Railroad Line Forums - HTRR - Chapter 2
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 11 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 93 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: Bridge ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 HTRR - Chapter 2
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers
Page: of 34

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2014 :  5:32:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It does look good. Question about your chain link: It looks like you're using tuille? If so, how do you get a straight cut so the fence wires are on a consistent 45 degree angle?

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2014 :  8:59:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good lord man, you have been busy. Taking another look at the area, and knowing what it did look like, you've made fantastic progress. Each photo reveals more details. I particularly like the third one down. Signs, fire hydrant, patches in the street as well as all the other details combine to create an excellent scene. Well done!

Mark

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 03/23/2014 :  07:44:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

It does look good. Question about your chain link: It looks like you're using tuille? If so, how do you get a straight cut so the fence wires are on a consistent 45 degree angle?

Good question, James...in my case, the answer is dumb luck.

Yes, I am using tulle and haven't been able to hit on a way to reliably cut it...the material can be a frustrating to work with. I've tried using an X-Acto knife, razor blade, and scissors to cut scale height strips with mixed success; I've even tried gluing the completed frame directly onto an oversize piece of tulle, then trimming off the excess. My problem stems mostly from trying to get a straight line..the stuff defies being clamped down with a straight edge....I always seem to end up with a ragged edge.

The results (in my case), have been hit or miss...there's a LOT of crumpled up tulle in my round file. If anyone reading this has a method or technique that works, I'm all ears!

PS: Not being a huge fan of ACC, I'm experimenting with substituting round styrene instead of the metal rod supplied in the Walther's kit....anyone else tried this? Any success?

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 03/23/2014 :  07:58:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys...thanks for the props; the only thing left now (after cleaning up) is to steal a few trees from somewhere else on the layout and put them in; one thing I noticed working in North Philly for fifteen plus years is that trees, weeds, and shrubs indeed do grow and even flourish in a cityscape, sometimes in defiance of all the concrete and asphalt around them. I do have a box of untreated Super Trees, but have to wait for warmer weather to do all the necessary dipping and hanging.

With this segment nearing the finish line, I'm gonna have to figure out what to tackle next; the Commonwealth Coke and Chemical site will need lots of research and picture hunting. While the main buildings are in, there's a lot of piping, pipe bridges, roadways, and auxiliary buildings needed. Alternatively, Maclay Street is missing the large rolling mills on the backdrop as well as finally detailing the BOF complex to an acceptable level.

Then again, there's always the Linglestown Extension....<cringe>

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/23/2014 :  10:57:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Harsco

Then again, there's always the Linglestown Extension....<cringe>

The tools are ready! Just say the word.

Mark

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 03/23/2014 :  11:38:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick,

Have you tried a "rotary cutter", like those used on fabric? I have a couple and use them frequently. They don't "drag" on the material you are cutting, because they roll over it. They are quite sharp. Mine are made by Olfa; here is a link to JoAnn's Fabric's website featuring a Fiskar's brand.

http://www.joann.com/fiskars-45mm-comfort-grip-rotary-cutter/10805174.html#start=4

I also use mine when cutting paper, like paper signs, or decals or similar. Quite a useful tool. Not guaranteeing it would work on the tulle, but I think it might. These tools are made for fabric, after all <grin>

Al Carter

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/23/2014 :  11:47:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Searching around, I find cutting tuille to be a big pain for tutu-makers. Some of them buy it in rolls, which I hope gives you one straight edge. Various people suggest wrapping it around something and cutting once to get multiple pieces. I am going to dig through my steel barstock looking for square in the 3/16 - 3/8" range.

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 03/23/2014 :  9:48:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Al, I hadn't thought about using a rotary cutter...that's a great idea, although I still have to figure out how to clamp the stuff firmly enough so it doesn't shift while cutting. As jbvb relates, one factor is working with large pieces; it needs to be hacked into a smaller, more manageable size that's easier to handle. I even tried taping an edge to keep it from wandering, but got mixed results.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2014 :  11:03:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again, the gang gathered at Rick's for another round ops and b-busting! Everyone seemed in rare form as we gathered around the snack table at the beginning of the evening, but eventually the superintendent got the crews to their respective positions and trains started rolling.

