Railroad Line Forums - HTRR - Chapter 2
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: drailz22 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 HTRR - Chapter 2
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The grandson layout Topic Next Topic: Franklin Junction Layout Progress
Page: of 35

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2015 :  01:23:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You go right ahead and steal it Mark. After all, we steal from other modelers too! Bill

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2015 :  01:36:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Enjoying this rail repair industry discussion. You could use my workbench as a reference .

Oh wait we are talking prototype not model railroad car repair

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/08/2015 :  11:57:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick,

Are they still making steel down at Harsco, or has the economic downturn idled the mill?

"the sleep of a laboring man is sweet"

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2015 :  9:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BessemerBob

Rick,

Are they still making steel down at Harsco, or has the economic downturn idled the mill?

Still cranking out the rail, Bob....nothing of import being accomplished of late; the futzing continues!

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/14/2015 :  10:24:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Futz on and prosper

"the sleep of a laboring man is sweet"

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 05/15/2015 :  07:42:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Need rail for the branch line!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/15/2015 :  9:54:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When Rick futzes, there is always something to see! Perhaps he is making progress in Linglestown and not telling us???

Mark

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 05/18/2015 :  11:07:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have an operator and layout owner (Greg L.)that works at Evraz Steel (Old CF&I) in the rod mill. He tells some strange tails of things that go on there. If you need some info I can sure ask. His dad worked there too. Funny thing is that Greg models D&RGW standard and narrow guage in HO instead of a steel mill. Bill

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 05/18/2015 :  1:13:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rick, just getting caught up. Love those run-by videos! I really like your flatcar and gon loads as well. What a great looking layout from all angles!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 05/18/2015 :  10:10:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike...thanks for the comments; much appreciated!

Bill...steel mills weren't even on my radar until I started visiting US Steel Fairless on a regular (weekly) basis back in the Eighties; having full access to every part of an integrated mill, I saw (but really didn't understand) practically every aspect of steel making from ore, scrap, and coke to finished wire, pipe, and sheet metal. Everything about the place seemed larger than life and made an indelible impression on me. Problem was, having a camera in there would have meant permanent banishment, so in that time of pre-Internet I had to feverishly make notes and sketches to try to figure out how to model it. The noise, heat, dirt, and sheer busyness of the place was mind-boggling to experience.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2015 :  10:02:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time to wake this thread up!

SteamNut and I made it back to Harsco’s last Wednesday night to get things rolling on the newly expanded Commonwealth Branch extension into Linglestown…literally.

In our last installment a while back, we had finally installed the benchwork for the new area over staging. Rick was going to install homasoate and start tracklaying, but he will admit that this is probably his least liked part of the hobby, so SteamNut and I decided it was finally time to jump in and offer him a hand.

By the end of the second night, we had all the homasoate installed, track laid, feeders dropped and ran the first train into Linglestown!

This little extension on Rick’s layout is going to add a lot of interest to an already interesting layout! Besides a few businesses located in Linglestown that will be served by the railroad, there is also a colliery at the far end of town that provides coal to, among other places, Commonwealth Coke and in turn, Harsco Steel! Hopefully Rick will elaborate on any details, but one new train to the schedule will be a 24 car coal train that will supply raw coal to the colliery for sorting and cleaning, then distribution. This coal drag will require helper service to make it up the grade to Linglestown.

Of course, once everything was wired up and running, we had to test run the proposed coal drag that would feed the raw coal to the new colliery! So here are some pics that document this maiden run to Linglestown.

This first picture is taken at Lucknow. The train has already left the mainline and is snaking its way up the Commonwealth Branch behind Crosby & Sons.

Finally, the end of the train with the helpers tied on now starting to do their share of the work.

With the proud owner in control of the lead units, the train is making its way into Commonwealth where the track will level out for a short distance.

The train continues on its journey past Commonwealth, now headed up the grade into Linglestown. Rick and Bruce discuss their progress. Bruce is controlling the helpers.

Finally, the train is arriving in Linglestown.

Here is the new colliery, ready to receive its first shipment of black diamonds!

Rick is now working his train, shoving cars into the colliery.

And finally, the colliery is now ready to work its first delivery.

This is going to be a great addition to the HTRR. This ‘little’ area will provide a lot of interesting operation that compliments an already great layout!

I hope that Rick will document his progress here as he works his artistic magic on Linglestown.

Mark

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2015 :  12:40:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on the first train to the mine. Is this met coal?

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 08/17/2015 :  3:24:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That looks like a fun job. Congratulations on the first trip up the branch. Don't forget the colliery will need spare parts and machinery. An excuse to send up a boxcar or flatcar on the train.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/17/2015 :  9:29:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit sjconrail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The branch is looking real good Rick (and Mark and Steam)! Helpers? Did we not learn anything about our group and helpers from others' layouts?

Phil

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 08/17/2015 :  9:55:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys...Eric, to answer your question, yes...the reason I changed it from being a coal mine to a colliery was that the area I'm modeling only has anthracite deposits, which are decidedly NOT good for coking operations....so, the long coal drag Mark referred to will be a shipment of "metallurgical grade" coal from the bituminous coal fields in Western PA which will then be cleaned, sized, and sorted by Fishing Creek Colliery to satisfy the voracious appetite of Commonwealth Coke.

The branch itself is fairly small: about 20 feet long by 13 inches deep (deeper near the colliery) but will also include four or five sidings for local work in addition to the colliery. The old 12 car coal/coke runs that used to start in staging will now start at the colliery, stop at Commonwealth to swap processed coal for finished coke, proceed to Herr Street to deliver the coke, then return empty to the mine for reloading. Between the proposed coal drag, two coal/coke runs, local deliveries to Linglestown, and maybe an extra High/Wide to a customer, the branch should see plenty of action during a typical session.

What Mark left out in his posting was the head scratching that took place on how to physically get the proposed 24 car coal up the Linglestown Secondary; as it turns out, the crew has to go all the way to Maclay Street to run around their train, PLUS wait until their helpers come up...all of which will only add more chaos, confusion, yelling, screaming, weeping and gnashing of teeth on the Seven Miles of Sheer Hell Route's already overcrowded double track mainline.

This ought to be good....<snicker>

Page: of 35 Previous Topic: The grandson layout Topic Next Topic: Franklin Junction Layout Progress  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000