Railroad Line Forums - HTRR - Chapter 2
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 98 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: dancemark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 HTRR - Chapter 2
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Page: of 34

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2015 :  10:06:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update Mark.......I'm still trying to figure out how Steam and you managed to break into the house.

Has it been THAT long since the branch was initially conceived? Time certainly does fly, doesn't it?

There are many "fingerprints" all over this project that need to be acknowledged: Steam and his magic tape measure, Mark and his intense lobbying efforts, and last but not least BN Fan and dnhman for breaking through my modeling block. Now, all we need is Homosote, track, and a plan.

Bob: the ironic part is this extension won't measurably add to the traffic flow; preliminary plans call for moving the two existing coal trains from staging to the new coal mine and just adding a few cars to an existing Commonwealth turn. Having run out of track and real estate at Division Street, my operational guru now has to figure out where the extra freight cars for the Linglestown customers are going to come from (probably Enola).

Hats off to Steam for building a structure that can be driven on....I had my doubts at first, but it's not only rock solid, but laser straight too.

And yes, Mark...I will document the progress.

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2015 :  10:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Come on now, We put it up Wed. night, Its not done yet! LOL!!!!!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/26/2015 :  09:33:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The big question is will he have the track in and operational for the next session?

Mark

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/26/2015 :  10:00:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit sjconrail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Harsco

Bob: the ironic part is this extension won't measurably add to the traffic flow; preliminary plans call for moving the two existing coal trains from staging to the new coal mine and just adding a few cars to an existing Commonwealth turn. Having run out of track and real estate at Division Street, my operational guru now has to figure out where the extra freight cars for the Linglestown customers are going to come from (probably Enola).

There still air space over the other side of staging, right?

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 04/26/2015 :  11:08:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep!

keystonefarm
Section Hand

Posted - 04/28/2015 :  2:03:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks like a great place for some nice big industrial structures !!! They would be semi flats maybe 6'' deep. Wide enough to cover the two track staging behind them for the coal traffic from further down the branch !!! Just trying to throw some gas on the fire here . --- Ken

Edited by - keystonefarm on 04/28/2015 2:06:05 PM

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/28/2015 :  8:16:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit sjconrail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I noticed Bruce managed to get it's height at about the same height as the crawl space entrance too,

Phil

keystonefarm
Section Hand

Posted - 04/29/2015 :  12:20:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe there is room in there for a loop track with a flood loader . Good place for some coal traffic to originate. ---- Ken

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 04/29/2015 :  07:09:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good idea Ken, Now lets see we can loop in the crawl space, Come back out through the working loader and we can have live loads!!!!!!! I will start drawing some plans!

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 04/29/2015 :  08:34:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gentlemen, my sincere and heartfelt thanks for all of your wonderful comments and suggestions.....after giving each and everyone of them a great deal of deep thought and careful consideration:

Mark: no.
Phil: correct and no.
Ken: please don't encourage Steam and no.
Steam: no.

In all seriousness, the first (and most important) task is to figure out the customers and track arrangement; Fishing Creek Coal at the end of the line is a given, after that I'm pretty much stumped. Aside from the ubiquitous team track, other ideas include a glass manufacturer, paper warehouse, cement plant, or perhaps a pressure vessel manufacturer that will require yet another mainline fouling High and Wide during a session (I have several heavy duty flatcars on the roster and am not afraid to use them).

Another conundrum yet to be resolved is operational: having exhausted the capacity of Division Street yard, where will the Linglestown cars be staged and returned to? How will they be rotated?

Stay tuned!

sjconrail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/29/2015 :  09:01:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit sjconrail's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rick, how about nothing else up there besides the mine and team track (or lumber yard)? You've already done somewhat of a transition from urban to country with the Lucknow area. This area would be full blown "mountainous". Sometimes empty space/scenery is nice too,

Phil

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 04/29/2015 :  09:45:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cleaver Brooks Boilers had a plant not far from there, I can get you a few pic's of a real one before they tear it out and scrap it in the next few weeks. The plant got in slabs and sent out finished ones on flat cars.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/29/2015 :  10:28:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, I was trying to behave myself and not provoke any more ideas, but Ken might be on to something. I hadn't noticed how well the second level lines up with the crawl space. Loop track? Hmmm. Keep the ideas flowing Ken!

Mark

keystonefarm
Section Hand

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  12:30:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which direction from Harrisburg is the brannch traveling to ? If north then any coal from there would be anthracite. No good for coke making . Of course you can send it to Phila. or Baltimore to be exported to Europe to heat the U S Army barracks there. Coal for your coke plant would come from either the Pittsburgh Mon region or off the N&W at Hagerstown in your era. This is fun !!! I have a blast doing this on my Buffalo line. Have at it Steam !!!! ---- Ken

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  07:18:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lets see, how deep is that crawl space, Helix for the second level, Loop staging, There has to be some way to use that space. Maybe the guts for the working mine to load those live loads.

Looks like Rick has put on one of those promo shirts from Target!

Page: of 34 Previous Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000