Railroad Line Forums - HTRR - Chapter 2
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 65 ]  [ Total: 70 ]  [ Newest Member: SanderR ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 HTRR - Chapter 2
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track
Page: of 34

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  07:19:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keystonefarm

Which direction from Harrisburg is the brannch traveling to ? If north then any coal from there would be anthracite. No good for coke making . Of course you can send it to Phila. or Baltimore to be exported to Europe to heat the U S Army barracks there. Coal for your coke plant would come from either the Pittsburgh Mon region or off the N&W at Hagerstown in your era. This is fun !!! I have a blast doing this on my Buffalo line. Have at it Steam !!!! ---- Ken

Ah,you caught me....

When the idea of this extension was first proposed, I was pretty sure there wasn't any coal being mined in the immediate vicinity of the fictional branch (which is north and east of Harrisburg). Knowing that anthracite does not make for good coking, I researched the area and found that Linglestown is located just a bit outside of the boundaries of the Southern Anthracite Field. Since 99.9% of my layout is fictionalized, I premised that any coal found in the Linglestown area would be bituminous.

So...that's my story and I'm sticking to it....

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  07:28:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steam Nut

Lets see, how deep is that crawl space, Helix for the second level, Loop staging, There has to be some way to use that space. Maybe the guts for the working mine to load those live loads.

Looks like Rick has put on one of those promo shirts from Target!

<sigh> Just HAD to poke Mr. Tape Measure, didn't you Ken?

And live loads, Steam? Really? With this group? I better buy stock in Hoover....LOL

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  07:39:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit sjconrail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rick, I was also thinking about industries appropriate for that area. How about a good sized brewery (live loads too?)? You'd have different type of traffic then found on the rest of the layout for the most part,

Phil

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  10:55:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sjconrail

Rick, I was also thinking about industries appropriate for that area. How about a good sized brewery (live loads too?)? You'd have different type of traffic then found on the rest of the layout for the most part,

Phil

Phil, a brewery would be good too...maybe call it "Lingle Beer"?

Being only 12 inches deep, anything I do on the branch will have to be mostly background based, with only a small amount left for the siding itself as well as a main and passing track. I would guess that a brewery would need covered hoppers in and insulated boxcars out.

Regardless of the industries modeled, Mark and I have to come up with a way to rotate cars in and out of the local, since it can't originate in Division Street due to the lack of space. This means a dedicated train from Enola, which kinda limits the variety a bit. I may have to resort to fiddling cars on and off the train between sessions in order to add a little randomness to the run.

Another idea I like is a car repair facility, since practically anything can be dropped off and picked up there...as well as a great excuse for some freshly painted cars. A paper warehouse can be simple and easy: boxcars in and out. Glass plant: covered hoppers in...and I doubt the finished product goes out via rail. Steam's suggestion of Cleaver-Brookes Boilers is intriguing since (in theory) they manufacture some large, pre-packaged systems that would require pipe and steel loads in, high and wides out.

As far as scenery goes, the long stretch next to the basement steps will be strictly trees and hillside.

Ultimately the goal here is to somehow reconcile space versus scenery versus operational interest versus believability....which, as we all know so very well, can often prove challenging.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  11:26:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An industry I grew up near made blow-molded plastic bottles. In your era, it was 3-bay ACF Center-Flows loaded with polyethylene pellets inbound and boxes of empty bottles out. You could add inbound cardboard boxes and an occasional load of ink or pre-printed film for the decorating department. In my case, the outbound empty bottle move was to a warehouse about 25 highway miles away, but I believe it lasted into the 1970s because the bottles weighed next to nothing and the RR was stuck with an existing rate.

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  1:20:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
LOL!! Aren't friends helpful Rick? Love it!

