Railroad Line Forums - S.S. BOB SANTOS "Sylvan" HO Laker Class Ship
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: Mark DeSchane ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Vehicle and Non-Rail Transportation Modeling
 S.S. BOB SANTOS "Sylvan" HO Laker Class Ship
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Tugs and  Barges  and Dredges on the Erie Canal Topic Next Topic: Not Traction, but tractors
Page: of 33

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/26/2013 :  1:19:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone, for your positive comments about the R.A.SANTOS!
I'm off to the cottage for a couple of days(shore leave),so work on this ship,is coming to a grinding halt until I return.
See ya when I get back!

Greg

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 06/26/2013 :  5:32:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, I don't know much about boats, but I recognize good craftsmanship and I'm impressed with your work.

George

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/26/2013 :  7:14:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg when you take her out try to avoid hurricanes.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/26/2013 :  9:20:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks unpleasant.

I can't see Greg sailing in weather that does things like that!

Pete
in Michigan

dti406
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/27/2013 :  11:40:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not notice this topic for some time and it is very interesting. A note on the Laker's Class of ship. Mainline Modeler Magazine did an extensive 4 part article on these ships in the Jun-July-Aug-Oct 1998 Issues including plans and a lot of pictures along with histories.

They were called Lakers as they were all built on the Great Lakes although intended for use on the ocean. They were just large enought to get through the Welland Canal and out to sea.

I also remember the Canadiana, for a couple of years it was used to go from Toledo to Boblo Island in the Detroit River.

Greg, if you would like copies of the MM articles I could scan them and send them to you.

Rick J

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2013 :  10:02:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent Job on the laker, Greg. I'm sorry I didn't notice your posting earlier. You ship looks a lot better than the small coastal freighter that I build last year but I only paid about 20$ for it and it's made of Paper and cardboard! (A much easier target for those U-boats)

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  11:44:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks George,Frank,Pete,Rick & Glen, for stopping in and leaving a post!

Frank, that photograph you posted,is an amazing shot!Showing us the awesome & terrifying power of the sea.

Rick,the instructions mention those articles that appeared in Mainline Modeler.
I would love to see them,I sent you a PM.
Thank you for your kind offer!

Glen,yes I remember your "Northern Venture" ship,I hope I remembered the name right.
It was a fun build to watch, as I recall.

Hi everyone else,I'm back from the cottage now and have resumed work on the R.A.SANTOS.
I finished of the upper bulwarks and have also installed the ships ladders.

I still have the handrails to make up for all of the ships ladders using brass wire.
Very much like the ones that Cliff made for his "GULF BREEZE" ship model.(shown on page 4 of this build)

I think next, I will work on the lighting aspects needed to make the R.A.SANTOS really shine at night.

Thanks for looking!

Greg

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  5:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work, Greg. The model is stunning. You deserve a vacation at the cottage!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/30/2013 :  6:38:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Remember "Safety First" get some handrails on those ladders and non-skid on the steps.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/02/2013 :  06:58:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Greg,

It's all really coming together...

Very nice but, when do we get dirty??,

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/02/2013 :  07:02:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work, Greg. It's really fun to watch you work.

What did you use to dirty up the yellow paint on the ventilators? (I ask because I need to create a similar effect on the yellow deck hardware on the carfloat barge.)

Don

Edited by - AVRR-PA on 07/02/2013 1:04:16 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2013 :  09:57:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AVRR-PA

Beautiful work, Greg. It's really fun to watch you work.

What did you use to dirty up the yellow paint on the ventilators? (I ask because I need to create a similar effect on the yellow desk hardware on the carfloat barge.)

Don

Thanks Mike,Frank,Carl & Don for your interest & posts!

Mike,I work harder at the cottage,then I do at home.Our cottage is on a lake called "Go Home Lake".I now call it "Go Home Tired Lake" because all I ever do there is work! It is a beautiful place to work though.

Frank,those handrails are coming! No bending template for them in the instructions.

Carl,I am slowly weathering things on the SANTOS,as I move along.

Don,I just used India ink & alcohol on those masts so far.I plan on adding a little rust here & there after I get the lights installed on them.

Thanks again everyone!
Greg

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  04:14:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love what I understand of your 'R.A. SANTOS really shine at night' program, Greg. No doubt it will be something to see!

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  08:24:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Greg, I hope you plan to have at least one of those cargo holds open seeing as you went to the trouble to adding sides and a bottom to them.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2013 :  08:28:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Merci Frederic!
I have not been working on the R.A.SANTOS this week,waiting for some parts I ordered to arrive.
So I kind of jumped ship for a bit,and have started working on my next tribute build.
Here is a sneak peak of it,see if you can guess who this tribute build will be for.

Greg

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Tugs and  Barges  and Dredges on the Erie Canal Topic Next Topic: Not Traction, but tractors  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000