Railroad Line Forums - HTRR - Chapter 2
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 88 ]  [ Total: 92 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 HTRR - Chapter 2
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: hot wire foam cutter Topic Next Topic: HO Layout: Logging at the Turn of the 20th Century
Page: of 35

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 10/27/2015 :  4:07:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, Rick, we seem to be trending on black gondolas. I think black is a great choice for gondolas.

You always liked HARSCO and the logo centered on the car. So, that leaves two versions: A solid logo or outlined logo.

So, let's see what the members think of these versions and get their input!

Chuck

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 10/27/2015 :  4:31:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I like the bottom one

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

PEIR
Section Hand

Posted - 10/27/2015 :  4:47:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the top better. I think the logo stands out more but I would be interested in a pair either way.

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 10/27/2015 :  6:48:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
bottom gon. it's a real good look

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/27/2015 :  8:43:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My vote is for the bottom gon. And I agree with the black. The more I thought about it, I think yellow would be more appropriate for non-revenue service, not revenue service.

Mark

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 10/27/2015 :  9:59:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The bottom one is the one I like too. I like the contrast of the outlined logo to the heavy lettering.

So, Rick, what do you think?

Chuck

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 10/27/2015 :  10:21:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need a few!

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 10/27/2015 :  10:22:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bottom one!

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/27/2015 :  10:55:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If Rick goes with the lower black design, I'd take one.

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/28/2015 :  10:45:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit sjconrail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bottom. I like outlined logos better then filled in ones,

Phil

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2015 :  10:52:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the yellow gons with black lettering - whichever style - the yellow ones are unique...

You know, you could just send the art work to Lee English at Bowser and have some cars made up, then sell the whole car (as a kit). Years ago, I had a bunch of Twin Cheeks Beer (Tabooma Brewing Company, of course) made up through Bowser, and gave a few to the crew that was helping on my layout at the time, then sold the rest as a "fund raiser" for Tabooma County. It was an initial outlay of cash, of course, way more than an order for decals, but I more than made up for it and then some. Plus, all the cars were professionally done. While a lot of us can and do airbrush, there are also a lot of us that don't do that, but would probably spend the extra dollars on a car kit that was already painted/lettered. Just a thought.....

Al Carter

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2015 :  11:23:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Al,

We are pushing Rick to have cars made, not just decals.

I mentioned Accurail earlier in the thread. The appeal of using Accurail vs. Bowser is that they will do a run of cars with a number, but also supply number decals that match the body color and text color/font used in the car. You can overlay the number printed on the car with these decals. And, that is important for many of us who want to have multiple HARSCO cars on the layout. Here is Accurail's custom car information:

http://www.accurail.com/accurail/custom.htm

Besides deciding on the final scheme of the car, there is one other thing that is giving Rick issues in giving the go ahead. There is a real HARSCO prototype. So, Rick's concern is having cars made and selling them to friends and members.

Chuck

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/28/2015 :  12:15:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In speaking with Rick recently about this, he indicated that he his original thought was to make up a 'few' cars with decals with the thought that he would number each one individually and give them out to crew members. A lot of our local layouts do this, kind of like the old rail pass exchange. But the idea has taken off as a lot of other people have expressed an interest is getting a car or two.

Chuck, I like the Accu-Rail idea as they give you the option of easily having custom car numbers, something I think Rick wants to do.

As Chuck mentioned about, Rick's concern is that if he 'mass produces' these cars, there is a real Harsco and would there be any copyright infringement issues to be concerned with. He has tried writing to them but never got a response.

Mark

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2015 :  1:08:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And, if Rick decides to go the decal route, we can easily have both versions of the logo on the sheet. The only thing I need to know is how wide to make the logo, since cars have varying widths between the ribs and not everyone will use the Accurail car.

Chuck

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2015 :  1:47:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The beauty of doing cars instead of decals is you really have something to show and, lets face it, brag about. The added plus of making them available for your friends is that that more people will opt to buy a car already painted and lettered and place in service then something they have to shop for, paint and decal it. You already have a 'prototype' car for them to use on their railroads. Just my 2 cents. Bill

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Page: of 35 Previous Topic: hot wire foam cutter Topic Next Topic: HO Layout: Logging at the Turn of the 20th Century  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000