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  5:11:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I kid them a lot, but the ideas and assistance they bring to the table is always appreciated (minus helixes through the floor and into the CFO's living space). As many of my regular crew will attest, I will sometimes get vapor-locked on scene composition and getting a fresh perspective from someone else will often break up the mental log jam. I had been staring at the end of my Commonwealth peninsula for well over a year, trying to visualize what will work...a substantial coke works that really required more space, the need to somehow disguise a turn back curve, not enough real estate to do decent hill, etc. Then during our last session, Bob (BN Fan) pulls me aside and verbally paints a picture that instantly makes sense and will look great for the allotted space. Several years earlier, Joe (dnhman) did the exact same thing with Lucknow....everyone (knowingly or unknowingly) will eventually contribute something in their own way.....even Diamond Bill (sorry Bill, it's your turn under the bus).

From rolling stock to decoders and details to dispatching, the HTRR is really a collaborative effort....it wouldn't exist in it's present form without the merry band of gypsies, tramps, thieves, scallywags, rogues, and neer-do-wells who continually (and happily I might add) bust my chops.

keystonefarm
Section Hand

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  5:53:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick about a year ago I decided to do something with an industry in Falls Creek Pa. It had been Rescar Car repair in an earlier CR era and was used as a shop for on layout car repairs . In the current era it had no use so it sat unused for a few years. Then I decided to honor a late good friend Dean Freytag. I renamed the industry Freytag Fabricating. The idea is they receive inbound plate and structural from my mill in Buffalo and ship various fabrications. Bridge girders both snall and large , crane boom sections ( from NJ ) loader buckets to Catapillar. Boxcar and gon ends to car manufacturers ( extra parts from years of building kits ) Provides some really neat loads Yours is close enough that they could do large castings so a hot metal run to the facility would be a possibility.
------------- Ken

Edited by - keystonefarm on 04/30/2015 5:55:57 PM

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  7:13:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Years ago I sold welding equipment and one of my regular stops was a company called Tank Car Corporation in Oreland, Pennsylvania which repaired, cleaned and refurbished tank cars as well as other rolling stock. Their facility was a modelers dream, a conglomeration of corrugated sheds, storage tanks, wheels, trucks, couplers, and a small stucco office...as well as their own plant switcher. Neat place to visit and a good subject for modeling and operating.

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  9:48:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, it does sound like a great place to visit. Unfortunately they have been closed and gone since about 2009, with some environmental clean up concerns at the end.

Any chance you snapped a photo or two before the end?

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  9:53:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think a car assembly and paint shop for all of those gondolas HARSCO needs will fit into this area, nicely.....

Chuck

lv4142003
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  10:00:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tank Car Corporation in Lingelstown, Pennsylvania.... I like the sound of that. Hueber

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 05/01/2015 :  08:20:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thayer

I agree, it does sound like a great place to visit. Unfortunately they have been closed and gone since about 2009, with some environmental clean up concerns at the end.

Any chance you snapped a photo or two before the end?

Unfortunately no, all I have are distant and probably disjointed memories of the place. Being in the welding end, I usually had access to the shop space which would give me loads of ideas. Based on what I saw, environmental issues were probably involved, although I seem to remember an old stationary tank car used to store whatever was cleaned out of the cars. Discussing it with Mark (who will be incorporating a facility like this on the Northern Division), I recall a main building with perhaps three tracks going inside, a separate shed for painting, a few stationary tanks for storage and perhaps compressed air, an outside sand blasting area, and lots of cars lined up to be worked on.

Do you live in the area? If so, are the buildings and structures still there?

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 05/04/2015 :  12:58:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Rick,

I just bought an Evans Designs 'welding kit' for one of my industries. This is a 3 LED with rectifier to simulate welding. For about 10 bucks that could be a starting point for your rail repair facility which ALL railroads had at one time or another........Yuk, yuk, yuk.....Bill

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/04/2015 :  11:47:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, some time ago, Rick gave me the idea of modeling a car repair facility on my layout. I've run with that idea and have allocated a decent sized space to model such an industry. We've talked a few times about the potential of 'mini-scenes' A mini-scene using that welding kit sounds perfect!

I'm not sure if Rick is going to model this industry as he has been getting a lot of good ideas, but I'll steal your idea!

Mark

Page: of 34 Previous Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: Subroadbed, Roadbed and Track  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000