First order of business was to admire the newly finished area of Market Street, which Rick has already documented on this thread, but now I can tell you that the pictures don't do it justice!

Here are a couple of overall shots of the area taken from either side.

Rick's streets are really well done. He uses grout as described earlier in this thread, then weathers it with oil marks, patches and all sorts of other debris!

I tried to get a close up of the street area to show off a detail rarely modeled. Please pardon the quality as all I had was my phone camera, but hopefully you can see the cracks in the street. They are subtle as he used a sharp pencil, drew on the grout and then gently rubbed it with his finger.

Once everyone was done admiring his work, trains began to roll. We were a little short handed on crew members as two people had to cancel last minute, but we managed to stay on schedule all night long.

Here we have PJ Mattson taking one of the coal drags up to the Commonwealth Coke plant to exchange a load of coal for coke. Not one of PJ's more flattering pictures. Sorry PJ.

Steamnut volunteered to take on Division Street yard tonight. This is early in the session and he looks rather busy trying to figure out where everything goes! Division Street is not only the small classification yard for the locals on the HTRR, but the operator there must also handle local switching in this area as well, which keeps you pretty busy!

It looks like Harsco has recently generated some hot iron as we find John Rahenkamp setting out a hot bottle car at Capital Street.

As we take a look over at Herr Street, we find Bob, the Herr Street Operator tonight, working with PJ to get another hot load out of the complex.

Trying to manage this mess is a tricky and hectic job on the HTRR. Tonight, Chris has taken on this role and did a great job!

We were so shorthanded last night that we had to resort to letting management behind the throttle! Here we find our fearless leader, Mr. Harsco himself, behind the throttle of a hot move heading back to Herr Street.

Johm was the lucky one who got the Market Street job tonight! Here we see John sorting out what he has to pick up and set out.

And finally, it's near the end of the night and we find our fearless leader out on the road again, this time with a through freight! He has made his set outs at Division street yard and is making his way through Maclay Street and headed back to staging. I think Rick had fun!

As always, we had a great time. Rick and his wife provided lot's of snacks and goodies for the guys, the railroad operated perfectly and a good time was had by all. Thanks again Rick!

Mark

Red P
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2014 :  12:17:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Red P a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great photos. Looks like everyone had a good time.
P

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eightnotch/

Harsco
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2014 :  7:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting your pics, Mark....I managed to squeeze off a couple between assignments:

Mark getting his BF-7 through freight run from Chris:
[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/B_zps2598c484.jpg.html][/URL]

A couple of minutes later, I snagged a shot of the westbound BF-7 cruising past State Street:
[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/C_zps86eba73e.jpg.html][/URL]

To give the regulars a break, I took one of the much avoided Hot Runs and dragged some slag cars to Lucknow; here's the S-2 pushing the loads back to the dump ramp:
[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/E_zpsf2b5b9b7.jpg.html][/URL]

Diamond Bill maneuvering his engine back into Barrett Shingle to pick up their empty tar tanks; from there, P-83 will proceed to Commonwealth Coke, swap the empties for loads, then drop off four at Barrett on the way back home:
[URL=http://s229.photobucket.com/user/RBickmore/media/H_zps0944d8e8.jpg.html][/URL]

Although short-handed, the crew not only managed to hang in there, but actually finish up right on time....

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2014 :  11:18:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's interesting to see the difference in perspective between your photos and Mark's.

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/31/2014 :  08:09:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick, Mark thanks for the photo documentation of the opps session. I really enjoy seeing the "working" layout. now if we could just see some trains running on the Northern Division Mark!

"the sleep of a laboring man is sweet"

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/31/2014 :  08:16:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is good to see all the familiar faces. Those shots also give us a good idea of the status of your scenery/structure work. Nice.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/31/2014 :  10:25:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BessemerBob

Rick, Mark thanks for the photo documentation of the opps session. I really enjoy seeing the "working" layout. now if we could just see some trains running on the Northern Division Mark!

I'm getting there Bob. Hopefully we will see some trains running soon. Rick's layout is a big motivating factor for me!

Mark

Page: of 34 Previous Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.46 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000