...missed your question. Nothing there but regular old ground foam and maybe a couple of brambles...I keep pondering the purchase of one of those less expensive static grass units to give the scenes some 3D quality, but haven't as yet pulled the trigger.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/02/2013 :  7:04:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Harsco

...I keep pondering the purchase of one of those less expensive static grass units to give the scenes some 3D quality, but haven't as yet pulled the trigger.

Rick,

I was looking at some newsletters from other NMRA Regions, and came across this one. On page 5, there is an ad for a reasonably priced static grass applicator. I have no idea of how well it works, but the price caught my attention.

http://www.mwr-nmra.org/region/waybill/waybill20132summer.pdf

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Page: of 35 Previous Topic: hot wire foam cutter Topic Next Topic: HO Layout: Logging at the Turn of the 20th Century  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.95 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000