Railroad Line Forums - S.S. BOB SANTOS "Sylvan" HO Laker Class Ship
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: Mark DeSchane ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Vehicle and Non-Rail Transportation Modeling
 S.S. BOB SANTOS "Sylvan" HO Laker Class Ship
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Tugs and  Barges  and Dredges on the Erie Canal Topic Next Topic: Not Traction, but tractors
Page: of 33

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  7:49:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,well just a quickie update tonight.
I have cleaned all of the decks with resin prep,and painted them a light grey today.
You can see them all in place in the photo below.I still have not glued them down yet.

By using painters tape to mask off the cabins,I was even able to get the walkways painted with the same grey.

I'm not certain if I like the white on the hull anymore.
Thinking of painting the entire outside with the flat black now.
What do you think?

To be continued.

Greg

Edited by - Ensign on 06/08/2013 7:50:50 PM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  8:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Greg,

Looks good. Black ?

How about black, with oil tanker red below like this?

Just throwing it out there...

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  8:38:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl,

That's going to depend on how Greg "loads" the ship. That red stripe on the tanker is indicative of an empty or partially loaded ship-- it's an anti-fouling paint that is normally underwater when the ship is loaded. Note that the ship is riding high in the water.

Since Greg added to the vertical dimension of the hull when he added the strengthener, this might provide an excellent incentive to "lighten the load" and show us some "red lead."

Pete
in Michigan

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  8:39:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carl,the area I was thinking of changing to black is the white gunnels.
I've outlined it in red in this photo below.
The inside walls would still remain white,just the outside gunnel walls would be black,like the rest of the hull.

I was thinking of adding the (red) zinc chrome primer colour showing on the bow & stern only.

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  8:44:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

Carl,

That's going to depend on how Greg "loads" the ship. That red stripe on the tanker is indicative of an empty or partially loaded ship-- it's an anti-fouling paint that is normally underwater when the ship is loaded. Note that the ship is riding high in the water.

Since Greg added to the vertical dimension of the hull when he added the strengthener, this might provide an excellent incentive to "lighten the load" and show us some "red lead."

Pete
in Michigan

Thanks for the additional info Pete!
Like I just said,I think I will add some red paint showing at the bow & stern only.

Greg

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  8:47:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pete and Greg,

Thanks for the quick lessons..

Never analyzed this stuff before, you are my teachers!

I already love seaside structures-this will definitely give me the impetus for me to build something sea-worthy someday!

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  9:21:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great to read Carl that this may inspire you to build a resin ship model one day!
The nice thing is,you don't have to really worry about making it sea worthy,just make it see worthy.

Greg

jbelwood
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  9:45:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Greg, she looks super. Can you tell us what paints you are using. My
model boat buddies still swear by Floquil but are starting to experiment
with other sprayable paints. Nothing specific yet. Just curious.

John

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  10:42:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,

I used MS Paint to give you a quick and dirty view of the ship painted all black.

George

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  10:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,
Personally, I would paint the middle island white from a line even with the white bulwarks up. This would follow what is called the sheer line, the line made by the intersection of the deck with the side. What you are calling gunnels are really bulwarks, the part of the hull that is above the deck line and the gunnels are the caps on top of the bulwarks.
I would also tape off the top of the sides and paint them to look like wood,(teak) caps.
Just my 2 cents.

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  11:16:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks John & George for your posts!

John,I am using spray can paint from "Model Master" paints for the grey decks & "Testors" Flat Black & Testors Flat White on the hull.

George, silly me! Why didn't I think of doing that.
Though looking at those crude red lines that I drew,I don't think it would be pretty.
Thank you for taking the time to do it for me! I think I like that better then my version now...Hmmmm!

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  11:35:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg

Beautiful job so far.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/09/2013 :  07:18:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg, She is looking great !!

I am a little worried about your statement about showing some red at the bow and stern
only. Since the bottom paint is applied in a straight line (waterline) I don't see how that's possible
on a real ship.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2013 :  08:05:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie Creek

Greg,
Personally, I would paint the middle island white from a line even with the white bulwarks up. This would follow what is called the sheer line, the line made by the intersection of the deck with the side. What you are calling gunnels are really bulwarks, the part of the hull that is above the deck line and the gunnels are the caps on top of the bulwarks.
I would also tape off the top of the sides and paint them to look like wood,(teak) caps.
Just my 2 cents.

Hi Philip,thanks for correcting me about calling the bulwarks,gunnels.
And your painting suggestion sounds like a good one,I'm just worried about repainting black areas on the hull white again.
If I get to much paint build up,I will start loosing cast in detail on the hull.
And I will see what I can do about painting the gunnels a wood colour.
Thanks very much for your 2 cents worth!

Greg

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2013 :  08:10:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgtbob

Greg, She is looking great !!

I am a little worried about your statement about showing some red at the bow and stern
only. Since the bottom paint is applied in a straight line (waterline) I don't see how that's possible
on a real ship.

Bob

Thanks Jerry & Bob!

Bob, you are right,and Pete mentioned this as well.
Perhaps I will go with his idea about just painting the wooden brace I added along the bottom of this ship.
That way the red paint would be in a straight line as you guys are suggesting.

Thanks
Greg

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Tugs and  Barges  and Dredges on the Erie Canal Topic Next Topic: Not Traction, but tractors  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000